Garage safety

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I know Dave would cringe if he knew I was posting this, but seeing I’m new to spending time in a garage working on vehicles I’m realizing how dangerous it can be. From tools, to big welders sanders, grinders, saws, blow torches,chemicals, oils, gas, on and on and on. I feel that Dave is far from safe when doing stuff and being aware of what he shouldn’t be using around certain things and what is putting us or the building at risk of blowing up, etc.. there’s times I walk in there and it smells of some chemical or smoke or god knows what. I’m just waiting for it to blow up.

I’m wondering if there’s any good resources, videos, info that would give me a crash course in dos and don’ts of working in a garage?

:sifone: depends on what kinda 'smoke' you talking about hehe
Aside from human smells :ciappa: the safest things I would recommend would be put things that are combustible in a metal cabinet well away from the working area...you garage is huge so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. (although Dave has probably filled up most of it buy now haha)

Don’t even get me started on him filling it up. I’ve had one meltdown already and spent 2 days organizing the workshop already seeing he had it completely filled and a mess. I couldn’t even stand being in there. That was maybe 2 months ago. And it’s almost back to where it was before. He’s got stuff everywhere . He’s now starting to organize it. I know he has so many solvents and oils and stuff and they are in Cabinets but they aren’t metal. We might need to rethink some of that.

haha in his defence it does take a while to work out how you use the garage and so where to put things....Metal cabinets are as cheap and chips out here...so I'm guessing its the same out there too. (it would be a good start)

Yes, that’s exactly what he says. He needs to figure out where everything needs to go. Thanks for the tips !

I’m wondering if there’s any good resources, videos, info that would give me a crash course in dos and don’ts of working in a garage?

Unfortunately that men do know better but..... we do it anyway.

But for information on safe work shop practices i would not recommend YouTube. I would read the warnings and dangers on each piece of equipment/tool that you intended to use.

For example a cutting torch "might" say the you should have a fire extinguisher within xxx number of feet. And keep flammable items xxx number of feet away.

But basically it boils down to if it spins it can grab you. It its hot it can burn you.

The 2 most important things i can think of ( and ones i never follow ) ear plugs and eye protection.

Reactions: Kathy and Kiwi TJ
Oh yes. We need to get a fire extinguisher out there. He was working on one of our toys the other day and it was smoking. He didnt seem bothered by it, but I sure was. Tanks are filled with gas and oil is near by and parts are smoking. Not good in my book. I guess my inexperience makes me more paranoid, but also not desensitized to the potential dangers.

Reactions: Boinked
Oh yes. We need to get a fire extinguisher out there. He was working on one of our toys the other day and it was smoking. He didnt seem bothered by it, but I sure was. Tanks are filled with gas and oil is near by and parts are smoking. Not good in my book. I guess my inexperience makes me more paranoid, but also not desensitized to the potential dangers.
Its much better to be overly cautious than hurt.

I try to teach my wife the proper way to do things. Then she reminds me that im not doing it the way i showed her.

Prime Example..... i told her to always chalk the wheels before jacking off the ground. 2 weeks later i grab the jack to check her brakes and she yelled at me for not chalking it.

She keeps me honest.

I try to teach my wife the proper way to do things. Then she reminds me that im not doing it the way i showed her.

Prime Example..... i told her to always chalk the wheels before jacking off the ground. 2 weeks later i grab the jack to check her brakes and she yelled at me for not chalking it.

She keeps me honest.
...Im the same with my kids.."do as I say not do as I do !!"

Reactions: Alex01
I’m sure you will get a lot of great advice from this topic but one thing a lot of people over look is using a fire extinguisher. Yes most people have one but who has used one. You will be amazed on how fast they go empty depending on the size. Purchased one and try it out some where. Depending on the situation it can take a little or the whole extinguisher (which is scary). That’s just my 2 cents.

Also you might be impressed on how effective compressed air can be on small fires/ flare ups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kathy
p1110075.jpg

The best thing you can do is remember to pay attention. When you do stuff like this all the time, its easy to take your skills for granted. its the times when you think, I only have this one little bead to grind, so I won't put the leather gloves on...then the grinder catches and you end up grinding the skin off your finger...as I'm looking at a skinned knuckle on my hand from that exact thing.

Don't make sparks or weld near flammables...Tie up your hair and sleeves near spinny things, use a pushstick on the table saw (and don't reach over the blade)...Keep your fingers away from sharp things, cut away from your hands and body, Stuff like that.

I keep all my flammables in one corner of the shop (gas cans and what not). My paint and thinners are in a steel cabinet (when I remember to put them away) and most of my aerosols are out of harms way, on a shelf.

Also, things get hot and smoke...doesn't always mean that its a precursor to a fire. Drilling a hole in metal will generally get the lubricating oil hot enough to smoke, but there really isn't a fire hazard there. Wait until your out there when Dave has to burn a rubber bushing out or something!

She keeps me honest.
Chalk wheels for what?

The best thing you can do is remember to pay attention. When you do stuff like this all the time, its easy to take your skills for granted. its the times when you think, I only have this one little bead to grind, so I won't put the leather gloves on...then the grinder catches and you end up grinding the skin off your finger...as I'm looking at a skinned knuckle on my hand from that exact thing.

Don't make sparks or weld near flammables...Tie up your hair and sleeves near spinny things, use a pushstick on the table saw (and don't reach over the blade)...Keep your fingers away from sharp things, cut away from your hands and body, Stuff like that.

I keep all my flammables in one corner of the shop (gas cans and what not). My paint and thinners are in a steel cabinet (when I remember to put them away) and most of my aerosols are out of harms way, on a shelf.

Also, things get hot and smoke...doesn't always mean that its a precursor to a fire. Drilling a hole in metal will generally get the lubricating oil hot enough to smoke, but there really isn't a fire hazard there. Wait until your out there when Dave has to burn a rubber bushing out or something!
Thank you! Yes! Yes! I know so little . I was doing something with loose sleeves the other day and realized how easily I could have caught my sleeve in what I was using. I don’t remember what it was but then watched a video of the exact thing I was doing and someone getting hurt by their sleeve getting caught up. I reminded Dave that I am counting on him to keep an eye on me and tell me things even though it may seem like common sense. I’m a bull in a china shop type worker and always in a rush. I’m quickly realizing I need to slow down and be more aware of everything I’m doing or I could get seriously hurt.

Chock.... voice to text does not like me.

Triangular blocks to keep it from rolling out of the garage.
So not check, cholk. Thanks @Kiwi TJ for the visual. So if your jacking up just one side of a vehicle you block the other wheels to keep it from rolling.