Gear Change 4.56

JMT

Just another auto…
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Does $1,914 sound high for a estimate on gear change? 900 for parts, $1000 for install. Think I need to drive out and see @Rob5589 !

Seems high to me...

X2 to what Brantley said. Many shops often give an extra-high first quote in hopes that a naive customer won't know any better and just say 'ok' while handing over his VISA card. It's ok to push back and give them the impression you think that high of a quote was crazy.

$650 is the going labor rate for both axles in my area ($300 in the rear $350 up front) and that parts price is too high as well. You can buy even premium Revolution Gear f/r gears and the master install kits for only around $600. That adds up to $1250. I'm not saying all shops in your area will do them for $1250 but $1914 is outrageous. My last R&P job was over 10 years ago but it was only $1087 after some haggling brought it down from the shop's nearly $1300 first quote.

Yikes! I honestly couldn't guess the going rate nowadays but that does seem high. 1000 labor is nuts. Back in the day I could do a common gear swap in 4 hrs tops. Unless they are charging 200 bucks per hr that seems too high.

I just bought parts for mine; Revolution gears and install kits with Koyo bearings was 407 shipped; Dana 35 Truetrac and Dana 30 Aussie locker were 670 shipped. That is just straight cost, no discounts other than free shipping on the locker/TT.

Hell, maybe I should start doing some installs on the side, 500 labor would be a bargain :D

Reactions: StG58
Open carriers are fairly cheap. We used to sell lots of good used ones, helped the buyer save some dough. But since he is 3.73 currently, no carriers needed.

ok everyone i cant seem to find the thread that i was on before with this answer so i apologize for asking again but here is the deal,

Just got 2.5 lift with 33's and my next step is to change the gear ratio. I believe i was told that a 4.56 ratio was a good one for the set up i have and the way i use my jeep. I mainly drive on roads but do low to mild wheeling maybe 1-2 times every other month. I have an 04 TJ and im just making sure before i go and buy the upgrades that i am making the right choices. Please all feed back is great!

4.56s right here.
Is that quote in my cart for all I would need front and rear? I have the 3.73 so no carriers needed. Appreciate the link...

ok everyone i cant seem to find the thread that i was on before with this answer so i apologize for asking again but here is the deal,

Just got 2.5 lift with 33's and my next step is to change the gear ratio. I believe i was told that a 4.56 ratio was a good one for the set up i have and the way i use my jeep. I mainly drive on roads but do low to mild wheeling maybe 1-2 times every other month. I have an 04 TJ and im just making sure before i go and buy the upgrades that i am making the right choices. Please all feed back is great!
What transmission?