Gear pattern: a different perspective

Yeah I have noticed that a lot of the bearing kits are not providing the amount and proper thickness of shims to get the job done lately.

Yeah, what is up with that? Pisses me off! Just did a 10-bolt for a ‘67 Camaro, same problem! They obviously have never tried to use one of their own kits, 😆

Reactions: Peppergat
Yeah, what is up with that? Pisses me off! Just did a 10-bolt for a ‘67 Camaro, same problem! They obviously have never tried to use one of their own kits, 😆
The kit I got I really had to do a lot of extra work getting my stacks together because of the choices they provided.

After finally getting it set up and starting to do final assembly , I got the pinion preload to tight. It’s very sensitive. I was doing it by hand and barely moved it and , it was too tight. I ordered a nut and crush sleeve and won’t have it until Thursday. I’m thinking tomorrow I’ll go ahead and start getting the 30 ready to do next.

After finally getting it set up and starting to do final assembly , I got the pinion preload to tight. It’s very sensitive. I was doing it by hand and barely moved it and , it was too tight. I ordered a nut and crush sleeve and won’t have it until Thursday. I’m thinking tomorrow I’ll go ahead and start getting the 30 ready to do next.

That's why I hate crush sleeves. I keep extras on hand just for that fact. Once you start getting resistance, it take an incredibly small amount for the preload to shoot way up. Good luck on the next one.

Reactions: Peppergat
That's why I hate crush sleeves. I keep extras on hand just for that fact. Once you start getting resistance, it take an incredibly small amount for the preload to shoot way up. Good luck on the next one.

Yup. I was at like 5 inch lbs and I was moving really slow. I barely turned it and it was at 28. Very sensitive.

Excellent. Yup , that backlash is difficult to get right on the money for me.

Really? Backlash is by far the easiest thing to get right!

🤔

Oh wait, the last gear setup I did was a 14 bolt…

(In my best Rosanne Rosanna Dana Voice) Nevermind!

🙂

Great work getting there, Dude. Nice work.

Really? Backlash is by far the easiest thing to get right!

🤔

Oh wait, the last gear setup I did was a 14 bolt…

(In my best Rosanne Rosanna Dana Voice) Nevermind!

🙂

Great work getting there, Dude. Nice work.

Haha , yup. It was difficult to get it spot on because of the shim selection I had. There just wasn’t any in between sized shims. I did get it very close though.
The pinion preload was another story.

Finally got back after it this morning. These pictures are after the crush sleeve eliminator install. Pinion preload at 12 inch pounds. Gear lash after torque on the bearing caps is at 7.5. I’m thinking I need to open up the gear lash some.

FB27E47B-360F-49D8-BD28-5F65072FAE31.jpeg

C305AB23-B729-457A-ABB8-89EA23B7A03C.jpeg