Gear ratios and bad advice

Care to explain. I have had no trouble with mine and the owner of Blue Monkey Motorsports provided me with great service not only when I purchased it but a year later when I re-geared and had forgotten how to set it.

I know there are other options but I have no familiarity with them.

Or were you joking?
You perfectly laid out an example of why I despise them. One should not have to get back in touch a year later to figure out how to correct the speedo or keep track of a 99 item correction factor page. One should be able to reach in the glove box, pull the box out, stick a small flat blade screwdriver in the potentiometer, turn it to adjust the speed reading and then put it back when done.

I don't need service, its a small box with a couple of wires.

. . . One should not have to get back in touch a year later to figure out how to correct the speedo or keep track of a 99 item correction factor page. . . .

I left out the part of my story that I was simply too freaking lazy to look for the instructions or even do the simple correction % calculation on my phone so I called Blue Monkey Motorsports and wasted his time instead. He was happy to give me the correction factor even though we both knew that I could have figured it out myself had I cared to exercise a brain cell or two.

But I hear what you're saying.

obviously we have different goals. Me I like speed. I grew up with go karts... the 100mph kind, and rally cars. I have zero interest in crawling up a waterfall. When the the highway sign says, slow to 60kph for a curve,,,,, even in my TJR I take that corner at 60mph.... even with a trailer. Different goals, different needs, different results.

Fotmula One, NASCAR, INDY, LeMans and the Baja 1000 are the motor sports I love.

Why is that so hard to understand?

You guys are so frickin' close minded. You treat different opinions as personal attacks.

Obviously you aren't giving out recommendations and I can appreciate your input. It's always good to hear from others who are running whatever they are running and how it is working in their setup. I totally agree with you in that it's difficult to have any input around here unless you clear it and have complete agreement with the TJ God complex group on here. You only need to be happy with what you have and how it works for how you are using it, period. Keep sharing...

Toss in the 26 tooth and that will get you close. Post up in the wanted section, there is likely one around you can have for shipping and I'll check mine here in a few and see if I have one.
Hopefully I can figure out how to do this myself. I’m determined and it doesn’t seem too difficult. Any tips to make it easier?

Obviously you aren't giving out recommendations and I can appreciate your input. It's always good to hear from others who are running whatever they are running and how it is working in their setup. I totally agree with you in that it's difficult to have any input around here unless you clear it and have complete agreement with the TJ God complex group on here. You only need to be happy with what you have and how it works for how you are using it, period. Keep sharing...
It isn't difficult to give input at all. Ya'll are just butthurt because you come up with stupid shit and then don't like when it gets pointed out.

Hopefully I can figure out how to do this myself. I’m determined and it doesn’t seem too difficult. Any tips to make it easier?
Remove the bolt in the hold down fork. Carefully wiggle the sender out of the hole. Pop off speedo gear, pop on new speedo gear, (read as yank and smack) look at the range numbers on the side of the sender, find the spread that the new gear matches, line that up with the dot on the bottom of the opening or straight down, put the hold down fork on the flange, start the bolt, turn the sender until notches in the flange line up with the tabs on the end of the fork. Tighten it down and go drive it to test.

Very simple. There are YouTube videos on it. Pick up a new O ring before the swap. They get hardened after many years and have a tendency to break or simply lose sealing ability after disturbing it.

Reactions: Serbonze
Please know what you're talking about before making a video to the entire world about something. While the intentions of this video are good, and Bleepin' Jeep usually has good information for its viewers, I don't think I've ever groaned more over a Jeep topic than I did watching this video.

This video is full of misinformation.
Did you email him or comment on his video? Maybe he needs to read this or read some of the sources you have read. This could help prevent the spread of misinformation. It would also help build up our 4x4 community, making it better, after all he has a lot of fans/views who tune in to learn exactly what you know.

In the end, I understand your frustration and your rant is warranted. But why not help the guy out and take some time to teach him? Im sure he would love to read this and learn more.

On the other side of the coin, he may not be willing to listen/read your info, but to me it would be worth the try.

Someone else may know if there is a "25" speedo gear, which is what the chart suggests would be appropriate for 33's and 3.07 gears, but unfortunately I do not.

If there isn't a "25," you could use the "26" gear specified for 3.07 gears and 32" tires and see how close that gets you (many tires listed as 33" in diameter are actually 32.8" or sometimes slightly less).
So I changed it to the 26 and now the speedometer isn’t working at all. What did I do wrong?

The housing needs to be twisted until the speedo gear meshes with the output shaft gear. There are markings on the housing that will coincide with where the housing needs to be, if that makes sense. If you do a search you should be able to find a video on it. I cannot recall the exact position for the different gear.

The housing needs to be twisted until the speedo gear meshes with the output shaft gear. There are markings on the housing that will coincide with where the housing needs to be, if that makes sense. If you do a search you should be able to find a video on it. I cannot recall the exact position for the different gear.
Thank you. I don’t think I did that. Of course....

All you can do is go back and check that you did everything correctly.

Make sure you fully seated the speedo and the electrical plug is completely plugged in.

Here’s a good vid you may have watched

All you can do is go back and check that you did everything correctly.

Make sure you fully seated the speedo and the electrical plug is completely plugged in.

Here’s a good vid you may have watched

I did use this video. It was the best one out there for sure. In my haste and excitement of figuring it out, I clearly didn’t rotate the housing to make sure the gear was seated properly. So I will go back today and do this. Thanks so much!!!

Reactions: JMT