Future and what path to take

harbiison

TJ Enthusiast
So i’m approaching my senior year and i’ve gone through 3 different career paths in 3 high school years. First i started off with the thought of being an architect and I love designing and drawing but the geometry and the complex math with it doesn’t seem to match with it. Later this year I changed my plans and wanted to pursue an economy degree with a minor in political science. But lately after being intrigued by my Jeep and cars for awhile and finally working on them I want to be involved in something like that. I spend every free second in school designing stuff in CAD or 3D programs and love every second. My teacher makes that class so enjoyable for me he is such a down to earth guy who restored a 69 Dodge Daytona and is a total role model. I have been thinking of mechanical engineering. I know it’s a lot of math and etc but if I really like it it’s worth the shot and effort. I’d love to hear some feedback.

If you have the math. Engineering. My uncle made millions with his engineering degree and smart investments.

If you want to work with your hands, get into a trade. Most pay 80-120k a year once your a journeyman. I’d honestly go that route as having to pay my student loans back SUCK. And mine didn’t pay off. I was at 100k a year but the shit I dealt with messed me up (law enforcement).

I’d rather be a sparky or turd chaser. Make more, no drama.

Pre warning this will be long winded, but might be quite helpful. skip to the end if you just want the advice

I knew what I wanted when I got out of high school, I was going to be a mechanic, and that's what I did. I started as an apprentice in late 07, sweeping floors and gleaning every bit I could from everyone around me. I was a fast learner and a hard worker, and in 5 years I went from sweeping floors to lead tech with an apprentice of my own, a year and some after I was running that shop. It was everything I had set out to do when I left high school, I had accomplished almost every goal 17 year old me had set for myself. I had done in 6 years what I thought was going to take me 10. It felt great, for awhile.... but soon it was just a job, I didn't have any thing to strive for anymore. Worse yet, I had been so focused getting to what I "wanted", I had never stopped to reevaluate what it was I actually wanted, but I made decent money, and I was good at what I did. The years kept passing, and I just kept doing my job, but little by little, I started to hate it. You will often hear guidance counselors say something like "Do what your passionate about", in my experience that's the fastest way to hate the thing you love to do.

I knew I had a problem, I knew I needed to do something, so what did I do? I did what every guy does, I buried it. I said it was a rough patch and I just need to work harder, and I piled on more work. Made the owner happy, his profits doubled over the next two years, made me worse. The one thing I had always loved, was now the thing I hated most, and then it happened. The best and worse thing that has ever happened to me, I tripped over an air hose, caught myself wrong, and tore apart my right knee. After the surgery, they said I couldn't go back to work for at least a month, and needed 6 months of pt. At that point the longest I had taken off work in the last 4 years was a week, I had to stay off my feet for twice that. Now with nothing to bury my unfulfilled feelings, I had to face them, I had no choice but to come to grips with the fact that "Everything I ever wanted" was not actually what I wanted. I didn't know what I was going to do, but I knew what I couldn't do anymore. I made it a week and a half after I came back before I gave my notice.

I couldn't bury it anymore, I couldn't do it anymore, the owner offered me more money, turned it down. I got several job offers from shops in the area, all for more than I was making, one for 30k more than I was making, didn't matter. There is almost no sum of money that is worth hating your life for 10 hours a day, that's not living, that surviving.

I let in to everything that scared me (that I might hate the only thing I've loved doing since I was 11, and I wasted 10 years on a career that I hate ). I dug into why I loved working on cars in the first place, and what it was that I actually liked doing, and when you boiled everything else off, the answer was I love the why and how anything works, and how to make it better. That points directly to engineering.

I'm still pursuing my degree in mechanical engineering now, and while its hard (seriously, its hard!) I love every minuet of it, and my only regret is that I didn't reevaluate sooner. I don't regret my former career (for the most part), the lessons there cant be taught in a classroom, and has actually given me a leg up on many of my peers. just don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy.

So this is my advise for you
, I've had several apprentices just like you, and what you need to worry about right now is not what you should go to college for, but rather what do you really like to do? Try to put together all the things that you really enjoy in life, and try and find a common thread between them. If you can find a common thread in everything you love, follow that! That is likely the underling drive for everything your passionate about. If you can identify it, Great go get a job! doesn't matter what it is, as long as it is tangential to that thread. Don't worry about school yet, fafsa not going anywhere. If you like that job, Great do it for a year. If you don't like that job, Great quit, cross it off the list of thing you think you'll like.

Now, before say "but I need a degree for that job", there is Always a job tangential to the job that needs a degree, that you don't need a degree for. The whole point here is to not spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, and years of your life to end up in something you don't like doing. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, so why would you buy a life without a test drive?
The number of apprentices I had that spent 30k and two years at tech school, just to find out that its not how tv makes it look, and quit within a year, was sickening, Don't be in that group.

