Gas tank skids (A little more clearance?)

Rock Toy

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 2005 TJ and still have the stock tank skid. As it's set up at the moment, my upper four link mounts sit between a 1/4" and 1/2" from the skid, which is fine. I was just wondering whether or not anyone makes an aftermarket skid that is tighter up against the tank? So I can gain a little space. I read somewhere that the Savvy skid might allow for that, as well as allow me to lift the tank an inch or so and gain some clearance.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
My reason for getting the savvy was the added vertical clearance, but to really get that you also need a BL. (I believe you can get this from other brands too, but most are steel and are a 50# weight penalty if you care about that).

I didn’t measure the clearance of the original skid, however. That said, the skid hugs the tank very tightly, more than what I recall the OEM.

I’d bet @jjvw properly measured the differences.

It depends on where you measure. The Savvy adds about 1.75" of ground clearance and also reduces the profile a bit compared to stock. As far as wheelbase compared to stock if you move the diff cover into the skid, it's a fraction of an inch difference. If you do this with 35s, the rear of the wheel opening will need to be trimmed. With My front track bar work, I think mine is sitting at 95" wheelbase. About an inch over unlifted stock. Side to side would only be a fraction narrower than stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
Right. That wasn’t my question but I appreciate your wisdom. I’m four linked in the rear so no track bar. And I own plenty of cutting tools so clearance for for the tires is no big deal. I just wanted to know if there is a tank skid that is a *little* slimmer. And looking at the stock skid, I think that I might be able to cut some of it out to give myself an extra 1/4”, which is more than enough extra.

To the best of my knowledge (and as I described) Savvy is going to be the lowest profile and snuggest fitting skid for the factory gas tank. I too have a 4 link and don't have any clearance issues with the Savvy GTS.

Reactions: Apparition
Right. That wasn’t my question but I appreciate your wisdom. I’m four linked in the rear so no track bar. And I own plenty of cutting tools so clearance for for the tires is no big deal. I just wanted to know if there is a tank skid that is a *little* slimmer. And looking at the stock skid, I think that I might be able to cut some of it out to give myself an extra 1/4”, which is more than enough extra.
Genright makes tanks that provide a bunch of clearance for the rear diff. It will also set you up for a rear stretch with those tanks. I know your question was about skids, but this is best bet for clearance.

Genright makes tanks that provide a bunch of clearance for the rear diff. It will also set you up for a rear stretch with those tanks. I know your question was about skids, but this is best bet for clearance.

Yea, that's the ultimate goal. But I'm not ready to drop another $1,000+ on that tank. And I am also hearing rumors about Motobilt coming out with a tank to compete with Genright that should be less expensive. Finger's crossed.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Yea, that's the ultimate goal. But I'm not ready to drop another $1,000+ on that tank. And I am also hearing rumors about Motobilt coming out with a tank to compete with Genright that should be less expensive. Finger's crossed.
I hear ya. Those Genright tanks are spendy. It would be nice to have another option.

The answer is yes the savvy tank is slimmer to the tank and adds additional horizontal clearance back there. My diff cover hit my stock one and does not hit savvy

Reactions: Rock Toy