Gear Recommendation for TJ Fest Moab 2021

Or. Just my whole box.
If I tow. I just might actually.

IMG_20200427_181041_01.jpg

Bringing it home from work tomorrow night I think. I've just got to much work to do at the house. And I don't even use 1/4th of what's on it at work.

I'd honestly say don't worry about having a winch. When my club goes on trail runs and we have someone who doesn't have a winch we just put them in between two people who do so they can recover them either direction.
The BIGGEST issue here is to make sure you have strong recovery points front and rear and sometimes it's best to have one on each side of the rig.

CB: This is always more personal preference THAN anything. This is the CB I have in my daughters TJ.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TLF030M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

OBA: Mine is engine driven so I can't comment farther as to other options.

Tools: Basic kit you would carry any other time.

First Aid: I have been lacking..... Have more than average training so I should carry more. I have a basic kit.

I always bring a fire extinguisher. On board air. A way to air down and air up. Straps, rope, soft shackles. Basic tools. I have a cb. and Rugged radio/uhf. Winch. Basic First Aid Kit. Arb fridge. For people if is their first trip to Moab. I would suggest Water, Water. Be prepared for any and all weather conditions..There will be enough people around to help each other out.

As oljeepman said, definitely pack for all possible weather. Moab is notorious for the weather turning on a dime. When we went in 2013, it was 80+ and still the day before we arrived but, when we got there it was below fifty and windy. The next two days it was uber cold, rained, and hailed! We were lucky to pick up some warm, waterproof coats in a local store (last two they had).
Pack shorts AND full jeans; T-shirts AND long sleeve and absolutely have some cold, wet weather outfits on hand.

Communication

I have a Cobra 75

Recover Gear
Id look for a used warn and put synthetic on it. Some soft shackles and a recovery strap.
a shovel. On board air. A basic tool kit at minimum.

Seats

I have the bestop trailmax II pro. They’re alright to look at and are pretty comfy but I’m looking to restore some factory seats.

Safety/First Aid

I put my own together, i keep in mind how many people in my rig. I have many bandages and some hemostatic dressings,2-3 ace wraps, 2 tourniquets, 2 Sam splints, 2-3 cold packs, a space blanket a small mirror, a whistle, a compass, some nitrile gloves, some clear safety glasses, think trauma because thats really the only thing you can treat on the trail unless you have an underlying condition or special training. Some Benadryl is a good thing to have. I keep a charged portable power pack to charge my phone in an emergency and a gallon of water per person in the rig. A fire extinguisher.

Last edited:
How bad is the dust? Irritate your contacts kind of bad? Need to wear a bandana?
Most of the trails (that I've been on) are 97% rock so the dust is minimal. There are some dirt trails that run around the base of the rocks that can be very dusty as the sand is quite fine and, if it's been dry, it whips up a bit. Also, the dirt road to/from some trails can be very dusty.
If I wore contacts (I can't 'cause my eyes are too dry), I would invest in a pair of ATV goggles. That way, when it get's nasty, you can slap on the goggles. Keep them in a container of some sort so they don't get coated in dust on the inside while you're not wearing them.
As for breathing, I never really noticed it too much but we were wearing ATV helmets with some filtration and it rained a bit nearly every day so it never got nasty. I'm planning on bringing something like these (this is not a specific endorsement as I have not purchased them) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086BM3JM7/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Stay away from the ones with skulls, superhero faces, etc. printed on them as these will inhibit air flow (prints in the fabric are fine).