Find something you love, try it on, and if you need to go to school to get the job you really want, do it. If you already have a job in a company that has the job you want, you will most likely have a job as soon as your out of school. If you find a job in the trades, and you love it, great! Don't be ashamed of it, it doesn't make you a second class citizen, and it doesn't mean you were to dumb to go to college. If anything, you'll be laughing your way to the bank when your friends with four year degrees are making 50k with 100k in debt, and your making 80k and just bought a house. In the end, don't worry about the money, if you work hard and are good at what you do, you'll make good money, or at the very least enough money. Worry about how you want to spend every day of your life, and never be afraid to change your mind.

my mom has enforced the saying “ if you live your job you never have to work a day in your life” she’s also very frequent in “ as long as you’re happy you’re successful”. happiness is really all i want money can buy you many things except happiness and it all seems to be true. so far i’ve dipped my hand into a little bit of everything job wise for now. i’ve done landscaping, restaurant work, and even worked at a tree farm. most of my school day is me 3d designing and using CAD to make cool stuff like signs and parts for my Jeep. all a boy could ask for is happiness

Reactions: Tomcat
I knew what I wanted when I got out of high school, I was going to be a mechanic, and that's what I did. I started as an apprentice in late 07, sweeping floors and gleaning every bit I could from everyone around me. I was a fast learner and a hard worker, and in 5 years I went from sweeping floors to lead tech with an apprentice of my own, a year and some after I was running that shop. It was everything I had set out to do when I left high school, I had accomplished almost every goal 17 year old me had set for myself. I had done in 6 years what I thought was going to take me 10. It felt great, for awhile.... but soon it was just a job, I didn't have any thing to strive for anymore. Worse yet, I had been so focused getting to what I "wanted", I had never stopped to reevaluate what it was I actually wanted, but I made decent money, and I was good at what I did. The years kept passing, and I just kept doing my job, but little by little, I started to hate it. You will often hear guidance counselors say something like "Do what your passionate about", in my experience that's the fastest way to hate the thing you love to do.
That speaks almost exactly to my experience. I've been obsessed with cars since I was a little kid, started working on them as soon as I got my driver license. Got serious about it after highschool, did a 2 year automotive program & was an ASE Master tech by the time I was 23. Lived & breathed it every day and was making great money for my age.

Then after a few years more I got burned out & my passion for cars practically disappeared. It was just a job, and I was happier on my days off (which were few & far between) than I was at work holding a wrench. I ended up joining the USAF at 27, right at the age cutoff, just to get a change of pace & see what else is out there. Used the military for college & ended up an aerospace engineer doing airplane stuff.

Fast forward 20 years, I have a job that is interesting, engaging, challenging, & rewarding. I have NO passion for flying or airplanes, but I like my job & I wouldn't trade it for anything. Sometimes doing what you love for a living isn't the best plan, it sure wasn't for me. Planes make me money, cars make me happy.

I'm a little confused. You said the geometry and math of Architecture wasn't your thing then listed heavier math alternatives.

I'm an engineer and it's like saying math is too hard for me so I'll try a physics degree instead.

If you hate sitting at a desk almost half the day, tailor your engineering to processes and and machinery instead. In my line of work, it's all stationary PC work. Someday I forget to eat or get up from 7 to 5.

I'm majoring construction management right now. Plenty of computer stuff like cad and other 3d design as well, as all the math, and swinging a hammer now and again. Seems like it checks a lot of your boxes. Similar to the engineering route but a little less insane calculus classes and more hands on stuff, which I like. Plus I landed some internships and was a union carpenter's apprentice over the summer which paid for living at college and the Jeep parts.

I'm a little confused. You said the geometry and math of Architecture wasn't your thing then listed heavier math alternatives.

I'm an engineer and it's like saying math is too hard for me so I'll try a physics degree instead.

If you hate sitting at a desk almost half the day, tailor your engineering to processes and and machinery instead. In my line of work, it's all stationary PC work. Someday I forget to eat or get up from 7 to 5.
Good point. Straight up engineering is laborious ass work even though most of it spent in front of a screen. Also there’s math :LOL:

I'm majoring construction management right now. Plenty of computer stuff like cad and other 3d design as well, as all the math, and swinging a hammer now and again. Seems like it checks a lot of your boxes. Similar to the engineering route but a little less insane calculus classes and more hands on stuff, which I like. Plus I landed some internships and was a union carpenter's apprentice over the summer which paid for living at college and the Jeep parts.
There’s a ton of stuff out there that’s a good mix. I’m called a “fielded engineer”, kind of an extension of the design engineers that live in the factory cubicle farm doing crazy math all day. I spend about half my day at my desk doing mathy data crunching & the other half out & about touching real stuff. It’s a good mix.

i know i contradicted myself with that statement but i guess using geometry and math for architecture seems different in my eyes architecture didn’t really appeal like engineering does i would be more willing to dedicate the time and the ethic to work on those and utilize more for engineering. idk if that really makes sense to you but to me it does.

