Garage accident...

Thanks, man. Had all the tools out and garage wide open. What's a guy to do? LOL Once I determined there was no bleeding, I figured I was fine. Lots of weeping on the skin, though. Lots! It's a weird feeling of numbness and burning both at the same time. And I don't even have any whiskey to self-medicate! This is a bad day! :eek:

Bummer!!! Time to stock up on some of grandpa's cough syrup. I keep some around for emergencies at all times ;-)

OUCH! I guess you should have been braiding that beard. Or at least tie it up.
542FA511-8A6A-41CE-85A0-2DB568732B3A.jpeg

Reactions: Squatch
Oh wow! As bad as that is, and as much as I am very sure that hurts, it looks like it was close to something that could have been much worse.

Misery loves company, right? I have a story...
I used to own and race stock cars (oval asphalt track). When I was at my shop working on the race car, several of my friends gravitated to the shop to "hang out". Mostly an excuse for them to drink beer and watch me work. Every group of friends seems to have "that guy" who tends to drink way too much and do things only HE thinks is funny. Well at the time I had my race car, I had long hair (hey it was the early 90's), about a third of the way down my back. So I am sitting on my creeper, packing the front wheel bearings on my race car. Air drill was sitting on the floor from when I was redoing the rivets on the fender. Idgit decides to pick up the air drill and make noise when anyone is talking..... WRRRR....... WRRRR...... WRRRR. So the dumbass thinks it will be real funny to try an braid my hair with this danged air drill. I never knew what hit me...WRRRRR, and a big chunk of my hair in the back is gone and the other guys are all saying "holy SH**". That hurt so flipping bad...bad enough at first, but much much worse for the next day or two. Same rash as your chin/neck...bled some....afterward was like a burn and it put out a bunch of fluid. But the area was at the base on by hairline on my neck, smaller than your area. I treated it with antibiotics and the pain subsided in a couple days. The hair grew back. But I did get my hair cut and have not had long hair since. To this day though that area is very sensitive and I have to tell barbers that cut my hair to be easy with the trimmers in that spot.

That dude was no longer welcome anywhere near my race car shop. Drunk or sober... Prolly should have kicked his arse...

Reactions: Chris and Squatch
Yeah, I have been known to tie my hair back (had long hair and beard since late '81/early '82...old hippie!), as well as tie up the beard. Really thought I was a safe distance from the drill, but obviously wasn't anticipating it slipping and heading right at me. Had the bit been drawn into my neck...well, it could've been a different story, for sure. As my son-in-law said, I could've finally got that hearse I've always wanted! LOL

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Bummer!!! Time to stock up on some of grandpa's cough syrup. I keep some around for emergencies at all times ;-)
That's where you got it wrong. Grandpa's cough syrup is a preventative medicine that must be taken daily.

Glad you weren't hurt badly. Be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Thanks guys. Doing fine. the numbness and burning sensations are gone (weird combo). Just a sensation that something happened in the area. Another "life lesson" in the books!

Reactions: StG58
Wow! looking at those pics makes my eyes water! I'm so glad to hear that you are OK. One of my friends got is hair caught in a Bridgeport mill. Fortunately it didn't wind him into the spindle and kill him. He had a giant oval of bare skin on the top of his head though....
Be careful out there man, it can blow at any seam!!!!

Wow! looking at those pics makes my eyes water! I'm so glad to hear that you are OK. One of my friends got is hair caught in a Bridgeport mill. Fortunately it didn't wind him into the spindle and kill him. He had a giant oval of bare skin on the top of his head though....
Be careful out there man, it can blow at any seam!!!!
Read a story last night of some 22 year old female student (at Yale, I think it was) who was working a lathe alone at night. She got her hair caught in it, and they found her body the next morning. Death by asphyxiation. Not trying to be melodramatic here, but it does give a fella pause to think. I think I'll be approaching things out in the garage with a heightened sense of awareness for quite a while. Even @Ranger_b0b's comment about welding upside down (from underneath a rig) and the molten metal dropping onto him was something I could see happening and getting really damned uncomfortable in a hurry. Anywho...glad it wasn't worse. More precautions from here on out!

Reactions: Mike_H
Come on Squatchy, a prepared car guy always has a stash of the good stuff to quell the pain. Glad you're ok brah. Beard, not so much. You should take that wad of beard, frame it, and call it "Baby Squatch"!

Sheesh.. that's a major Ouchy, bro. I've wadded my pant legs and sleeves up into a drill bit, but never had hair long enough to worry about. Now I don't have ANY hair, so...

The welding spatter...yeah. I got a leather jacket in a hurry. Had one drop onto the mask, and melt through. Thankfully I saw it before it landed on my chin (literally saw it burning through). Glad I'm done with that for now. Next time I see holes, I'm going shopping for a new tub from Down South!

Glad you're OK. Things can happen in a hurry. Be careful out there.

This incident does make me think more seeing I’m so inexperienced in the garage and working with tools,I’m even more at risk. Dave try’s to warn me of things he thinks of, but with me being careless and always in a rush, I’m gonna be thinking more when I pick a tool up and ask more questions about how could this hurt me . I’m glad the pain has subsided

Reactions: Squatch and StG58
Come on Squatchy, a prepared car guy always has a stash of the good stuff to quell the pain. Glad you're ok brah. Beard, not so much. You should take that wad of beard, frame it, and call it "Baby Squatch"!
"Baby Squatch"......new born..only a day old.:risas3:

This incident does make me think more seeing I’m so inexperienced in the garage and working with tools,I’m even more at risk. Dave try’s to warn me of things he thinks of, but with me being careless and always in a rush, I’m gonna be thinking more when I pick a tool up and ask more questions about how could this hurt me . I’m glad the pain has subsided
Young or old, experienced or not, we can all benefit from staying alert and being more aware of the potential risks involved in what we're doing. I work in a shop with 60-ton punch presses, as well as clamshell presses. I've been there 34 years, and had to deal with a number of serious accidents. Amputated fingers and portions of the hand have happened. One young woman developed gangrene after her injuries, and ended up losing her arm up to the elbow. But by far the worst was a fatality. An operator somehow ended up head-first inside a clamshell press. The press' safety worked to stop the press, but it was far too late. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say it wasn't pretty. It doesn't have to be a monstrous piece of equipment to have devastating results, either. The only serious injury that has happened on my crew in all these years has been the result of a fall from a ladder. He was reaching so far over to retrieve something that he lost his balance, and fell. He ended up paralyzed from the neck, down. Thirty six years old, and his life was changed forever, all because he didn't take the time to just reposition the ladder to a better position. I still think about him often, as he wasn't just my operator, but a great friend. Anyways, I didn't mean to go on like that. Still, if it makes someone stop and think a bit before doing something, then I have nothing to apologize for. I'm done now...

Last edited: