Gas cans / auxiliary fuel container

DETOUR

TJ Enthusiast
We’re considering a trip to a remote location, but need to pack spare gasoline
• what’s you folk’s experience on how to pack extra fuel and where would you mount the xtra containers on the rig ?
• I’ve seen jerrycans mounted on the side , between door hinges and front fender
• or between the spare tire and the rear of the jeep
• one local jeeper has a rear mounted cargo basket above the spare and keeps one jerrycan on either side
• I’ve got a roof rack by KARGO-master, that needs to be modified before installing it, to fit our LJ, ‘cause it came of a TJ

Thx for your input

I’d recommend that you keep it outside and not in the cabin. The rubicon rack style works well for me.

FFD85319-D645-4435-9325-FD23936C7498.jpeg

I d like to see the brackets?
You can better see if from the back. I welded it up from 3/16 inch steel and bolted it to the tire swing. The 45 degree braces make it very rigid and the Rotopax don’t bounce around at all. They Rotopax tuck it very tight and low. Of course they are only 2 and 3 gallon size. Sometimes I carry a Rotopax 2 gallon water container in lieu of the 2 gallon gas container.
F5D17922-770A-4914-880E-058A2BD31CF5.jpeg

My path won't work for all of y'all, but my Jeep is 22 years old and I will drive it until they take my keys, so that justifies modding it as I like, hang the cost. I installed a GenRight long range fuel tank, of welded aluminum and with a steel skid plate. 24.5 gallons, for an increase over the OEM tank of 5.5 gallons and all of it down between the frame rails. Lost no ground clearance. Leaving about 4 gallons as a minimum, highway range is about 350 miles.

For a bit more, I can carry a 2 gallon RotoPak on the MorRyde tailgate hinges. For a real trek, I installed the receiver mounts to the frame rails, just behind the front wheel wells, for the MorRyde side jerry can carriers. Not in view unless the can carriers are in place. Then, I have another 10.5 gallons. Or the side bins can carry recovery equipment and such.

So, base fuel capacity is 24.5, with another 2 quickly available. Then the side carriers bring me to a total of 37 gallons, of which I consider 33 to be useable, for a range of 550 miles.

Easiest solution, was a bit expensive for me as shipping to australia was as much as the sale price but if I was in USA I would buy it, they are made for TJ,s as well as JK,s/JL,s
If you prefer jerry can look you can fit jerry can holders to the fittings.

Reactions: lBasket
My path won't work for all of y'all, but my Jeep is 22 years old and I will drive it until they take my keys, so that justifies modding it as I like, hang the cost. I installed a GenRight long range fuel tank, of welded aluminum and with a steel skid plate. 24.5 gallons, for an increase over the OEM tank of 5.5 gallons and all of it down between the frame rails. Lost no ground clearance. Leaving about 4 gallons as a minimum, highway range is about 350 miles.

For a bit more, I can carry a 2 gallon RotoPak on the MorRyde tailgate hinges. For a real trek, I installed the receiver mounts to the frame rails, just behind the front wheel wells, for the MorRyde side jerry can carriers. Not in view unless the can carriers are in place. Then, I have another 10.5 gallons. Or the side bins can carry recovery equipment and such.

So, base fuel capacity is 24.5, with another 2 quickly available. Then the side carriers bring me to a total of 37 gallons, of which I consider 33 to be useable, for a range of 550 miles.
Thx

thx for sharing

Reactions: John Cooper
Easiest solution, was a bit expensive for me as shipping to australia was as much as the sale price but if I was in USA I would buy it, they are made for TJ,s as well as JK,s/JL,s
If you prefer jerry can look you can fit jerry can holders to the fittings.

Strap on mounts? These are cool, especially for us that can't weld, got a link?

Mark K

Pics please, pics
I’ve got crayons ready 🤣

Strap on mounts? These are cool, especially for us that can't weld, got a link?
I believe the TJ ones were $99, I emailed Rotopax but the cost was around $200 shipped to Australia. not worth that much to me at the moment as I am going nowhere lol, I see a youtube vid with the green military cans and can holders easily fitted to the strap carrier brackets. Best thing is easy on easy off, I mean you don't want to carry fuel container mounts all the time so its a pretty good no drill no weld short term/use solution.

https://rotopax.com/rotopax-ez-tire-kit.html

I believe the TJ ones were $99, I emailed Rotopax but the cost was around $200 shipped to Australia. not worth that much to me at the moment as I am going nowhere lol, I see a youtube vid with the green military cans and can holders easily fitted to the strap carrier brackets. Best thing is easy on easy off, I mean you don't want to carry fuel container mounts all the time so its a pretty good no drill no weld short term/use solution.

https://rotopax.com/rotopax-ez-tire-kit.html
Yeah I like how they're removable. It's just a good ratchet strap but I guess it's the curves on the brackets that are what you're really paying for. Seems like it'd need another strap perpendicular to theirs to keep it from sliding off the tire, doesn't it?

I don't "need" gas cans but sometimes when I'm camping and wheeling around I have to go back into town to get gas and it'd be nice to not need to do that.

Reactions: DETOUR and Sancho
You can better see if from the back. I welded it up from 3/16 inch steel and bolted it to the tire swing. The 45 degree braces make it very rigid and the Rotopax don’t bounce around at all. They Rotopax tuck it very tight and low. Of course they are only 2 and 3 gallon size. Sometimes I carry a Rotopax 2 gallon water container in lieu of the 2 gallon gas container.View attachment 304254
Wow,very strong

Don't forget chainsaw gas...I use MSR fuel bottles or buy a couple of cans of premix. Don't forget the bar oil, a scrench and a spare chain...I have my bottles Velcro strapped to the roll bar.

-Mac

Yeah I like how they're removable. It's just a good ratchet strap but I guess it's the curves on the brackets that are what you're really paying for. Seems like it'd need another strap perpendicular to theirs to keep it from sliding off the tire, doesn't it?

I don't "need" gas cans but sometimes when I'm camping and wheeling around I have to go back into town to get gas and it'd be nice to not need to do that.
I dont think they slide off because of the shape of the brackets but they also have another single strap type that goes around the tire so you have one single mount on the centre of the wheel. I suppose you could make your own with 2" one ended ratchet straps but the brackets would cost more to make than buying them.

This is my set up. I have an extra Jerry Can holder you can have for $25 (you pay shipping). If your interested in buying the one I have I'll post up a pic but its identical to what you see.

Jerry Can holder (Big Pic).jpg

Jerry Can Holder.jpg

Jerry Hold Rear Pic.jpg

We’re considering a trip to a remote location, but need to pack spare gasoline
• what’s you folk’s experience on how to pack extra fuel and where would you mount the xtra containers on the rig ?
• I’ve seen jerrycans mounted on the side , between door hinges and front fender
• or between the spare tire and the rear of the jeep
• one local jeeper has a rear mounted cargo basket above the spare and keeps one jerrycan on either side
• I’ve got a roof rack by KARGO-master, that needs to be modified before installing it, to fit our LJ, ‘cause it came of a TJ

Thx for your input
I carry two 3 gallon rotopax up front and I had a mount I could put 2 on the back. I have since removed the spare tire carrier and mounted the spare on the tailgate. I still have the cans up front if needed. I built the mounts from the rocker guards up to the a pillar.
E4FFDE37-4227-4B85-B427-F3108E108EF2.jpeg
C612E878-5085-4CA5-B06D-C7C453DF685C.jpeg