Gear Carrier Woes!

Shwane

Backcountry Jeeper
Supporting Member
So I'm needing some 4.56's in my forever build on my tj. I believe the cut off for my particular Dana 44 and Dana 30 is 3.92. I'm currently running 3.73.

I know I need a new carrier, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the "thicker" ring and pinion sets that remove the need to replace the carrier.

For instance:
http://completeoffroad.com/i-760520...ick-gear-set-for-dana-44-in-a-4-56-ratio.html

You are fine on the 30 as it is 3.73 and up. You are correct on the 44. No issues running the thicker ring gear.

What trans and tire size are you running?

Does your build sheet show a Trakloc limited slip in the rear axle? The command-trac is what Jeep called the 4wd system on TJs.

Yes it will say both actually. Mine list command trac part time 4wd system, Dana 30/186mm front,3.73 rear ratio,HD Dana 44 rear, AND trak-lok differential rear axle

I don't know the link for the build sheet lookup but it's in this forum somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's where I got my build sheet originally, It doesnt say trac lock anywhere. I must not have it. Guess I'll have to get some locking devices now. I'll have to wait after my vacation. Stupid Punta Cana using my jeep money.

That's where I got my build sheet originally, It doesnt say trac lock anywhere. I must not have it.
That's no big deal. One, the Tracloc is not a good limited slip device anyway. 2) If you had one, its clutch pack would have been worn out years ago anyway.

And yep, go for the thick ring gears instead of new carriers, they work fine. :)

Reactions: Shwane