Gas Tank Removal

Vasq

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Found a really good walk through for dropping the gas tank and replacing the skid plate. In the tutorial it's a Savvy skid, but the process should be the same for any skid.

https://myjeeprocks.com/articles/savvy-offroad-tjlj-aluminum-gas-tank-skid-install/
Also for anyone who's interested, I've sourced some nice replacement OEM style hardware for the GTS

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Bumper-Bolt-5-16-18-X-3-4-S-S-Cap-Head-p/a9853.htm?
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/5-16-Pushnut-Bolt-Retainer-5-8-O-D-Zinc-p/a10087.htm?
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/5-16-18-Free-Spinning-Washer-Nut-3-4Od-p/a15350.htm?

Last edited:
Just in case the original link goes away, I've transferred the instructions over to the forum.

Tools needed:

1/2″ socket
3/16″ allen wrench
13 mm socket
3/8 drive ratchet
3/8 drive 6″+ extension
Phillips Screwdriver
Floor jack
Piece of wood

Step 1: Remove the 4 screws holding the filler neck to the plastic bezel. Then remove the 4 screws holding the bezel to the Jeep. Gently remove the gas cap from the bezel and install it on the filler neck to stop junk from getting into the tank. Cut the zip tie holding the diff breather off the fuel filler hose.

step1a.jpg

step1b.jpg

step1c.jpg

Step 2: Unplug the fuel pump. Pull on the red safety tab, this will only move 1/8″ to 3/16″, then squeeze the connector clip and pull. The plug will probably come loose or break away from the skid, this is unfortunately normal. If the plug doesn’t come apart with a minimal amount of force check to make sure the safety tab is disengaged and try again.

Step2.jpg

Step 3: Releasing fuel system pressure. Pop the hood and locate the shrader valve on the fuel rail. Remove the black plastic cap. Place a rag under the valve and use a small screw driver to release the pressure. It helps if you hold the rag in a somewhat “L” shape to stop the horizontal spray. When the pressure is released, replace the black cap and close the hood.

Step3a.jpg

step3b.jpg

step3c.jpg

Step 4: Disconnect the Fuel supply line. There are 2 grey tabs 180 degrees from each other, squeeze those. While squeezing, grab the rubber flex line with your other hand, push your hands together them pull on the flex line. It is possible, and highly likely, gas will come out of the line. Don’t have your head directly under the fitting. You don’t want gas in your eye. Have a rag handy to catch the gas.

step4a.jpg

step4b.jpg

Step 5: prepare for removal. Place your floor jack, with a block of wood, under the tank and jack up till it just starts to pick the back of the Jeep.

step5.jpg

Step 6: Skid and Tank removal. Remove the 13mm nuts along the front and back crossmembers (7 nuts total, 4 back 3 front). Leave the longer “studs” for later.

step6a.jpg

step6b.jpg

step6c.jpg

Step 7: Lowering the tank. Start to SLOWLY lower the gas tank. When you get it dropped down a couple inches, stop and remove the check valve hoses. There are 2 hoses on our 02 (97-02 is similar, 03+ is different). After the hoses are disconnected, make sure everything else is unhooked and free of getting hung up. Lower the tank to the ground.

step7a.jpg

step7b.jpg

step7c.jpg

step7d.jpg

Step 8: On the ground

step8.jpg

Step 9: Separating the skid and tank. Now remove the rubber thread protectors (if they’re still there) and remove the 13mm nuts.

step9.jpg

Step 10: Slide the plug off the plastic clip, if its still attached. Lay the wiring out of the way of the tank straps.

step10.jpg

Step 11: Bend the straps forward and out of the way. Lift the tank out of the stock skid and discard the skid and straps.

step11.jpg

Bent stock skid from 6 years of wheeling:

hosedrearflange.jpg

Step 12: Preparing Savvy skid. Lay the skid on the ground or bench and lay out all the hardware to insure everything is present. 16 bolts, 16 nuts, 4 cross pins (2 threaded, 2 non-threaded), 6 allen bolts (only 2 are used, 6 come in the kit), 4 stainless tank straps and 2 steel mounting flanges.