There’s a ton of stuff out there that’s a good mix. I’m called a “fielded engineer”, kind of an extension of the design engineers that live in the factory cubicle farm doing crazy math all day. I spend about half my day at my desk doing mathy data crunching & the other half out & about touching real stuff. It’s a good mix.
i really like the whole hands on aspect and the cubicle idea. i’d love to sit a cubicle all day being completely honest. i’ve helped my mom multiple times while she was at work and sat in a cubicle and worked.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I've jumped around from job to job most of my life. Many of those I had training for and could turn into a career. Since I'm moving, I just quit a very nice job in Civil Engineering (job was great but the company and boss/most co-workers were soul sucking) and I'm about to take another offshoot of a career path related to only a part of my previous employment. (I'm well rounded)

I worked as a designer many years both 2D (AutoCAD) in utilities and architecture (Revit) as well as 3D (AutoCAD and SolidWorks). It was a lot of fun and taught me a lot of great fundamental skills. I got there thorough vocational school and don't regret it as it opened many doors later in life. But...it's desk work. If you like sitting on your ass (or these days a standing desk) than go for it but use it as a chance to branch off. I had that opportunity while doing utility design. Work slowed so I was given other duties which included field inspections. That's where I branched off and it made me an absolute shoe-in hit the ground running employee for the job I just quit as a Civil Inspector for a very large utility.

Point is, in my case, it's a job. I learned many years ago when I worked in law enforcement that you are not defined by what you do for a paycheck. It has the potential to be both beneficial and very dangerous if you do. Do what makes you not want to gouge your eyeballs out whenever you see your coworkers. Don't take it home with you. Live your life and do what makes you happy but remember that you don't need a job you love to make you happy. Don't underestimate vocational schooling. A little can go a long way and open opportunities to prove you can do the same job a holder of a higher degree can do.

And in my experience, Union jobs just teach you how to take shit, give shit, and get away with shit.

I've jumped around from job to job most of my life. Many of those I had training for and could turn into a career. Since I'm moving, I just quit a very nice job in Civil Engineering (job was great but the company and boss/most co-workers were soul sucking) and I'm about to take another offshoot of a career path related to only a part of my previous employment. (I'm well rounded)

I worked as a designer many years both 2D (AutoCAD) in utilities and architecture (Revit) as well as 3D (AutoCAD and SolidWorks). It was a lot of fun and taught me a lot of great fundamental skills. I got there thorough vocational school and don't regret it as it opened many doors later in life. But...it's desk work. If you like sitting on your ass (or these days a standing desk) than go for it but use it as a chance to branch off. I had that opportunity while doing utility design. Work slowed so I was given other duties which included field inspections. That's where I branched off and it made me an absolute shoe-in hit the ground running employee for the job I just quit as a Civil Inspector for a very large utility.

Point is, in my case, it's a job. I learned many years ago when I worked in law enforcement that you are not defined by what you do for a paycheck. It has the potential to be both beneficial and very dangerous if you do. Do what makes you not want to gouge your eyeballs out whenever you see your coworkers. Don't take it home with you. Live your life and do what makes you happy but remember that you don't need a job you love to make you happy. Don't underestimate vocational schooling. A little can go a long way and open opportunities to prove you can do the same job a holder of a higher degree can do.

And in my experience, Union jobs just teach you how to take shit, give shit, and get away with shit.
Currently at school i’ve done 2 years AutoCad and love working on that program and i’ve done an additional 1 and a half on SolidWorks and have a reasonable understanding of those programs and i completely adore them. I love creating and seeing ideas and expressions used. Nothing has been more satisfying than 3D printing a part for my jeep or even using the plasma cutter making signs of steel and etc. I just want to find a career path in your words that does not want me want to “gouge my eyes out” lol.

That speaks almost exactly to my experience. I've been obsessed with cars since I was a little kid, started working on them as soon as I got my driver license. Got serious about it after highschool, did a 2 year automotive program & was an ASE Master tech by the time I was 23. Lived & breathed it every day and was making great money for my age.

