Gas gauge not working

kt99tj

Started tj this morning and gauge never moved off empty. I know there is about half of tank of gas. Is there a fuse for this or do i need to start chasing wires? All other gauges working fine. 99 tj se. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Started tj this morning and gauge never moved off empty. I know there is about half of tank of gas. Is there a fuse for this or do i need to start chasing wires? All other gauges working fine. 99 tj se. Thanks.

Could be the electrical connection behind dash. Are the other gauges working OK?

Not trying to be funny but try hitting the top of the dash and see if you get a reading. If so it very well could just be the connection needs to be snugged. Not a hard thing to do.

Sometimes our Jeeps need to know who's boss, so a little love tap isn't out of the realm of sanity.

Likely the connector at the rear fuel tank is dirty or corroded. It's located on the driver's side up near the top of the tank, just above the skidplate. Unplug it and reseat it, see if that helps. Since all the other gauges apparently work ok I doubt if it's the connector behind the instrument cluster.

While the connector is unplugged, use a flashlight to look for any dirt or corrosion before reconnecting it. If the connector looks ok and the gauge still doesn't work after plugging it back in, the fuel gauge sender tack-welded to the fuel pump assembly is likely bad. That means a new fuel pump assembly is needed. Go Bosch only, avoid store brand fuel pumps or the online brands like Airtex or Spectre which are short-lived pieces of junk. :)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Has anybody put a fuel pressure gauge on the Bosch pump? It's description says "superior turbine pump design virtually eliminates fuel pulsation". My original OEM pump gives me a fair bit of needle flutter but it is bang on spec.

well, I put in a new fuel pump(Bosch) and it didn't fix either problem. Which were :fuel gauge reading E and not working. Also at same time hard starting then running smooth. Checked codes after pump install and got p0505. Removed IAC which was clean, but, i sprayed and wiped down anyway.no improvement. This engine has only about 8000 miles. It was a mopar NOS crate motor we installed October 2015. All intake and throttle body are factory NOS.

Has anybody put a fuel pressure gauge on the Bosch pump? It's description says "superior turbine pump design virtually eliminates fuel pulsation". My original OEM pump gives me a fair bit of needle flutter but it is bang on spec.

I've never tried that, interesting...

well, I put in a new fuel pump(Bosch) and it didn't fix either problem. Which were :fuel gauge reading E and not working. Also at same time hard starting then running smooth. Checked codes after pump install and got p0505. Removed IAC which was clean, but, i sprayed and wiped down anyway.no improvement. This engine has only about 8000 miles. It was a mopar NOS crate motor we installed October 2015. All intake and throttle body are factory NOS.

While it's not as common as the fuel sending unit going bad, it's very possible that the fuel gauge itself is toast. Is there any movement in it at all?

I have the same problem. Replaced fuel pump with a new bosch. Still have check engine light and tank reads empty. When i cleared the codes. The guage started working and read full. As soon as i started car it went back to not working. Did yoi ever solve this problem?

@Quinnjere, I did solve it , but sorry to say not permanently. We replaced the ECM and the problems were fixed for a day and about 100 miles. Then they started again this time affecting the oil pressure gauge. Something is blowing the ECM but we can't diagnose what it is. I just drive it the way it is.

Try running a cluster diagnostic to see if it responds, for some reason it would cure the fuel gauge issue on my son's SE

Well I did the gauge cluster test on mine. everything works. Where is the ground located for this and does anyone have info on where to get a new connector repair kit? I have a 2006 LJ. Dealer gave me part number 5013979AB but that doesn't look right to me. The pic is of my fuel pump

FG0924C__ra_p.jpg

Likely the connector at the rear fuel tank is dirty or corroded. It's located on the driver's side up near the top of the tank, just above the skidplate. Unplug it and reseat it, see if that helps. Since all the other gauges apparently work ok I doubt if it's the connector behind the instrument cluster.

While the connector is unplugged, use a flashlight to look for any dirt or corrosion before reconnecting it. If the connector looks ok and the gauge still doesn't work after plugging it back in, the fuel gauge sender tack-welded to the fuel pump assembly is likely bad. That means a new fuel pump assembly is needed. Go Bosch only, avoid store brand fuel pumps or the online brands like Airtex or Spectre which are short-lived pieces of junk. :)
My first post on the forums,
I have been Having issue with my fuel gauge reading and going to zero back-and-forth while the engine is running. I just no disconnected this connector up by the rear of the gas tank, It looked ok cleaned it and plugged it back in and the car would not turn over, no signal from the battery the keys were on in the car (while the ignition was ‘on’ i tapped it and i got the key buzzer alarm so I tried to start the jeep and what sounded like got an ignition short - and everything dead no door buzzer alarm. I reset the battery and reset the connect as well as I could. Get got buzzer alarm but nothing on the ignition start pull? Is this a fuel or ignition thing? Should I put the jeep in on and try and jump short the ignition?

thx you jerry has had invaluable knowledge for me in years past just check in on what I need. Lets see you pull through for me here (fingers-crossed)
Oh and now when on the fuel guage appears to not be working; before as my issue “was pronounced” it would rise up to the level when ON then immediately go down -or simetimes not- then when I started the car it would go back up- or having stayed up then go down. And do this for the entire drive up-down, up down etc.