step12a.jpg

Step 13: Installing mounting flanges and tank straps. Install the flanges in the skid. If you have a body lift use the top row of holes so the flange is flush to the top of the aluminum skid. If no body lift is used, use the bottom row of holes. Install the front and rear row of bolts first (do not tighten yet) making sure the straps are in the correct position (see pic below). Tighten the front and back row of bolts to 20 foot pounds using a ½” socket, keeping the 4 used for the straps loose. When those bolts are tight then tighten the 4 outside bolts.

step13a.jpg

step13b.jpg

Now install the 4 cross pins. Install the 2 threaded pins in the rear straps and the non-threaded pins in the front straps.

step13c.jpg

step13d.jpg

Skid fully assembled, ready for the tank:

Step14.jpg

Step 14: Installing the tank. Drop the tank directly in the skid. One side at a time probably won’t work.

step15a.jpg

Fold the tank strap towards each other and tighten the allen bolts with your 3/16 allen wrench.

step15b.jpg

Locate the fuel pump plug and the corresponding tab on the skid

step16a.jpg

step16b.jpg

Place the plug into the slot and attach using the supplied zip tie. Leave the zip tie a little loose, you’ll need to move the plug slightly to clip it onto the other end later.

step16c.jpg

Step 15: Installation. Installing the assembly is the reverse of removal. Place the skid on your floor jack and begin lifting. When you get close enough to attach the EVAP lines, do so. After those are hooked up continue lifting. Make sure you get the filler neck located above the frame. I found it helpful to get the skid in place and start the 4 rearward nuts then rotate the front of the skid up to the front studs. Attach the fuel supply line making sure it is fully clipped and locked in place. Plug in the fuel pump. You may have to pull the zip-tied part a little away from the skid to get the plug to clip in. Once you have the plug in place, tighten the zip tie. Make sure to re-engage the red safety clip.

Once everything is hooked up, hop in the Jeep and turn the key to the “ON” position. This will do 2 things, prime the fuel system and build pressure so you can check for leaks. Once it has been determined there are no leaks, start the Jeep. It may take a little longer then normal to start do to air in the system.

Comparisons:

Stock Skid Weight (w/ 1/8″ welded to the bottom):

stockskidweight.jpg

Competitors 3/16 steel skid:

compskidweight.jpg

Savvy 3/16 aluminum skid:

savvyskidweight.jpg

Rear shot, stock:

stockskidheight2-1.jpg

stockskidheight3-1.jpg

Rear shot, Savvy:

DSCN1151.jpg

DSCN1152.jpg

Trackbar clearance, stock:

trackbarclearencewstockskid.jpg

Trackbar clearance, Savvy:

DSCN1150.jpg

Awesome walkthrough! I didn't change my skid yet but I did replace my fuel pump and had a tough time with the screws closest to the bumper. I couldn't tighten them because they wouldn't hold in place. Any tips for that in the future from anyone running across this? I tried using RTV to hold the screws in place.

Great walk-through, thanks. Does this skid give any better clearance from the ground? Meaning, does it provide any kind of 'tuck'?

Great walk-through, thanks. Does this skid give any better clearance from the ground? Meaning, does it provide any kind of 'tuck'?
I believe the Savvy skid has a second set of holes allowing it to be sucked up, provided you have a minimum of 1" body lift.

But I don't have the Savvy skid. I'm just cutting 1" out of a factory skid.

For anybody starting the project the process is different depending on the year. The 05-06 have different fuel lines and connection points at least from the 2004 in my experience. The first time I did mine I wasted quite a bit of time as a result of following a guide from the wrong year. You should try to find details on the exact year you have and go from there. Youtube has a few videos that are pretty good, Rokmen did one that is good but it only works for the same fuel system and that changed in little ways over the years that can cause headaches. Like it says in the writeup on that other site, 97-02 are similar but beyond that you're on your own.