Then after a few years more I got burned out & my passion for cars practically disappeared. It was just a job, and I was happier on my days off (which were few & far between) than I was at work holding a wrench. I ended up joining the USAF at 27, right at the age cutoff, just to get a change of pace & see what else is out there. Used the military for college & ended up an aerospace engineer doing airplane stuff.
This would be funny if it wasn't so creepy, I got my ASE Master when I was 23, and the knee was when I was 27, I actually quit when I was 28 however

Math.jpg

i know i contradicted myself with that statement but i guess using geometry and math for architecture seems different in my eyes architecture didn’t really appeal like engineering does i would be more willing to dedicate the time and the ethic to work on those and utilize more for engineering. idk if that really makes sense to you but to me it does.
All jokes aside, like you I hated math in high school, saw it as something I just had to get through when I started my degree. However, since then it has without a doubt become my favorite subject. It is unfortunate how math is taught at a high school level, where you are asked to just memorize this and that, and regurgitate it on a test, all without ever knowing what it is or what it can do.

When you get up to some higher math classes (and physics for that matter), the things you are able to do, and the stuff you are able to figure out with seemingly nothing, feels like learning magic tricks some times. I wish that when I was in high school, being pissed about learning trigonometric identity's, thinking "there's no way I will ever use this, what a waste of time!", that one of my shop teachers had been able to show me how powerful that was in building and creating things. Don't say you don't like math yet, say you don't like common core.

Whatever path you take just remember, there’s what you do & there’s how you do it, the work is the work in any field but that same work can be great under some circumstances or suck under others. Specifically, other people lording over you can make for a miserable work day, so consideration should be given to going in a direction you can do on your own or within a partnership as opposed to the straight up employee route. This could be the difference between loving/hating your life.

Also, no matter what you do, live below your means, it will pay dividends & open doors you can’t even imagine at your current age.

As someone who graduated from Georgia Tech with a degree in mechanical engineering, if you don't enjoy math or aren't good at it, you will hate 90% of your time in engineering school. Every class is math based in one way or another. The math starts hard and only gets harder.

I was one of those kids who was fascinated by math, physics, and their real life applications thru engineering. I had been wrenching on cars since I was 14 and knew that it was for me. Even with all of that, the four years I spent in school were brutal.

Once I got out, I worked for a well known aftermarket company in the Jeep world and engineered/designed hundreds of parts for the TJ/JK/JL platforms. It was amazing until I got tired of the way said company was making decisions that I didn't agree with. I told them that I didn't agree with the way they were running it, knew that it wasn't my place to tell them how to run a company, and left for a job in a completely separate field and I'm much happier now.

I'm certainly not saying don't pursue it, just suggesting that you evaluate your relationship with the math and if it's something you can handle. As @PNW Lj states above, it's almost magic how you can figure things out once you understand it and appreciate it for what it is.

In my four years (130ish credit hours) of classes, I only took 3 credit hours (one class) in CAD for my engineering degree, and another 3 for my industrial design minor. If you really like CAD but not math, it's worth looking into an associates in drafting or the likes. If you like understanding how things work, why they work, and how they interact with the world around them, then the engineering degree is for you.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Lots of great points in the above posts. My overall recommendation would be to get multiple internships! If you don't have an internship for this upcoming summer (your last in high school) I would definitely recommend doing that. There has got to be at least one engineering/design/manufacturing company in your area that would love an intern for CAD work or other small projects.

Like you, early in high school I wanted to be an architect, so I interned for a landscape architect after sophomore year and got exposure to AutoCAD. I enjoyed it but didn't love it.

Next summer I interned for a design/mfg company as a design engineering intern, and loved it... got to use Pro/E (similar to SolidWorks)... was able to walk the floor, talk to people, work in the shop, learn about how the products were made, get their ideas about how to make them better, etc.

Next summer (before starting college) I interned for the same company as a manufacturing engineering intern... primarily designing fixtures and implementing DFMA improvements. I enjoyed that as well and it helped me realize I preferred mechanical engineering to industrial engineering.

I went to college for mechanical engineering. Didn't love the math but got through it. Really loved my design courses. I didn't have any internships in college but wish I would have. I minored in Business because I knew ultimately I wanted to eventually transition into operations/mgmt after working a few years as an engineer.

After graduating, I found a job with a small design/mfg company and absolutely loved it. Most of my time was with Pro/E designing parts and assemblies, and the rest was on the machine shop floor helping the guys to interpret GD&T, designing fixtures, testing prototypes, etc.

After a few years, I became the "top" engineer and realized I needed a change because I no longer had any mentors to continue learning from. I made the transition into operations by joining an oil/gas company as a Project Buyer, which is in the supply chain / procurement field and basically is someone who is technically competent enough to collaborate with the company's engineers and serve as an intermediary with suppliers on new and existing products.

Now, ten years later, I'm still in Procurement and loving every minute of it, but don't regret my path or engineering background at all. In fact, I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

So, to summarize, I am a strong advocate for internships throughout your high school and college career, because they not only provide you exposure that enables sound decisions about your future, but help with networking and actually landing a "real" job, and typically they pay relatively well for that point in your life. Good luck!