Gear grinding / crunching?

Patrick P.

I'm looking at a 65th Anniversary with 80xxxkm on it. 3rd gear is crunching for some reason. Best to avoid or is this a common problem? Any advice on this?

I don't think any gear grinding is a common problem but depending on the price, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I'd just make sure to have the price adjusted to cover the cost of fixing the tranny.

My 2nd gear, along with lots of other guys w/ the 6spd, is a bit notchy but it certainly doesn't grind.

Actually I've heard of several people with crunching transmissions. I thought it was somewhat of a common issue. Maybe I'm wrong? I have an auto though so I can't comment from experience.

This won’t fix the problem, but have you tried double clutching on the 2nd to 3rd shift? If it works it’ll get you by until you can get it looked at.

Sounds like it could be the synchronizer to me.
Me too. That’s why I suggested double clutching. A lifetime ago during my teaching years I moonlighted driving buses for a small independent company. That bought old buses from Greyhound & Trailways. You had to double clutch EVERY SINGLE SHIFT unlike 18 wheelers where you don’t use the clutch at all after you get moving. (Yes. I drove those too.)

2551DC94-1C9D-4722-927C-9B6D80BBD0D6.png

11EEB08C-2731-4A70-A847-82760EC195AD.png