Gas spewed out during fill up

Starrs

TJ Guru
when I was filling up yesterday gas spewed out when it was about full. Read on some different sites this was a common issue. Anyone have a solution? Just listen for when it sounds like its full and let it trickle in?

The true fix is pulling the tank, removing the plunger, and sanding down the guides. I tried the GM flapper hose and it worked one or two times then same problem returned. Now there is no problem locking the pump handle and waiting until it clicks off at full.

Reactions: billiebob
I thought just the 97-02 had overflow
Problems! I didn't know the 05-06 did too. So is it just 03-04 that doesn't? Mine never once has.

My 06 had it, the dealership told me it was a defect in the tank, that Chrysler handled with the vehicle's original warranty for the new owners back in 06. He said it was not a recall, but should have been. When I brought up (said) they had sold me a Jeep knowing it had a defect and safety hazard, it triggered a few months of battle.

They said the tanks were obsolete, and offered to purchase and install a used tank. I turned down that, and In the end, sort of, I ended up with a Gen-right extended range gas tank. I say sort of, because first the wrong tank was sent and caused an argument, then the right tank came, and after an hour of waiting, they sheepishly told me they could not install it because it had a "off road use only " tag on it.

Chrysler ended up farming out the work to a local shop I use, and now every thing is fine, I'm happy, and nothing is wrong in the world :)

Ray

Reactions: derekmac
The true fix is pulling the tank, removing the plunger, and sanding down the guides. I tried the GM flapper hose and it worked one or two times then same problem returned. Now there is no problem locking the pump handle and waiting until it clicks off at full.
I'll just pump slow lol. Glad I'm not the only one. I had no idea what happened at first. Pretty big problem for them not to catch

Reactions: billiebob
The overflow issue happens on 05-06 TJs, and on early model JKs. The GMC filler hose replacement is an inexpensive, easy fix. Really no need to drop the tank, unless you need to for some other issue.

The GMC filler hose solved the overflow on an 06 Rubicon I previously owned. It's worth trying first.

Last edited:
I'll just pump slow lol. Glad I'm not the only one. I had no idea what happened at first. Pretty big problem for them not to catch

They caught it, but they took the easy cheap way out, instead of a recall and proper fix. 50/50 on: I wish I had this forum with the tank fix, back then, and I came out ahead and I'm super happy with the extended range tank :)

That may not work, either. Before I fixed mine it would take about 20 mins to fill. That was at a trickle and it still spit back.

Try the GM hose and see if that works for you. Works for some, others like myself it didn't. Honestly, pulling the tank and sanding the plunger to fix it permanently is well worth the hassle of pita fill ups, especially if it is a daily driver.

That may not work, either. Before I fixed mine it would take about 20 mins to fill. That was at a trickle and it still spit back.

Try the GM hose and see if that works for you. Works for some, others like myself it didn't. Honestly, pulling the tank and sanding the plunger to fix it permanently is well worth the hassle of pita fill ups, especially if it is a daily driver.
It's not my daily. I know the gallons to fill it up. I'll get close to full as possible. Gonna try not to dwell on it. The body lift I think is what caused it for mine.

Mines done it for a few years. So many maybe solutions. The easy one, pay attention, listen, shut off when it sounds full..... think
I did this often thru the 70s. But if you find the guaranteed solution...,maybe I'll do it.

Reactions: Starrs
It's not my daily. I know the gallons to fill it up. I'll get close to full as possible. Gonna try not to dwell on it. The body lift I think is what caused it for mine.
The body lift may make the GM hose an easier fix. More room to work. I, like you, thought I would just shut off the pump when filling up, but I didn't remember, or got distracted, but invariably ended up with gas running down the side of my TJ. For the $25.00 it can cost, it was a no-brainer for me to at least try.

I did the GM fix a few years ago and honestly forget about it until I see it on the forum again. It is well worth the 30 bucks or so but a couple things to keep in mind. The valve has a proper orientation and it should be as close to the tank as possible other than that wear an eye shield for all the dirt you will discover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
The BL didn't cause it. It is a well known issue, Jeep just refused to recognize it and issue a recall.