Garage Lighting

Tr0ut

Supporting Member
I’m getting ready to start installing a new lift on my Jeep and realized my garage lighting is in no way up to the task. What kind of lighting do you guys like? Is it best to light up the whole garage or are some simple led task lights good enough?

A paint booth has the best lighting with light down the walls as well as above, but not practical. Wall space is at a premium with cabinets, hanging tools/supplies and of course the big screen TV.

If possible angle some lights from the top of the wall if you have space. Of course plenty of lights from the ceiling. I throw stick lights under the vehicle to get light and you can grab one to put up into the frame and let it hang or to shine light where its needed at that time.

I use overhead led shop lights in different work zones up high. It helps but when you are down low I think you still need spot lighting to see things well like @Kid Mechanic says. The standard long hanging lights are easy to move around and get exactly where you want them and provided good light. Don't get fluorescent, in my opinion they are not good. One light per car bay is a good ballpark number and one over your main work area.

3+ years ago I replaced the two (2) bulb florescent fixtures that came with my garage.

I went we these fixtures after several bad experiences with HD fixtures.
https://www.primelights.com/products/the-bolt-2-lamp-led-shop-light-5700lumens-pl-blt44wclAt the time these fixtures were less than $45 on a Black Friday sale. Not so anymore but I’m very happy with the fixtures and the company service.

This picture shows the two fixtures over my main work area and two additional fixtures over the front of each vehicle bay.
EAFDFABE-EC96-4BA0-A92E-42EA33932C11.jpeg

I’m still using a pair of fluorescent fixtures over my metal topped bench. These may get replaced someday but they work well with the large reflector and I have a number of spare tubes and ballasts.
7BCE186F-2560-4C93-9F1B-64EE422F51DF.jpeg

Having lots of light especially over my benches is a must for my old eyes.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I’ll definitely go LED overhead and some hanging lights for under the Jeep. Those BOLT fixtures look like a great option.

I also use use the "bolt" from prime lights. I bought 10 to go in my 20x25 garage and 4 more to go in my dark basement. Highly recommend.

Reactions: jgaz
My two-car garage has 4 main LED shop lights controlled by the switch by the door. I watch Costco or Walmart for sales on LED shop lights, and pick up a couple every so often. I hang these where I need them: two on each side of the Jeep, one over the workbench. These are just switched with the pull-cord whenever I need light in that area.

Laying a spare LED shop light on the floor under the Jeep gives a lot of light where you want it, and you can kick it around as needed.

Harbor "fright" was having a really good sale on the single 'tube' non-linkable, pull chain LED fixtures last year so I bought 18 of them. But before that I had my shop wired for my 240v air comp. and added several ceiling sockets in strategic locations installed.
So I don't have to light up the whole shop if I'm only in a small work zone.
One of those lights has been a dedicated floor, kick around light for such times.

All this happened last year but , before that, I had the shop ceiling sheet rocked and insulated with 16" of blow-in warmth and sound (tin roof) deadening happiness. And I installed a attic exhaust fan for our short summer temps.

Reactions: Blondie70
I played with a lot of things over the last few years to get where I am at now. Since my ceiling has bulb sockets that is where I started. I went through CFLs (total rubbish) and a number of early LED bulbs. Currently I have four of the as seen in the home depot winged leds but they are not so durable with the dirty power we have here. Slowly I am replacing them with Philips high output bulbs that have held up better. Four the work area I am using four foot linkable leds (mine are Maxxima brand) now that the price is a lot more reasonable.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: Irun
In addition to LEDs in the overhead and throwing a tube light on the deck when I have to get under a vehicle I keep a couple USB rechargeable headlamps on the charger for task lighting where ever I'm looking.
I use those headlamps all the time, ALL THE TIME.

I had six 4 winged LEDs in my barn with 12 ft ceilings. Very bright, but only lasted a year. Put these in a couple months ago, but not happy with them. Not as bright and I expect another short life span. Following this post for more suggestions.

Start with painting the ceiling with a highly reflective white if possible. Also the top 6 to 12 inches of the walls, if possible. Those with the typical garage, painting the inside of the garage doors, cabinets, walls where you can, etc. a gloss white is also good. This allows whatever lighting you choose to reflect from all directions, especially downwards where you want it. Working on anything in an area where you have enough light to do surgery is great!

I almost picked up a couple of those winged LEDs from Home Depot yesterday, they looked a little gimmicky so I passed. I did get LED tubes to swap out in my fluorescent fixtures and picked up a couple more fixtures. I like the painting suggestion, I bet that makes a huge difference. I'll try to tackle that this weekend and get the new fixtures installed.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Reactions: pagrey
I played with a lot of things over the last few years to get where I am at now. Since my ceiling has bulb sockets that is where I started. I went through CFLs (total rubbish) and a number of early LED bulbs. Currently I have four of the as seen in the home depot winged leds but they are not so durable with the dirty power we have here. Slowly I am replacing them with Philips high output bulbs that have held up better. Four the work area I am using four foot linkable leds (mine are Maxxima brand) now that the price is a lot more reasonable.

View attachment 312534

View attachment 312535

View attachment 312536

View attachment 312537
We ended up with a very similar setup. I used six of these (two in each vehicle bay) and three 4 foot LEDs over the tool box and workbench. Two years gone by and I've had no failures, so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VRDS785/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Blackjack
I use two twin tube 4' T8 fluorescent fixtures per garage bay, they look like the ones in post #4 - I got them for $20/ea at Home Depot. They're not as exceptional as I hoped. My shop also has two regular interior LED bulbs (whatever replaces the standard 60W interior bulb these days), one in each bay, on a separate switch (was there when I bought the house). I feel like that still adds light even when my tube light fixtures are all on.

Fitting some type of reflector on the tube lights may be key - there's a lot of wasted light otherwise. I've had no time but fabricating metal wings from aluminum flashing and using mylar film and spray adhesive might work wonders. Of course at this point maybe I'll prefer to just install extra light fixtures to save time and money.

Reactions: Blondie70

View attachment 312534

View attachment 312535

View attachment 312536

View attachment 312537 best tv for cold garage

Do many of you have TV's in your garage? If so what size and can you post pics of where you have it set up at? I'm looking into setting up one in my garage just not sure on the size.

Do many of you have TV's in your garage? If so what size and can you post pics of where you have it set up at? I'm looking into setting up one in my garage just not sure on the size.

I do not just tunes. I am sure others do and will chime in.