Fueling Outdoor Power Equipment

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wanted to share a fueling option for your chainsaws, weed wacker's etc. A few years back I ran out of fuel in the middle of wacking weeds and the only solution at hand was a gallon of Coleman Camp Fuel so what the hell.

Well several years later it seems that this is a revelation as everything starts and runs like I used it yesterday, the weed wacker can sit in the shed for 6 months and starts instantly. Bought a new Stihl Wood Boss saw a few weeks ago and asked the dealer about the fuel and they said just run the correct 2 cycle oil.

I'm only using it in the small power tools as a gallon lasts quite a while, but having unadulterated fuel seems to agree with the fuel systems.

I get ethanol free and add stabilizer for all my small motors. Works great.

I think coleman fuel has a very low octane rating. Could be a problem under heavy loads.

ps Hello from Brookings! What's the best place to wheel around here? I've been here a few years now but just got my jeep a few weeks ago.

I get ethanol free and add stabilizer for all my small motors. Works great.

I think coleman fuel has a very low octane rating. Could be a problem under heavy loads.

ps Hello from Brookings! What's the best place to wheel around here? I've been here a few years now but just got my jeep a few weeks ago.
Power doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

I like to head up the North Bank Chetco and follow it back until there is a dirt road fork to the right. If you keep going it eventually leads towards Grants Pass. I usually just get off the logging road up in the higher elevations and see where it takes me.

Reactions: srimes
I have been using the trufuel in my small engines. Not so bad in the weed wacker/chainsaw but at $20 a gallon my big snowblower eats it up. I finally found a station with the ethanol free, so that will be my use next winter.

IF, I’m not mistaken, that Coleman Fuel is what us old timers once referred to as white gas. Would use it like you would use starting fluid today.

I like to head up the North Bank Chetco and follow it back until there is a dirt road fork to the right. If you keep going it eventually leads towards Grants Pass. I usually just get off the logging road up in the higher elevations and see where it takes me.
Oh man, Oregon logging roads. Used to get on them at either Estacada or Canby, and follow them all the way to the coast near Nehalem or Manzinata. Used to pick up logging road maps in the sporting goods department at Fred Meyers. Missing the PNW bad.

IF, I’m not mistaken, that Coleman Fuel is what us old timers once referred to as white gas. Would use it like you would use starting fluid today.
Well I guess I'm one of them, we always had a white gas container for the Tractor in the garage. Amoco unleaded regular back in the day.

Reactions: SPECWAR

I'll check it out thanks

Reactions: TJ4Jim
All my power equipment gets real gasoline, no ethanol. The two stroke stuff gets good oil too (Stihl). I have very good luck with that method.
Always enjoy where these threads go. Ethanol bad! (Hint it’s the other cheap shit they add that makes gas go bad)

For gasoline, I haven’t paid any attention to special fuels ever. I just add Sea Foam for the low use small engines.

Now I did have a problem with the Honda Z50 pit bike that had not been started for 4 years. It needed the carb cleaned.

Want good cheap fuel that doesn’t go bad? Go to your local airport and pick up some 100LL. And it’s still got lead in it!