Fuel problems

Greg Caudill

O'k, I am frustrated as hell! 2000 tj 4.0 My jeep started running rough at idle and it would die if you suddenly let off of the gas while driving. Then the other day it just quit running while I was driving it and would not restart. After some investigation I decided to check to see if there was fuel at the fuel rail and there was only a small dribble with ignition on or off no difference. I also could not hear the pump cycle in the tank. I replaced the fuel pump and regulator, put everything back together and it ran perfect. Perfect until I parked it back in the drive! No fuel again! Took everything apart again, no visible defects. I then hooked the pump to the power supply and cycled the ignition, the pump ran fine. Put it all back together and now f74king thing still won't run! Relays have been checked and they are all good. HELP! Any ideas could be helpful!

O'k, I am frustrated as hell! 2000 tj 4.0 My jeep started running rough at idle and it would die if you suddenly let off of the gas while driving. Then the other day it just quit running while I was driving it and would not restart. After some investigation I decided to check to see if there was fuel at the fuel rail and there was only a small dribble with ignition on or off no difference. I also could not hear the pump cycle in the tank. I replaced the fuel pump and regulator, put everything back together and it ran perfect. Perfect until I parked it back in the drive! No fuel again! Took everything apart again, no visible defects. I then hooked the pump to the power supply and cycled the ignition, the pump ran fine. Put it all back together and now f74king thing still won't run! Relays have been checked and they are all good. HELP! Any ideas could be helpful!

Had a similar issue in the Fall of 15' and it was deterioration of the wiring at the fuel pump disconect plug. I found the wires in poor condition so I de-pinned the connector and replaced the last few inches at the plug. Since you have an old pump now cut the harness off the pump and plug it into the body side harness and get a meter on the fuel pump power side to see what's going on. You should get 12V for a few seconds as you turn the key to run.

Reactions: Greg Caudill
I have checked the connector plug and there is good power there. The pump will run when I plug it into the connector without the pump being in the tank, but will not run after installed back into the tank. I guess that I am going to have to do a little more head scratching!

I confirmed power at the plug also but ultimately it was all about the harness. Drove me nuts for hours until I started pealing back the wire loom.

Reactions: Greg Caudill