Gear ratios for new tires and lift

Status
Not open for further replies.
That combo, 4.56 at a minimum, 4.88 ideally, 5.13 if you plan on 35's in the future. Stick with a 8" wide wheel if you plan on airing down off road.

That combo, 4.56 at a minimum, 4.88 ideally, 5.13 if you plan on 35's in the future.
If you've ever seen a ring and pinion for a 4.88 dana 30 you'd never consider 5.13. Hell I would never consider 4.88 because of it's size and potential to be the weak link offroad, but that's just me. If you're posing at the mall? Sure! But you have to consider the weak points and what's repairable when you're 10 miles from an access road, and at what point you can limp home. A U-joint? Easy. A broken pinion? yeah not-so-much.

Just my 2¢

Reactions: JP98
If you've ever seen a ring and pinion for a 4.88 dana 30 you'd never consider 5.13. Hell I would never consider 4.88 because of it's size and potential to be the weak link offroad, but that's just me. If you're posing at the mall? Sure! But you have to consider the weak points and what's repairable when you're 10 miles from an access road, and at what point you can limp home. A U-joint? Easy. A broken pinion? yeah not-so-much.

Just my 2¢

If you go with a ring and pinion from a reputable company, such as revolution, there is NOTHING wrong with going with a 5.13 gear ratio. As a matter of fact, I'm running Yukon right now. And a 5.13 gear ration for 33" tires is very very awesome.

FYI, I have a Dana 44 and a Dana 30.

I've seen contrary. But, that's just my experience YMMV

This is just a 4.10 next to a 4.88

pic6.JPG

And I'm not even comfortable with 4.88

But again...that's just me. You be you :cool:

Last edited:
now for another question to add to all this lol what is a good tire thats a good bang for its buck? I don't have the finances to go to crazy but i also want dependable. weather its a wheel and tire combo on a site or something you all have used and found reliable. I desire all the input i can get.

now for another question to add to all this lol what is a good tire thats a good bang for its buck? I don't have the finances to go to crazy but i also want dependable. weather its a wheel and tire combo on a site or something you all have used and found reliable. I desire all the input i can get.
Percentage wise how much on road vs off road? How much of the off road will be fire service type road vs mud? How do you feel about roar from the tires on pavement?

Reactions: Keston Shook
Percentage wise how much on road vs off road? How much of the off road will be fire service type road vs mud? How do you feel about roar from the tires on pavement?
i spend 90% of my time on road and roar from tires does not bother me much at all even on long distance driving and in regards to the style of off roading my area is more mud then anything else.

MT are good tires. Make sure you get a spare to match the tire height. It may be best to go ahead and get the set of 5.

Just my 2¢
How many 5.13 or 4.88 pinions have you seen break? And what were the circumstances that caused the break?

How many 5.13 or 4.88 pinions have you seen break? And what were the circumstances that caused the break?
One of each on wranglers. The 4.88 on a semi-dry day in red clay climbing thru a dry creek bed on a JK at Golden Mountain. The 5.13 at Windrock on a VERY dry day on a set of rocks stacks that were a wheelbase trap on a TJ
5.38 grenaded on the front of a dana 60 in a buggy on middle rock garden at Harlen 2 weeks ago. (not related, but I felt that was odd to blow a dana 60 R&P)

One of each on wranglers. The 4.88 on a semi-dry day in red clay climbing thru a dry creek bed on a JK at Golden Mountain. The 5.13 at Windrock on a VERY dry day on a set of rocks stacks that were a wheelbase trap on a TJ
5.38 grenaded on the front of a dana 60 in a buggy on middle rock garden at Harlen 2 weeks ago. (not related, but I felt that was odd to blow a dana 60 R&P)

The higher the numerical ratio, the thinner the teeth. And then there's the extra force the increased leverage puts on the ring gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.