Fuel tank filler tube mod to convert 15 gallon tank to 19 gallon

In reply to the suggestion by Chris: "it would be awesome if you could take some pictures of what you had to do. I say that because we need a good write-up detailing how to do this, since there isn't one out there I can find, not even on YouTube!"

First, here is a picture of my gas tank, dropped from my 1998 Wrangler SE. If you enlarge this you can read that it is part no. 52018687AB, what Jeep lists as the 15-gallon tank.

The picture also shows the two tubes: the thicker fuel filler tube and the thinner vent tube. Next is a picture of the inside of this tank, showing where the two tubes come in.

As many have said, you only need to cut off the thinner vent tube protruding inside the tank, not the thicker fuel filler tube. You do this by feel, since you cannot see inside the tank. The easiest way to do this is with a "PVC Cutter." This also makes a very smooth cut.

For those who are inexperienced, or mechanically challenged, or both (like me), it may be necessary to figure out the PVC Cutter. They are available from Home Depot for under $10, and from Harbor Freight for $7.50. They are all made in China, so it doesn't matter which one you get. They come with the blade closed, with no button to open it, and no instructions. As I learned from YouTube, you have to pull apart the two handles to open the blade. Then reach inside the tank with it, place it up against the side of the tank and around the vent tube that you want to cut, and start squeezing the two handles together to ratchet it closed. The first couple ratchetings are not cutting anything, then it engages the tube and cuts it easily like butter. As can be seen in the above picture, it leaves about 1/4 inch of the vent tube still protruding inside the tank. This cuts off about four and a half inches of vent tube, which can be seen along with the PVC Cutter in the picture below.

Thanks for this. Super helpful. Just did the same on my 97 SE.

Can anyone help me understand why it isn't necessary to cut the larger tube with the check valve? Seems like that would do all the work of stopping the incoming fuel flow as the tank gets full?

Plus, the pics in post #18 show that the "19 Gallon" tank does indeed have a shorter version of the wider tube, with the check valve. So should I cut both tubes shorter?

Thanks for this. Super helpful. Just did the same on my 97 SE.

Can anyone help me understand why it isn't necessary to cut the larger tube with the check valve? Seems like that would do all the work of stopping the incoming fuel flow as the tank gets full?

Plus, the pics in post #18 show that the "19 Gallon" tank does indeed have a shorter version of the wider tube, with the check valve. So should I cut both tubes shorter
Leave the large filler tube as is, fuel can only enter the tank as long as an equal volume of air is removed and the check valve only stops fuel flowing out not in and as long as the fuel is above the ball it will seek a level. When air stops venting the pump shuts off at full.

Leave the large filler tube as is, fuel can only enter the tank as long as an equal volume of air is removed and the check valve only stops fuel flowing out not in and as long as the fuel is above the ball it will seek a level. When air stops venting the pump shuts off at full.

Nice, thanks. Makes good sense. I already cut the thin tube, and will leave the larger tube as-is.

However, if you have a second, could you look at my post here and tell me if perhaps removing the check valve altogether would fix my inability to get more than 3/4 of a tank before the pump starts clicking off every 1oz of gas? It's been that way for years. If I'm REALLY patient, and if I keep pumping through dozens and dozens of clicks, I can get it to full.

Nice, thanks. Makes good sense. I already cut the thin tube, and will leave the larger tube as-is.

However, if you have a second, could you look at my post here and tell me if perhaps removing the check valve altogether would fix my inability to get more than 3/4 of a tank before the pump starts clicking off every 1oz of gas? It's been that way for years. If I'm REALLY patient, and if I keep pumping through dozens and dozens of clicks, I can get it to full.
You might want to remove the rubber vent host from the tank to the filler and make sure it is clear of any obstructions, that can foul the filling process.

You might want to remove the rubber vent host from the tank to the filler and make sure it is clear of any obstructions, that can foul the filling process.

Thanks. Will check it. And we’re talking about the thin tube now yea?

