Gear ratios for new tires and lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keston Shook

Hello gentlemen i have a few questions for you all. I am looking to get a 3inch lift and put 33's on my 04 wrangler. I was told i would not need spacers or anything but im not sure how true that statement is so i was wondering what you all thought. also i was wondering if anyone has this set up or something like it and would be willing to tell me what my gears should be at for optimal performance. Any other advice or recommendations on a build like this would be much appreciated.

Hello gentlemen i have a few questions for you all. I am looking to get a 3inch lift and put 33's on my 04 wrangler. I was told i would not need spacers or anything but im not sure how true that statement is so i was wondering what you all thought. also i was wondering if anyone has this set up or something like it and would be willing to tell me what my gears should be at for optimal performance. Any other advice or recommendations on a build like this would be much appreciated.
Hey Keston. Could you list out the specs on your jeep. It would help in knowing what gear is best for your rig. Year, Engine, tranny type, axle and what your plan of use is for the Jeep.

Reactions: StG58
You should be good for mild wheeling and primarily street with a 3" lift. Just make sure you get a quality lift. The 3.73 will be okay but plane on gearing to 4.10 or 4.56 to get the best performance out of those 33's.

Reactions: StG58
Hello gentlemen i have a few questions for you all. I am looking to get a 3inch lift and put 33's on my 04 wrangler. I was told i would not need spacers or anything but im not sure how true that statement is

Just for reference

When I had 3" springs + 1.25" Body, and 33's on 15x10 wheels. I could get a sheet of paper between my tire and the flairs at full flex

Had I only gone with 3" I would have been all up into my flairs as well as the steel without massive bumpstop extensions

12986975_974122902643594_4713061742019451560_n.jpg

12923258_974123442643540_2057082086556452731_n.jpg

Reactions: StG58 and JP98
Just for reference

When I had 3" springs + 1.25" Body, and 33's on 15x10 wheels. I could get a sheet of paper between my tire and the flairs at full flex

Had I only gone with 3" I would have been all up into my flairs as well as the steel without massive bumpstop extensions

View attachment 11300
View attachment 11301
Great pics to illustrate. @Keston Shook this is a great way to let you gauge what is mild wheeling.

Also, from what I understand about the TJ auto, is that it rather kills any kind of "power" that us NV3550 guys seem to experience.

I personally went with 4:10's when I went 33's because mathematically that got me back in the sweet spot of where it was stock (with 30's) but now that I'm on 35's (offroad only) I regret not going 4:56

If I were you I'd go 4:56

Also, from what I understand about the TJ auto, is that it rather kills any kind of "power" that us NV3550 guys seem to experience.

I personally went with 4:10's when I went 33's because mathematically that got me back in the sweet spot of where it was stock (with 30's) but now that I'm on 35's (offroad only) I regret not going 4:56

If I were you I'd go 4:56
Those pictures helped me understand what you are saying so thanks for those! Also awesome jeep! But ok that's good to know, It's probly smart to get a body lift then as well but I will also be running flat fenders so that should help a little bit but I think the more separation the better at that point right? And I think 4:56 is a good call to do right off the bat that way I don't have to worry about it down the road. I'll never be running 35s so I don't have to worry about any of the specs for that haha this jeep is also my daily driver so I'm not trying to go to crazy.

I have 33" tires, a 4" lift, and a 42RLE transmission (same as yours). I went with 4.88 gears and do most of my driving on-road and the highway. 4.88 ended up being absolutely perfect.

I got the recommendation from @Jerry Bransford, and I'm glad I took his advice!

I have 33" tires, a 4" lift, and a 42RLE transmission (same as yours). I went with 4.88 gears and do most of my driving on-road and the highway. 4.88 ended up being absolutely perfect.

I got the recommendation from @Jerry Bransford, and I'm glad I took his advice!
Good to know man thank you! I would like 4inch lift but it's significantly more exspensive, at least from the places I've seen.

Reactions: Chris
Good to know man thank you! I would like 4inch lift but it's significantly more exspensive, at least from the places I've seen.

It will indeed be much more expensive to do a 4" lift and do it the right way. You're best saving up for that if it's in the plans.

Reactions: Keston Shook
I also was looking to run 12.5x10 wheels, do you recommend I go bigger or no?
For 33x12.50xR15 tires, go with 15x8 wheels. 10" wide wheels are too wide for that width tire's mounting beads which are not at its advertised width. That 12.5" width is only at its widest point, half-way up the sidewall. An 8" wide wheel will better match the width of the tire's mounting beads and help the tire to stay safely seated when you're aired down for offroading That width is fine for the highway too. I'm running 15x8 wheels for my 35x12.50xR15 tires.

Edit: 15x10 wheels are ok for 33x12.50 tires for strictly street use but 15x8 wheels are better when you have both offroad and street use needs. :)

Last edited:
For 33x12.50xR15 tires, go with 15x8 wheels. 10" wide wheels are too wide for that width tire's mounting beads which are not at its advertised width. That 12.5" width is only at its widest point, half-way up the sidewall. An 8" wide wheel will better match the width of the tire's mounting beads and help the tire to stay safely seated when you're aired down for offroading That width is fine for the highway too. I'm running 15x8 wheels for my 35x12.50xR15 tires.
That's great to know! Never would have known something like that, thanks a bunch! @Jerry Bransford

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Status
Not open for further replies.