Gear pattern check

NPhopper

TJ Enthusiast
Im regearing front and rear with 5.13 gears and ox manual shift lockers. Im looking for input on my pattern in the dana 30. Backlash is currently 7.5

20220626_212755.jpg

20220626_212820.jpg

You're close, but it still looks a tad bit deep. When you run your pattern, apply more pressure to make the pattern more clear. It's fuzzy at the top which makes it difficult to read.

looks like the wrong way, it's all over the top not near mid tooth yet. maybe 6-7thou back the other way? i'd go 10 and see if that gets me on the deep side and work back from that, no?

looks like the wrong way, it's all over the top not near mid tooth yet. maybe 6-7thou back the other way? i'd go 10 and see if that gets me on the deep side and work back from that, no?

If you mean 10 thou deeper behind the pinion i was there as well and the pattern was really bad on the drive side.let me see if i can find the pic.

thats ridin the top edge of the tooth, the movement you made brought it out more.

What do you recommend then because in my mind if i put the 2.7 thou back in its gonna give the pattern that i posted the better pics

20220626_212758.jpg

This one here is 2.7 thou deeper and you can see on the drive side that its too deep?

post 6 still looks like it could be deeper to me. post 6 has a decent shape but should have some witness above the scrape too.

post 8 says you pulled 2.7 and your shape got cut in half over the top. tells me wrong direction.

post 13 is the closest you've shown good shapes good length but could be a tad deeper. when you get to deep that football shape will have a flat line across the bottom, i'm not seeing that and that leads me to believe you have room to pull it in some and that'll bring the other side in a tad as well.

i don't wanna step on toes here wait for hosejockey if your more comfortable.

Last edited:
another thing is the painted teeth tell a story but try to include some teeth with just the rub off. sometimes the rub off tells a better story than a gooey tooth.

Reactions: NPhopper
post 6 still looks like it could be deeper to me. post 6 has a decent shape but should have some witness above the scrape too.

post 8 says you pulled 2.7 and your shape got cut in half over the top.

post 13 is the closest you've shown good shapes good length but could be a tad deeper. when you get to deep that football shape will have a flat line across the bottom, i'm not seeing that and that leads me to believe you have room to pull it in some and that'll bring the other side in a tad as well.

i don't wanna step on toes here wait for hosejockey if your more comfortable.

So i went i slight bit deeper than post 13 and i came back with this pattern at 8 thou backlash.

20220627_170616.jpg
thinking about running this, what do you think? @someguysjeep @hosejockey61

better to me. your football is just barely startin to edge into that flat bottom and the swipe is long and wide. the other side looks like in might have come in barely but it's a good solid swipe as well.

the only way to know if it could be better is push it 1 thou more and if that wrecks it, you gp back figuring this is the best you might get from that set.

Reactions: NPhopper
Got the yellow off of all teeth then i put 3 differnt spots 3 teeth each and this is the pattern i got.

I starting to think your on the dot, that this might be the best it gets with this gearset.

16563754852356166354098998209112.jpg

16563755750315112178109616906640.jpg