Reactions: PNBLD
THINGS TO INCLUDE:
1. TJ.
2. Wife/hubby/s.o. It's just easier that way.
3. Basic survival gear: bacon, toilet paper, beer (or, in my case, rum & coke). Of course, all of these are readily available in Moab...unless you require a specific brand of bacon. 🥓
4. The ability to defer to those with greater knowledge and not doing something just because others do. Nothing will get you in trouble faster than hubris or bending to (perceived) peer pressure. If you're really not comfortable doin' it, don't do it! If someone with more experience gives you advice, I suggest you listen.
5. Something like a trasharoo (a simple potato sack is great). Ya don't want to be leavin' your spent bacon and TP on the trail :) Come to think, some plastic bags would prolly be wise. 😷
6. Chargers for your essential electronics. As @Nickgsjeep pointed out, a portable power pack can be a real boon, especially the ones that can be used to start your TJ if, for instance, your Jeep's battery (or alternator) dies. This is the one I have https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GN5HHXJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20
7. Sensible shoes. Seriously, don't be showin' up with no clogs or sandals. Expect that you WILL be dealing with rough terrain and may be dealing with wet, cold, rough terrain.
8. If you do not yet have (extra) shackles, I strongly suggest getting soft shackles because, like synth cable in a winch, they are far less likely to whip around and remove your spleen in the event of some sort of recovery snafu/failure.
9. Spare parts for anything really specific to your build. Yes, the fine folks in Moab have parts galore available for your average (and, sometimes, above average) Wrangler but, if you have some specific bits on your build that are possible/probable points of failure, it's on you to bring spares. In my case, I have CV front axles for which I already have spares...and they will be with me.
10. Leave your prejudices and religious biases in your TJ...or at home. The folks in Utah are, by and large, Mormon, and are very sensitive to things we might find NBFD...like, um, swearing :devilish:. It's their town/state and we are just visitors, so it's well worth "keeping cool". You know, like when you were 17 and parking and the cops suddenly show up :whistle:. Yes sir, absolutely sir,coolant temperature looked a bit high and just letting the engine cool down, sir.
11. Your sense of adventure..and your camera!
12. Chapstick. It can also be quite dry.
13. This was mentioned by a few others here and in the main TJ Fest 2021 thread but I'll throw it in here as well; you should seriously consider recovery points on your Jeep, front and rear. If something goes awry, someone else will likely have a winch but not having a safe place to attach on your rig could seriously hinder the recovery.

Last edited:
THINGS TO INCLUDE:
1. TJ.
2. Wife/hubby/s.o. It's just easier that way.
3. Basic survival gear: bacon, toilet paper, beer (or, in my case, rum & coke). Of course, all of these are readily available in Moab...unless you require a specific brand of bacon. 🥓
4. The ability to defer to those with greater knowledge and not doing something just because others do. Nothing will get you in trouble faster than hubris or bending to (perceived) peer pressure. If you're really not comfortable doin' it, don't do it! If someone with more experience gives you advice, I suggest you listen.
5. Something like a trasharoo (a simple potato sack is great). Ya don't want to be leavin' your spent bacon and TP on the trail :) Come to think, some plastic bags would prolly be wise. 😷
6. Chargers for your essential electronics. As @Nickgsjeep pointed out, a portable power pack can be a real boon, especially the ones that can be used to start your TJ if, for instance, your Jeep's battery (or alternator) dies. This is the one I have https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GN5HHXJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20
7. Sensible shoes. Seriously, don't be showin' up with no clogs or sandals. Expect that you WILL be dealing with rough terrain and may be dealing with wet, cold, rough terrain.
8. If you do not yet have (extra) shackles, I strongly suggest getting soft shackles because, like synth cable in a winch, they are far less likely to whip around and remove your spleen in the event of some sort of recovery snafu/failure.
9. Spare parts for anything really specific to your build. Yes, the fine folks in Moab have parts galore available for your average (and, sometimes, above average) Wrangler but, if you have some specific bits on your build that are possible/probable points of failure, it's on you to bring spares. In my case, I have CV front axles for which I already have spares...and they will be with me.
10. Leave your prejudices and religious biases in your TJ...or at home. The folks in Utah are, by and large, Mormon, and are very sensitive to things we might find NBFD...like, um, swearing :devilish:. It's their town/state and we are just visitors, so it's well worth "keeping cool". You know, like when you were 17 and parking and the cops suddenly show up :whistle:. Yes sir, absolutely sir,coolant temperature looked a bit high and just letting the engine cool down, sir.
11. Your sense of adventure..and your camera!

That is a fantastic list you put together! I've been on the fence about how much more stuff I was going to do to my TJ before I go, but I'm seriously considering doing a couple more things now that you have brought up some good points!