I replaced mine with a stock looking replacement and boy does your look damn good. once this one rusts out ill think about you and your nice one.

I’ve also got an 02 and I used this guide today to drop my tank for a fuel pump replacement. A few notes for the next person.

1) it was easier to disconnect my check valve line from the hard line side of the Jeep than pull both legs of the Y tank side
2) the tank lock ring sucks, spent almost an hour trying to get it seated without cross threading, turns out it just need to go down further before it all tightened up.
3) My new BOSCH did not have the fuel pump supply side plastic clip, so I need to move it from the original
4) Even with two people, we kinked the fuel filler neck against the frame and had to start over.

Aside from my lift, this was the most involved project I’ve done. No reason two mechanically inclined people can’t do this in an afternoon.

Awesome walkthrough! I didn't change my skid yet but I did replace my fuel pump and had a tough time with the screws closest to the bumper. I couldn't tighten them because they wouldn't hold in place. Any tips for that in the future from anyone running across this? I tried using RTV to hold the screws in place.
I'm about to tear into my LJ to stretch and put a 14 bolt in the back. Already decided that while the tank is out, I'm cutting an access panel in the bed to be able to change the fuel pump from the top. Did this years ago with my Camaro - definitely worth it.

I'm about to tear into my LJ to stretch and put a 14 bolt in the back. Already decided that while the tank is out, I'm cutting an access panel in the bed to be able to change the fuel pump from the top. Did this years ago with my Camaro - definitely worth it.

If you're open to cutting access panels, you might also consider doing two small ones, on either side of the 'bed', to access the rear shock's upper mount bolts.

If you're open to cutting access panels, you might also consider doing two small ones, on either side of the 'bed', to access the rear shock's upper mount bolts.
Y’all are crazy! Unless you are keeping the rig for a lifetime, you are hacking up the value. That mentality is why so many rigs are undesirable POS.

It’s not hard to drop the tank.

The rear shocks aren’t that bad with the right socket.

My .02c

Reactions: lulzpwndyah
Y’all are crazy! Unless you are keeping the rig for a lifetime, you are hacking up the value. That mentality is why so many rigs are undesirable POS.

It’s not hard to drop the tank.

The rear shocks aren’t that bad with the right socket.

My .02c

I'm not saying I'd do it. Just sounded like @rgivenspi was the type to cut things up.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
I spent more time fighting with the lock ring then dropping the tank, access panel won't help with that.

I’ve also got an 02 and I used this guide today to drop my tank for a fuel pump replacement. A few notes for the next person.

1) it was easier to disconnect my check valve line from the hard line side of the Jeep than pull both legs of the Y tank side
2) the tank lock ring sucks, spent almost an hour trying to get it seated without cross threading, turns out it just need to go down further before it all tightened up.
3) My new BOSCH did not have the fuel pump supply side plastic clip, so I need to move it from the original
4) Even with two people, we kinked the fuel filler neck against the frame and had to start over.

Aside from my lift, this was the most involved project I’ve done. No reason two mechanically inclined people can’t do this in an afternoon.
Is the check valve line the one next to the fuel line in "step 4" above? How does it disconnect? Is it some kind of barbed hard line? I have an 02 as well and plan to drop in this weekend. Looking at mine, I just see those two lines (other than the filler neck). Seems like if those are both disconnected it should drop.

Is the check valve line the one next to the fuel line in "step 4" above? How does it disconnect? Is it some kind of barbed hard line? I have an 02 as well and plan to drop in this weekend. Looking at mine, I just see those two lines (other than the filler neck). Seems like if those are both disconnected it should drop.
pics? should have a fuel line and a vapor line IIRC. they should have push lock fittings.

On my 2002 only one of the line’s I’m seeing has a push connection. It looks just like the photo the OP put up:

C495D68A-252C-4F15-AE7B-B33F9288B0EB.jpeg