Gauging interest on the CJ / JL grille overlay for the TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
. . . when you respond to this post, please answer the following questions:
  1. Do you have any interest in this grille being produced?
  2. What would you be willing to pay for this grille?
  3. Would you want one with or without CJ turn signal provisions?
  4. Are you willing to put down the money upfront (after manufacturing costs are determined) to secure one.

1. Minor interest, perhaps more as garage art than as a grill replacement because my original LJ grill is undamaged and the priority for a grill replacement simply for aesthetic purposes is very low.
2. Depending upon quality of manufacture, perhaps $150-175.
3. No turn signal provisions other than a template for where to drill holes for CJ turn signals.
4. A reasonable advance deposit to cover cost of manufacture, balance due prior to shipping.

PS -

I have zero interest in a grill overlay that includes any styling elements from the JK or JL - CJ only.

Also, as far as using these overlays as garage art is concerned, the overlay will be competing with the cost of "used but not abused" factory pieces from the auto recycler so that should be kept in mind if marketing to "garage decorators."

Best of luck with your project.

And I think the description is a little off. Some folks calling it’s JL grille with JK turn signals need to touch up on Jeep history. I see a TJ grille with CJ influences. Nothing JL or JK about it.

You should read the design thread.

Reactions: reddvltj and Chris
I like the stock TJ grill well enough, so not looking for an overlay. However, if I had a JK, which I might someday soon, then I would be interested in the JK version. The stock JK grill needs some help. I think this would really improve the looks on a JK Are there any more photos are a link to a JK thread?

For options, could the bottom of these be made an inch lower to hide a body lift?
That's a pretty simple change, but would require a new mold. I can make a mold for anything you guys can dream up but the question always will be whether or not there is enough demand for it.

I like the stock TJ grill well enough, so not looking for an overlay. However, if I had a JK, which I might someday soon, then I would be interested in the JK version. The stock JK grill needs some help. I think this would really improve the looks on a JK Are there any more photos are a link to a JK thread?
There isn't a thread specifically on the JL-style grille for the JK, sorry. It's a project I did before I did the JL/CJ-style grille for the TJ because the factory JK grille is so lame. It's been licensed by a startup company and but for Covid it would be on the market now. Just before the lockdown they sent me a final "production candidate" grille for me to test and approve it's been on my JKU ever since. It's being manufactured in plastic using the thermoforming process, which enables it to get into production with a small tooling cost and a very reasonable per-unit manufacturing cost. Hopefully it'll hit the market as soon as the lockdown situation gets a little better.

This is the production candidate grille. This one is unpainted, just as it came to me. I posted a photo of a painted one earlier in this thread.

So when you respond to this post, please answer the following questions:
  4. Are you willing to put down the money upfront (after manufacturing costs are determined) to secure one?
  1. Yes, interested. I am going to GenRight highlines so was considering grill mounted turn signals but really not a fan of the CJ or JK turn signals sitting on the grill face. I prefer the JK recessed look as shown in this photo.
  2. Being an overlay requiring final painting to match, I think $150-$250. With the higher price being a kit including items necessary for installation, such as the recommended West Six10 epoxy. Detailed instructions/videos would also be very helpful to ensure the install is done right to produce desired results.
  3. Would prefer recesses for JK lights as shown in this photo.
  4. Yes. Would like to know timeline for product delivery to see how it fits into my project schedule.
Side benefit... the wider grill slots would make getting acorns and leaves out so much easier. :D

Thanks.

Reactions: reddvltj and Chris
First and foremost, the credit for the design of this grille goes to @jscherb.

This thread is a result of the original thread here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/updating-backdating-the-tj-grille.31660/
He and I are in discussions right now about me brining this grille (and some of his other products) to market and manufacturing them. However, before I get ahead of myself, I want to gauge the interest for something like this.

The grille would look identical to the grille in the photos and be made in high quality fiberglass. It would come trimmed and ready to install, you'd just have to have it painted.

The other issue (and perhaps this could be an option) would be how many people would want it with the provision for CJ style turn signals, and how many people would want it with no blinkers at all (like a JL grille)?

So when you respond to this post, please answer the following questions:
  4. Are you willing to put down the money upfront (after manufacturing costs are determined) to secure one?
If this does happen, it's going to be crowd sourced so to speak. In other words, I'm going to talk to various different places that specialize in fiberglass (@jscherb has the molds) and get costs. Once we determine a cost for a run of X amount of grilles, I can then come back with a real world cost for the grille.

If there is enough interest and enough people are willing to pay upfront, we can get these made.

Looking forward to the responses!

View attachment 158631
View attachment 158632
View attachment 158633
View attachment 158634
View attachment 158635
View attachment 158636
I do like it but can't commit to paying upfront at the moment. It would be also more interesting if fog/spot lights could be added below each headlight and leave turns signals where they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.