G'day cobbers!

Wombat

TJ Enthusiast
Been driving and modding TJ's implicitly since 97 and counting so with all the world's TJ owners in one place it's time to buckle here for the ride before my latest 01 TJ build hits the 20 year mark.

I reside in “Straya”! At almost 55 and 20 years of TJ ownership, you could say I'm a little rough around the edges. I use humour to help me deal with the addiction and consequences of running oversize tires on a TJ - I want to apologize for that in advance...

...first and foremost, this forum is a stella example of how a forum should be; simple, uncluttered, functional and without the need to download apps for mobile devices! Nice work Criss, you really have achieved what you set out to do and thanks for your efforts. Or perhaps Katie, Claire and Chatlotte do all the work while you play guitar and ride your motorcycle? Either way, I hope to bring to this forum ones trials, tribulations and aspirations (not to mention shenanigans), resulting from punishing the two TJ's I've wed since new and yes TJ ownership might have left some scars that won't ever heal but nun so much as the one left behind after having been bitten by that wretched Jeep bug all those years ago where it began.

Marjorie: 1997 Jeep TJ 4.0L Sport auto Magenta Hardtop/Soft Top full/half doors. (aka Purple people eater)

I wed her in Shod her with a cheap set of falken 31x10'' AT's sandals and hit the high country with the fiancée for a little shenanigans.
tree tunel-1.jpg

Me with the fiancee when we were much younger, nowadays she makes me shave
fleur and i-1.jpg

A year later Marj got a good deal by USA4X4 with a discount on mods in exchange for making the car available for a show and other advertising opportunities, so on went 33x12" Coopers and a 3" lift with quick disconnects among other mods, you could say that got the party started with a subsequent article in 4x4 monthly - A big shout out there for the team at USA4X4, they were the first on the block in Australia and the first in the development of aftermarket products for the TJ, no one knows more about the TJ in oz and that continues to this day.
4x4magpic2.jpg

There was nowhere that car wouldn't travel, Back then I was a young man with an ambition to go where no man's been in the toughest of conditions I could find, when you looking for it you will eventually find it and we found plenty.
Feather Top.jpg

We put 100.000 hard k's on it, real hard k's! Fully locked and loaded trucks from Land Cruisers to Patrols, you name them, we left them at the bottom of the trail, and I loved every minute of it, our TJ with 33's was a unique king of the trail back then but I wanted more, I wanted a five speed manual.

When the 2000 TJ came out with the NV3550 I knew I had to have her, unfortunately, when I started courting June, Marge became very jealous so I had to divorced Marjorie in 2001, then I married her off to a good friend and although we captured the moment in time it didn't work out as just a few years latter Marge ended up with his Girlfriend after they parted company.
done-1.jpg

June: 2001 4.0L Sport Manual Silverstone Soft Top with CD/Stacker option.

Wed in November 2001. June got shod with 31" BFG AT KO's within 48 hours after delivery and away I went again.
on rock-1.jpg

Within a year I'd saved up for a Warn Blackdiamond 3" lift with a set of 33x10's, I've been running that lift and tire combo ever since.
2001-tj.JPG

It's been a long journey that taken us to places others really see with unparalleled reliability, it's one I wouldent change for anything, although these days I'm concentrating more on comfort then off road prowess as a result of age, health and yep, I never thought it would happen to me but, I got old....
100_1570.JPG

Nevertheless, I can't bring myself to upgrade to a JK as it's going to cost me a heap and it's not like am going to get better fuel economy, I will get a less reliable minivan engine coupled to a six speed that pops out of gear among other known issues, sure I'll get a better ride quality to help the old back last longer with the JK specification but I decided to try and build what I'm going to coin as a TK, and what's a TK you might ask? well it's TJ build to ride with an emphasis on comfort and just one other major requirement... 33's.

I hope to provide a stack of build history relating to June the "TK" in future posts with the methodology behind my choices vs compromises including how it affects on and off road capabilities and costs. I've also learnt a few things through trial and error, not to mention blood sweat and tears that I hope to pass onto others.

G'day!

2001-tj.JPG

G’day mate, welcome to the forum. It’s good to see some TJ Love from the great land of OZ. I know it’s a big ute scene down there and land rovers, land cruisers and the such rule the masses. Those are some stella pics, I’m looking forward to seeing the TK build. Aftermarket “suspension” seats will help a lot with comfort. I had to get a set because of me back and im quite pleased with them.

Wow, awesome intro, amazing photos, and like @Kathy said, I'm hooked!

We've got a few other members on here from Australia, and New Zealand as well.

My understanding is that you don't see many TJs down under, and most of the Wranglers you do see are JKs. Is there any truth to that? How is getting parts for them down there?

Did you purchase your TJ brand new? Either way, it sounds like you've owned it for a long time.

Glad you're liking the forum so far! My wife would tell you how much time I spend on here... it's sort of an addiction :p

Aw Maaaaates! Such kind words with a warm welcome, thanks all.

Glad you enjoyed the pic's, all of which were taken at a time when you had to wait for the shop to develop them, well, all except the shot of the shaved Wombat, that was about 18 months ago and having not looked at those photos for so many years I must say it's a little creepy. Long ago I remember hearing old people say that "things improve with age" but one swipe of the thumb now tells a different story, they clearly lied to all of us.

