Gas tank tuck?

Alex M.

Supporting Member
i know it's possible to do a tummy tuck, but is it possible to do a gas tank tuck?

Sure is. There are some gas tank skids you can buy that will tuck the tank up 1" I believe. You can also modify your existing tank skid to tuck the tank up, but obviously it's a little more involved. Keep in mind you have to have a 1" body lift to move the tank up, unlike some TT's where you can get by without one.

I plan on tucking the gas tank (along with my transfer case) when I do my tummy tuck.

Once everything is all tucked up under there it will have more ground clearance. The fuel tank and the transfer case on the TJ hangs way to low from the factory. One of the things I wish they had addressed before these things rolled off the production line.

Also, if you're TJ takes two cranks, or you have to wait for the fuel pump to pressurize the lines before you can crank up, when you drop the tank is a perfect time to replace the part of the system that maintains pressure in the line…of which the name is escaping me at the moment.

Sounds like I should replace that while I am in there just for good measure.

Ehhh, your 05 shouldn't have a problem yet. If you replace it with OEM parts, it'll just prolong the inevitable. Mine takes two cranks to start. Not a huge deal, and won't cause any adverse effects. Just kind of annoying sometimes

Ehhh, your 05 shouldn't have a problem yet. If you replace it with OEM parts, it'll just prolong the inevitable. Mine takes two cranks to start. Not a huge deal, and won't cause any adverse effects. Just kind of annoying sometimes

If it's a cheap part it's worth doing. Got a link to the part in question?

Reactions: PStov98TJ
No links at the moment. It's actually one of the only mods I don't have bookmarked on my laptop… Sorry man. When I'm done studying for the night I can look and see what I find

Reactions: Chris
No links at the moment. It's actually one of the only mods I don't have bookmarked on my laptop… Sorry man. When I'm done studying for the night I can look and see what I find

No problem! I wasn't even aware of this mystery part until you mentioned it.

It's not the actual pump the fails from what I have read. It's the fuel pressure regulator. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've looked into. (and that very well may be just a specific part of the pump)

Reactions: Chris
It's not the actual pump the fails from what I have read. It's the fuel pressure regulator. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've looked into. (and that very well may be just a specific part of the pump)
In my experience of having had this problem 5-6 times with 2 TJs over the past 19 years, the fuel pump was the fix. Replacing just the FPR never helped.

Reactions: PStov98TJ