Gear America Gear

I haven't purchased a snatch block from them but have made a couple of other purchases. I'm happy with my experience

Seems pretty heavy duty for a Jeep.

Why not go with something rated a little closer to what the rest of your gear probably is like this:

https://www.gearamerica.com/collect...ch-capacity-and-control-direction-of-the-pull

I know the numbers are tough sometimes but the $35 block is fine and it probably isn't as heavy either. I am assuming you don't have an M35 tucked away in your garage or plan on pulling 2 1/2 ton trucks out of ditches.

Why not go with something rated a little closer to what the rest of your gear probably is like this:

https://www.gearamerica.com/collect...ch-capacity-and-control-direction-of-the-pull

I know the numbers are tough sometimes but the $35 block is fine and it probably isn't as heavy either. I am assuming you don't have an M35 tucked away in your garage or plan on pulling 2 1/2 ton trucks out of ditches.
That isn't enough for full capacity of a 10,000lb winch.

That isn't enough for full capacity of a 10,000lb winch.
It has a started max capacity of 20,000lbs which is exactly how Warm labels their snatch block for 10,000lb winches. It is more than enough according to the specs and Warn. Just look at it, it's a normal snatch block, why make this difficult? Read the max, that's how recovery equipment is rated.

It has a started max capacity of 20,000lbs which is exactly how Warm labels their snatch block for 10,000lb winches. It is more than enough according to the specs and Warn. Just look at it, it's a normal snatch block, why make this difficult? Read the max, that's how recovery equipment is rated.
It’s called a 9 ton block for some reason. If it failed at 10.6 which is how I interpret “lab tested” I wouldn’t use it.

My background is hoisting all the way up to 7700 metric tons. Everything in hoisting has a 5 to 1 safety factor, hence why I’ll only run Crosby shackles. I may be more cautious but I always want the winch to be the clear weak link.

I’ve got a 9500# winch. This snatch block has a wll of 25k and breaking point at 50K. They seem to be good quality. Trying to keep all things on the winch at wll 20k Or higher but not exceeding 30k. Tree straps are proving hard to find that are that high. Thinking of using two for a hook point and a bigger link to support. Also looking at the epic shackle from Warn. Might stay traditional, nit sure.

It’s called a 9 ton block for some reason. If it failed at 10.6 which is how I interpret “lab tested” I wouldn’t use it.
It doesn't have a WLL, I don't care what your background is. Why is it every time somebody lists their credentials it's just before or after they say something ridiculous? That block is fine for a 10K winch, what the marketing department paints on it means nothing. You can't mix WLL terms and rigging ratings on a winch that is not rated, it makes no sense.

If @Ericict wants 20k that's fine too. I think Rhino makes a 30K tree strap.

https://www.rhinousainc.com/collections/recovery-gear/products/recovery-tree-saver-strap

Reactions: Ericict

My winch is rated at 9500#, so 19k could be possible at the snatch point. My thought on this is the max that can be applied so if everything is at +19k, then I don't have to worry about what type of pull or run I am doing if all gear is set for the max the winch can do. Trying to keep it simple for if I need the equipment I don't want to worry about exceeding the power of the winch. I chose the 9.5k winch based on the # of the jeep. 9.5k is more than I should need to get the jeep out of a mess with a straight pull in my mind.

Do what is right for you. At 9500 lbs your winch would probably catch on fire. Those ratings are destruction numbers and not safe limits. The block I linked to is tested to break above 20k so I think it's fine but again, do what you feel safe doing. You are going to be the one using this gear.

• Wow
Do what is right for you. At 9500 lbs your winch would probably catch on fire. Those ratings are destruction numbers and not safe limits. The block I linked to is tested to break above 20k so I think it's fine but again, do what you feel safe doing. You are going to be the one using this gear.
Catch fire? I hope not.

I have the larger of the two warn epic recovery kits. I laughed when I pulled out the epic block, its huge, and easily 2/3 the weight of the entire kit.

The kit is overkill for what I use it for, should last me a long time.