I’m looking forward to seeing the TK build. Aftermarket “suspension” seats will help a lot with comfort. I had to get a set because of me back and im quite pleased with them.
I updated my 01 seats and rails to 04 and fitted a leather steering wheel, that's about it though for interior comfort at this point - I'm planning on fitting a double din touch screen, it's not that I need one, I'm just getting jealous of all the other muppets on the road constantly distracted by them, that's a can of worms I plan to open in another thread - because any change of seating requires an engineer certification and that means $$$$ I cant spend on mods maintenance & reps, note I said... modes before maintenance or repairs. :aplastao: seriously though, most of the mods that make June ride like a JK were about crunching numbers, trimming fat, correcting geometry and not spending much, last three words could be somewhat subjective.

We've got a few other members on here from Australia, and New Zealand as well.
Other Aussies!? Well ok but that little island just east of us is infested with more (and BIGGER) sharks than Australia is... :tiburon: yep, it's also even further south and closer to Mexico then we are! But then they do have Jacinda Ardern, the most likable and attractive prime minister in the known universe, so there is that. I'll be nice.

My understanding is that you don't see many TJs down under, and most of the Wranglers you do see are JKs. Is there any truth to that? How is getting parts for them down there?
Not really, it's true that you see more JK's, particularly JKU's as they have gained a considerable foothold as a result of a wider market appeal but having said that, I see TJ's here in Melbourne every day, that is to say there will be no need to go into Jeep withdrawals if your planning a trip over here, lifted TJ's are quite common too! Don't forget this is the land of ARB and they cut their teeth on the Jeep brand by developing for the TJ, XJ and ZJ.

As for parts, stuff like bushing, bearings, brakes parts, suspension and just about anything with respect to maintenance is easily found on the shelf. How about an Aussie company that's manufacturing it's own bushing and other parts for the TJ? That's right, I said Aussie, company and manufacturing in the same sentence witch is quite ironic considering production ceased almost twenty years ago and manufacturing is going the way of the Dodo here in AU, much like the US so that's a good thing. ARB released a new rear bar and wheel carrier not so long ago so the market must be here.
150661-add6.jpg

Did you purchase your TJ brand new? Either way, it sounds like you've owned it for a long time.
Yeah Chris, I bought Marge in 97 and changed her out for June in late 01, both new and from the same local dealer. Never owned anything else since 97 but that might have to change in the next two or three years.... we'll see how I go. One thing is for sure, whatever happens nowadays, you'll all be hearing about it.:icon_pc:

Until then I'll be doing "what Wombats do - eats, roots & leaves."

G'day!

You've got quite the story there, I'll tell you that. And you're very lucky to have been able to purchase your TJ brand new from the dealer. I didn't get into TJs until they had stopped production, so I didn't get the opportunity to buy one brand new.

I do wonder why they never brought the Rubicon models to Australia... that makes no sense.

Good call on ARB too! I had forgotten that ARB and Old Man Emu are manufactured in Australia! They make some seriously nice parts too!

I'm happy to know that the TJ isn't on the verge of extinction in Australia either!

[QUOTE="Other Aussies!? Well ok but that little island just east of us is infested with more (and BIGGER) sharks than Australia is... :tiburon: yep, it's also even further south and closer to Mexico then we are! But then they do have Jacinda Ardern, the most likable and attractive prime minister in the known universe, so there is that. I'll be nice.
![/QUOTE]
Now,now lets play fair lol...and not mention the cricket or the rugby lol...Glad to see another member from Australasia....you guys are so lucky when it come to Jeep parts...not so the case here in NZ :( Through work I know a couple guys in the Jeep parts trade in Victoria (Melbourne) Bill at Double Black Off Road and Henry from Jeep Konnection.
Welcome anyway 'Bonza bute mate' ;)

Reactions: Wombat
Now,now lets play fair lol...and not mention the cricket or the rugby lol...
OK I'll take that one on the chin, we suck at both!

Now here's two things I'll bet you didn't know?
  1. Ice Hockey is the only game they play in heaven.
  2. "Australia previously held the distinction of holding a world record for most goals and highest winning margin in a IIHF World Championship game; they defeated New Zealand by a score of 58–0 in 1987, breaking the record held by Canada (47 goals against Denmark) since 1949."
If not for this alone, I will forever and always have a special love and respect for you fellers.

Glad to see another member from Australasia....you guys are so lucky when it come to Jeep parts...not so the case here in NZ :( Through work I know a couple guys in the Jeep parts trade in Victoria (Melbourne) Bill at Double Black Off Road and Henry from Jeep Konnection.
Welcome anyway 'Bonza bute mate' ;)
Thanks for that and if I have any spare goodies I be sure and let you know in case you want me to throw them across the tasman.

Reactions: Chris and Kiwi TJ
[QUOTE="Other Aussies!? Well ok but that little island just east of us is infested with more (and BIGGER) sharks than Australia is... :tiburon: yep, it's also even further south and closer to Mexico then we are! But then they do have Jacinda Ardern, the most likable and attractive prime minister in the known universe, so there is that. I'll be nice.
!

The old rivalry just continued to this forum he-he
I like Nicole Kidman on her prime... stollen from NY USA... you guys $%$#@$#$^%^)*&

Reactions: Wombat