Speaking of discounts
18351d120ea69ef19fd44f5a7b73ecfa.gif

Do we have any discount for @mrblaine 's awesome BB kits for those of us who don't relish the idea of tackling a long road trip, much less Moab, with our cruddy brakes? Thinking I'm gonna just go that way and be done with my brake issues. Then, I won't be screaming as I run headlong down the backside of Hell's Revenge. OK, not as much, anyway. 😨

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
things to think about after reading some of the replies here. just my .02 worth.

while we were there we aired down once, and drove all weekend like that then aired up right before we left town. honestly the trails for the most part are not that far from town depending where you stay.

safety gear make sure you have a strap and a recovery winch kit. good solid winch points, remember even if we pull you off trial. someone has to drive it threw the obstetrical still to get out. there is a trail recovery mechanic out there that is actually very reasonable. one of the guys with us tore the front control arm bracket off his front axle with tow was less then a grand to get it fixed. the guy said he was very happy with this mech.

we carried food in a cooler if you need one we put a 55qt cooler made by lifetime and it is bear proof if locked. got it at wal mart for 97.00 it is very similar to the yeti that everyone likes. it was extremely cold all weekend and held ice all weekend for us. but i bet if you were to throw dry ice in it you would have frozen hamburger still after a week (do this while camping here in NM with summer heat in the sun all day in a cheap colmen cooler and never had a issue. just something to think about. (also in town there is a Krogers chain grocery that is reasonable prices were very close to what we pay here. and they have a gas station also. with a points system if you buy inside you get cheaper gas

coms, personally i run two. i have a small uniden C.B. and a ham set up that works awesome for a 70.00 cheap radio on amazon. just use a decent ant. and a good coax. and set the swr's you will be fine.

if you dont have a winch and are looking to buy one. keep some things in mind.
1. synthetic rope is awesome stuff, BUT remember how you use it. if you are in rocks and gritty mud all the time you might plan to have the line savers or at the very least a second line to replace one if it breaks.
2. steel cable is also awesome, how ever it dose take some more vigilance on making sure people are not standing in the way or where they could get hurt.

snatch blocks can not be used on both if you want to keep your line in good shape and own a synthetic cable.

soft shackles are amazing for getting it to spaces you normally cant to get a good hook on something.

make sure you have your rig in order. good levels of fluid etc... and i would recommend changing the diffs and the trans fluids etc.. so you know it is good before you go.

caring extra gas cans is a good idea if your rig uses it pretty fast. i never went below 1/2 tank on anyone trail unless i had not topped it off before we went out.

the whole town was awesome. plenty of places for stickers of trails you have gone on. badge of honor stuff is out there, and you will find that they have trails from mild to wild and you can find a challenge for all levels, and most of the jeeps on trail were kool. some of the ATV/UTV folks were less then desirable and tend to try to pass at the wrong times. but drive your rig and be careful where you are at and if in doubt STOP and look. its your life and your rig. so that will always come first over a idiot being stupid. and they are few and far between for the most part.

caring extra gas cans is a good idea if your rig uses it pretty fast. i never went below 1/2 tank on anyone trail unless i had not topped it off before we went out.
My rig is a gas hog but the only place where I was close to needing my spare gas was going to Canyon lands specifically Elephant hill. Got back to Moab on low fuel. Everyone burning gas should top off every morning.

My rig is a gas hog but the only place where I was close to needing my spare gas was going to Canyon lands specifically Elephant hill. Got back to Moab on low fuel. Everyone burning gas should top off every morning.

Quick question now that we are talking about fuel and filling up. I get all my diesel fuel from Sheetz here on the east coast. I refuse to ever get diesel from Exxon again (long story) what gas stations chains are there out in Utah.

I tend to want to get diesel from places I know such as Valero and Shell. I know someone mentioned somewhere there is a Kroger out in Moab but I can't remember if Kroger sells diesel fuel either because I never fill up there locally.

Quick question now that we are talking about fuel and filling up. I get all my diesel fuel from Sheetz here on the east coast. I refuse to ever get diesel from Exxon again (long story) what gas stations chains are there out in Utah.

I tend to want to get diesel from places I know such as Valero and Shell. I know someone mentioned somewhere there is a Kroger out in Moab but I can't remember if Kroger sells diesel fuel either because I never fill up there locally.
Mavericks are real common in Utah aloo there are Chevron And Texaco.
Edit: almost forgot there’s a Shell close to Rim Village where most are staying.