Gas tank vent replacements

Jeepster78

TJ Enthusiast
Im doing a complete rebuild on a tj and was starting in the gas tank today and both the vents on my 2002 tj gas tank nipples are broken. Does anyone know where to get replacements and how to remove the old ones. I have searched the web for videos and parts and only found 1 possible replacement on Amazon that I ordered to see if it will work.

Im doing a complete rebuild on a tj and was starting in the gas tank today and both the vents on my 2002 tj gas tank nipples are broken. Does anyone know where to get replacements and how to remove the old ones. I have searched the web for videos and parts and only found 1 possible replacement on Amazon that I ordered to see if it will work.

IMG_8703.jpeg

IMG_8702.jpeg

I pretty sure those are molded into the tank. I always just disconnect the fuel and vapor lines at the frame and leave everything on the tank

You're going to have to get crafty to fix those because, as NskLJ noted, they are molded into the tank. I ran into a similar (but not the same) problem when I rebuilt my Expedition late last year. Mine had a small crack that was throwing an evap code, and I found a two-part epoxy used to seal aircraft fuel tanks that seems to have sealed the crack and solved that problem. One of the downsides of all the emissions requirements is that it's getting trickier and trickier to keep old vehicles running because certain parts are simply not available. You may have to plug that and glue in a new fitting or cut off the remaining nipple, drill and tap it, and install a barbed-to-npt male fitting to connect to the vent hose.

Reactions: mudmaster
That’s a great idea and I appreciate the helpful insight. Also when I replace the fuel pump I thought I read that the Bosch pumps were the brand to use but can’t be found any longer and is it okay to use the Delphi brand?

That’s a great idea and I appreciate the helpful insight. Also when I replace the fuel pump I thought I read that the Bosch pumps were the brand to use but can’t be found any longer and is it okay to use the Delphi brand?

You can take apart your fuel pump assembly and replace the pump, regulator and filters individually.

There's a write up in the resources section about where to order the parts.

-Mac

You're going to have to get crafty to fix those because, as NskLJ noted, they are molded into the tank. I ran into a similar (but not the same) problem when I rebuilt my Expedition late last year. Mine had a small crack that was throwing an evap code, and I found a two-part epoxy used to seal aircraft fuel tanks that seems to have sealed the crack and solved that problem. One of the downsides of all the emissions requirements is that it's getting trickier and trickier to keep old vehicles running because certain parts are simply not available. You may have to plug that and glue in a new fitting or cut off the remaining nipple, drill and tap it, and install a barbed-to-npt male fitting to connect to the vent hose.

If I just cut in a new vent would something like this work fine? Or do the vents need to be specific to some sort of spec that you are aware of?

IMG_8981.png