Yes, if that gets obstructed filling can be an issue.

@TJ4Jim

I appreciate the suggestion. Just checked that vent hose, and it is clean and clear. If you have any other ideas before I put this tank back in, I am all ears.

Who knows, maybe the fact that I shortened the part sticking inside the tank could help? Probably just wishful thinking.

Thanks again.

@TJ4Jim

I appreciate the suggestion. Just checked that vent hose, and it is clean and clear. If you have any other ideas before I put this tank back in, I am all ears.

Who knows, maybe the fact that I shortened the part sticking inside the tank could help? Probably just wishful thinking.

Thanks again.
Give the cut tube a try

Reactions: SSTJ
Ok I know this thread beat a dead horse, but I am confused here with mine. I have a 98 TJ, and my numbers state it is a 19 gallon, but I have ran mine empty well not to where I was stranded, but the most gallons I have ever put in it were 15. And my gauge works fine as far as I know. Meaning when full it sits a bit over full on the gauge and when empty I put 15 gallons in. I have had the Jeep for a while and it has been consistent.

I am putting in a new pump and I bought a 19 gallon. Are you stating that maybe the pump I have in there is a 15 gallon and my tank won't need the mod? I just put the 19 pump in it and all of a sudden I can put 19 gallons in it, or even though it is technically a 19 gallon tank, I still need to do the mod?

Or are you saying that my 19 gallon tank with a 19 gallon pump when the tank reads E with the light on still has two gallons of gas left in it so nothing changes, I can just run it for two gallons more on E? That is a scary option and I would really hate to rely on that.

With the people with 19 gallon tanks, when you fill up on empty and not empty for a while I mean you just dropped to the low end of the orange. Does it fill up to 15 or 19? Because based on the numbers I have a 19 gallon tank, but I have never been able to put in more than 15 gallons. Did I make sense at all?

Ok I know this thread beat a dead horse, but I am confused here with mine. I have a 98 TJ, and my numbers state it is a 19 gallon, but I have ran mine empty well not to where I was stranded, but the most gallons I have ever put in it were 15. And my gauge works fine as far as I know. Meaning when full it sits a bit over full on the gauge and when empty I put 15 gallons in. I have had the Jeep for a while and it has been consistent.

I am putting in a new pump and I bought a 19 gallon. Are you stating that maybe the pump I have in there is a 15 gallon and my tank won't need the mod? I just put the 19 pump in it and all of a sudden I can put 19 gallons in it, or even though it is technically a 19 gallon tank, I still need to do the mod?

Or are you saying that my 19 gallon tank with a 19 gallon pump when the tank reads E with the light on still has two gallons of gas left in it so nothing changes, I can just run it for two gallons more on E? That is a scary option and I would really hate to rely on that.

With the people with 19 gallon tanks, when you fill up on empty and not empty for a while I mean you just dropped to the low end of the orange. Does it fill up to 15 or 19? Because based on the numbers I have a 19 gallon tank, but I have never been able to put in more than 15 gallons. Did I make sense at all?
All that happened was that you got scared when you still had 4 more gallons.

If you didn't run it until the motor died, you are guessing and poorly at that.

Before I converted my 15 to a 19 with the vent cutback I never pumper more then 11 to 12 gallons on a fill up and since it's around 14 to 15 on dead empty. Most will say that is normal with the stock 19 gallon tank.

Reactions: Gollywomper

Hey, so as others have mentioned, you really can't trust the gauge that well. In order to know that you've really run out of fuel, you have to actually run out of fuel.

But you should also keep in mind that even if you really run it out, you might still be able to put in only 15 gallons before it starts clicking you out. That doesn't necessarily mean that the tank is full (it's not overflowing); it just means that your vent tube is telling the pump to click you out, because it thinks the tank is full. If that happens to you, you can read on this thread and others how to fix that problem.

All right thanks guys. I am dropping the tank now. I was just wondering if I needed to chop it or not, but if it is truly a 19 it is probably already short. Thanks for the advice as always.