Future problem for many of us?

fdpeanut

Supporting Member
Hello all! I have been trolling through this site for a yr and a half now. I have finally joined. I am no stranger to a forum and its use. I was on Titantalk and TKF before. Others I have just searched. This TJ forum is a good one. Thank you for all the resources available. I even downloaded and PRINTED the 1998 chrysler service manual all close to 1200 pages just to have and scribble all over as I keep this thing in great shape and fun!

Now to business......
I have the dreaded and common problem with the gauge cluster going out. I now know what my problem is. I need a new Airbag Control Module 56010105AD. When the gauges go out, I smack my Airbag Module with a tool and everything comes back. It has been repeated over and over again. Previous to this I have cleaned all grounds, resoldered my wiring harness after cleaning both harness and pins many times and bathing them in dielectric grease, replaced my gauge cluster, checked the pcm connections, checked wires behind the dash and in the engine bay, checked and cleaned ALL fuses (very dirty), and had narrowed it down to the clockspring, pcm or airbag module. When driving a couple of days ago I had the idea (Not the best idea now that I know the module also houses the trigger for the airbags (Thanks Mr. Jerry)) to smack the airbag module with a chunk of metal. I reached in the glove box pulled out the lug nut key and gave the module a quick smack with the key. Instantly gauges came back. Whoa! It was the only thing that has worked! Over and Over again.

I have ordered a used one from Ebay as a last resort. I cannot find a new one anywhere. I wanted a new one since I'm just rolling the dice ordering a used one that comes from a supply of other modules that is common (or so it seems) to fail. Does anyone know where I can find a new one or refurbished/aftermarket? I'm willing to pay. I have exhausted all my avenues and have spent probably 8 hrs searching this subject on this forum, others, and calling/visiting parts suppliers and oem dealers. So far the closest I have come is a Mopar Site with a part number 56010105AB, which is the earlier model. I don't know if this part will work. No one can tell me that either. So far, which is why I am spilling my guts on here. Please give me any info. Please respond. Even if it is just to tell me I am an idiot so I know someone has seen this post.

As for the future part. This will be a problem that won't go away. Does anyone know of someone or business that is even aware that they could make money with this? All these Jeeps, Dodge Rams/Durangoes, and other vehicles that will have this problem in the future and can't get one to keep a good vehicle running in great shape. I Love my TJ!!!!!! I will start planning for the future on having to build a dash with aftermarket gauges to keep it going in the future. Wrangler fix does the engine computer. Why won't anyone touch the airbag computer? Is there a law against it? Is there too much liability? They have aftermarket airbags, the clock springs and other parts, but once the computer goes out it all is dead. Does anyone have any info?

I know this was long. Especially a 1st post. Sorry. I have a lot invested in my TJ. Thank You for reading. Please respond, even if it's just to give me a middle finger because I missed a thread and show me the thread I missed.

Please give me any info. Please respond. Even if it is just to tell me I am an idiot so I know someone has seen this post.
After reading through your post, the most idiotic thing you can do is to smack the module with anything. If you have no experience working with an SIR system, I suggest you don't.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
I agree with you. I was an idiot. I was desperate though. Been working on this gauge problem for over a month.
I appreciate a reply.

Did you try car-part.com, there are wrecking yards everywhere with Jeeps sitting in them? Personally I'd just roll the dice a few times on a used one.

I looked there. Prices were high for the same parts from somewhere else like ebay. I had found some from yards here in San Antonio and they also were high. Some were from wrecked vehicles too. Why would you use a module that is basically a one use item that is useless after a wreck? Thanks for the heads up.

I part out alot of tjs and usually scrap those modules because there is zero demand which tells me they aren't prone to failure. I think you may be searching for a problem that doesn't exist 99% of the time

Reactions: williambmac
I part out alot of tjs and usually scrap those modules because there is zero demand which tells me they aren't prone to failure. I think you may be searching for a problem that doesn't exist 99% of the time
Already learned something from this. You are now giving me some relief after ordering a used one. I didn't get that impression from everything I have searched and read. Thank You very much. As I said earlier, I was desperate. I also know you can get a false sense from the internet, but sometimes its the only resource I have. Thank you again.

Already learned something from this. You are now giving me some relief after ordering a used one. I didn't get that impression from everything I have searched and read. Thank You very much. As I said earlier, I was desperate. I also know you can get a false sense from the internet, but sometimes its the only resource I have. Thank you again.
If you need one I think I have a couple laying around you can have for shipping costs

If you need one I think I have a couple laying around you can have for shipping costs
That would be great. Yes I would. I will try to pm you. Being new I’m not sure I can just yet. That is quite generous of you. I really appreciate your hospitality.