Gear Pattern Check Please

Jablinski

Mud as Clear
Original poster
Supporting Member
Finally found some time to tackle this. How close am I?
New Revolution gear set in HP 30.
Backlash is @ 8 thou, bearing retainers torqued, and pinion preload is @18/19lbs.
4th go overall, 1st after bracketing (I think, anyway) between 60 and 50 on pinion depth.
Hopefully decent enough pics and clear enough pattern.
Any insight and advice is much appreciated
@Blackjack, @hosejockey61, @anyone else with some ⚙️ knowledge

20220711_153527.jpg

20220711_153643.jpg

20220711_153611.jpg

I've seen it mentioned to add 3 thousands to each side of the carrier upon final setup to ensure proper preload. Mine is by no means currently loose (takes a more than a few good whacks with the dead-blow to get it seated) and the smallest pair of shims leftover is 5 thou.
Would it be advisable to obtain a set of 3 thou, force the set of 5 thou in (my shims are under the carrier bearings), or nah don't sweat it?

I've seen it mentioned to add 3 thousands to each side of the carrier upon final setup to ensure proper preload. Mine is by no means currently loose (takes a more than a few good whacks with the dead-blow to get it seated) and the smallest pair of shims leftover is 5 thou.
Would it be advisable to obtain a set of 3 thou, force the set of 5 thou in (my shims are under the carrier bearings), or nah don't sweat it?

It shouldn't be easy to put in. I hate adding shims at the end because it always seems to throw the pattern off however slightly. If it takes you 6-8 blows with the deadblow, then you're good. If you do decide to add any shims, recheck that pattern to make sure it's still good.

this suggests you got a fair bit already, some would consider that sufficient.

It shouldn't be easy to put in. I hate adding shims at the end because it always seems to throw the pattern off however slightly. If it takes you 6-8 blows with the deadblow, then you're good. If you do decide to add any shims, recheck that pattern to make sure it's still good.

Yeah, it's 5-6 blows, bearing caps don't fit, then another 4-5 blows to drive it home

Pattern looks great to me, too.

As far as carrier pre-load, you want to be tight... Like just barely able to start it tight. Instead of buying new shims, can you reconfigure what you have to got two or three more thou?

Possibly 🤷‍♂️ Think I'll give it a shot, then run another pattern... if only because I feel like I got off way too easy on this one and If I don't do it, I'll somehow regret it.
I'm not superstitious...sometimes 😆

Reactions: Mike_H
Possibly 🤷‍♂️ Think I'll give it a shot, then run another pattern... if only because I feel like I got off way too easy on this one and If I don't do it, I'll somehow regret it.

If you plan on doing that, write down your shim combinations before changing anything so you know a good point to come back to.

You might be the tiniest bit deep and it would be a complete waste of time to change it. If I have to adjust for preload after I got a pattern I add them only on the side opposite of the ring gear to avoid decreasing the backlash. If the backlash opens up too much when I do that then I know to move some shim to the ring gear side of the carrier.

Reactions: Jablinski
You might be the tiniest bit deep and it would be a complete waste of time to change it. If I have to adjust for preload after I got a pattern I add them only on the side opposite of the ring gear to avoid decreasing the backlash. If the backlash opens up too much when I do that then I know to move some shim to the ring gear side of the carrier.

Thanks. Was already in the middle of managing to add .002 to each side. Saw this and removed .002 from the pinion. Too shallow on the coast? (HP 30)
We should probably preach this more for everyone through the whole process to help with those that happen to get lost.

If none of this works out, I did keep some detailed notes and even labled the exact shims used for the last pattern

20220711_205739.jpg

20220711_205652.jpg

20220711_205710.jpg

Your drive side looks almost identical to the first pattern you posted. I figured you only be about 1 thou off which is why I was just saying leave it. But this pattern is good too. Remember you want to favor the drive side on a HP30... Your coast is fine

Forgot to mention that these movements raised the BL to 9.
Your drive side looks almost identical to the first pattern you posted. I figured you only be about 1 thou off which is why I was just saying leave it. But this pattern is good too. Remember you want to favor the drive side on a HP30... Your coast is fine
Time to pack it in for the day. Starting to do stupid things like tightening the pinion nut without the setup bearing in place... wtf is this nut bottoming out?Only took out 2 thou!😵‍💫
Thanks for the advice and help everyone
...don't mess with it anymore!

I shoulda listened!

Looks a smidge deep, but only a very tiny bit and if you've tried 4-5 patterns already, likely is the best you can do. I probably wouldn't mess with it anymore, considering how your coast side looks...

For carrier preload, before I even start checking patterns, I add shims to both sides (favoring the right hand side to keep the ring gear out of the pinon) and keep adding shims to the right side to get the carrier to barely slip in and out by hand (basically to where I can just barely slide it into place or where it requires the slightest tap with a rubber mallet). I then tighten the caps and use a dial indicator to make sure I'm at 0.00" play (laterally). This makes checking patterns easier but also gives me the true 0.00" preload total-shim-stack-thickness. From there, it's easy to add the final 0.015" to get the Dana-specified carrier preload. Since you're already whacking it in place with some effort, you're probably close enough and without a case spreader, you're probably not going to have a fun time getting the carrier in place without freezing the carrier itself.

i read you cannot have to much carrier preload, or more correctly stated maybe......you cannot get the thing in or out with to much bearing preload.

both my JK axles run the shim stacks outside the bearing now......... i figured my stacks then reconfigured them to have the thickest shim possible on each side after adding +.003 each way..........then tapped them suckers in and it takes turning the pinion and a big pry bar to get that sucker out.

the way i configured the shim stacks the thinnest went against the bearing and the second thickest stayed to the outside of the thinner shims for less chance to wrinkle it tapping that last fatty home between the shim stack and the housing.

Reactions: Jablinski and pc1p