Gear Recommendation for TJ Fest Moab 2021

RustyAutoholicGuy

Diesel Wrangler Guy
Supporting Member
Hey TJers,

So I've committed to going to TJ Fest with a Wrangler that still isn't street legal yet, but hey I've got a year, so it shouldn't be too difficult . . . I hope.

ANYWAY assuming that goes perfectly, this will be my first large scale off-roading trip ever. My two bucket list destinations, so far, are Moab and Rubicon Trail and I'm excited to get one off my list! However with that said I know I need to get some gear for my rig!

Communication

I really want to go FRS/GMRS just for the better clarity in audio quality but it sounds like the name of the game is CB so I'm looking into that now. I've narrowed my list down to the following radios:

Midland 75-822
Uniden CMX560 (Discontinued)
Uniden CMX760
Cobra 75

I've picked these radio for how small they are and how easily I can remove them from my TJ, I don't plan on running them full time, mostly because where I live and everyone I hang out with has FRS/GMRS.

Recover Gear

Simply put I don't really have anything. I'm debating adding a winch with a synthetic rope but it's only if I can get the funds for it. Part of my build was to keep my Jeep light so I want to keep that the focus. Since I'm going with such a large group, I'm debating forgoing for this trip. However what other gear should I have equipped?

Seats

I've realized I'm going to be putting some long hard miles on my TJ getting out to Moab, about 2000 miles each way, so adding as much comfort to my TJ as possible would be great. Also keeping in mind I'm 6'5". I'm debating adding two suspension seats to make the trip as comfortable as possible but any recommendation on other seats that easily bolt/modify to fit a TJ Wrangler would be fantastic as well! I always like going with stock Jeep stuff, so if anyone knows if a seat of adjustable seats out of a Grand Cherokee will fit in a Wrangler let me know, I might go that route instead to save some cash!

Safety/First Aid

What would be a good health/safety kit to have on my TJ? All my wheeling and off-roading experience has been on family owned land so I've never worried about having this type of kit in my rig. While it's easy enough to find a basic kit online, I'm more looking for recommendation on a quality kit and what should be included with it!

I think that is it for now, thank you so much for the help!

-Grant

Last edited:
THANK YOU! i was actually wondering about this myself.
probably wouldnt be a bad idea for people to know what recovery gear is going to be available, and what type of communication will be used.

Recovery gear
i've got some tow straps, a snatch cable, two pully blocks, a few (5)shackles, my winch, tree straps

Comms
Uniden BearCat (insert numbers here) [also have not used it a lot, before i switched antennas i could pick up people there were about 14miles away - that was when i was running a NO GROUND PLANE FireStik - i switched to a ground plane FireStik and i have barely picked up anyone. the issue with this is the lack of conducive material on our TJ's]

Two Beofeng HAM radios (which i dont really use to transmit because i do not have my ham license yet, who knows i might have it by the time we all get to moab next year)

Saftey (FIRST AID)

I always carry a simple firstaid kit in all of my cars. for this trip i will probably bring my
trauma kit. mainly because i will be so far from home, in an unfamiliar area. and better to have it and not need it. you know the saying (;

Last edited:
Radio - I actually have the Uniden CMX760 on my amazon list, so I'm partial to that one.

Recovery - If you don't have a winch, just ensure that you have solid attachment points and your own shackles would be my suggestion. Probably a couple recovery straps as well (one static, one dynamic).

Seats - I've been eyeing PRP daily driver's often, many here seem to really like them. I've had the bestop seats in my YJ for a while and they're quite comfy too.

Safety - I'm probably lacking in this department as well, I've got two kits that i've throne together myself. They have been good so far, but they really only have the basics.

Going to link to this thread in the first post on the TJ Fest event thread. Good idea for a companion thread (y)

Thank you @Chris I think that's a great idea!

Should maybe add spare parts to bring on this too

I forgot to mention that but I was planning on bringing parts I can't easily get replacements for there, so a lift pump, injectors, injection pump and possibly a spare turbo because I already own it.

Everything else is readily available at most parts stores.

I've been thinking about getting one. But I don't have a LJ, so idk about using up all that valuable tj cargo space to stage it lol
Do you haul a cooler? If it’s at all close in size the fridge is way more beneficial. Having an icy, I mean half frozen, bottle of water when it’s 104 degrees in canyon lands is worth it.

Do you haul a cooler? If it’s at all close in size the fridge is way more beneficial. Having an icy, I mean half frozen, bottle of water when it’s 104 degrees in canyon lands is worth it.
I'll be honest. I haven't gotten the chance to camp much in my tj yet. Went on one trip, my anniversary last August. Stayed at a lodge so we didn't bring much in the way of that, all the trails we did were close enough that we could come back for lunch n all that.
It's sad, I snapped my axle after taking ownership of the yellow beast within two months. It's been sitting under my carport ever since. 😭
Still waiting on my locker so I can do a full rebuild on the Dana 35. I'm about ready to drive down to Florida and give Morris 4x4 a piece of my mind. At the same time, I understand because of all the virus junk going on.
Bringing my welder back from work tomorrow and I'm going to try to weld my axle shaft to my diff carrier so I can drive it some more to make sure I don't need to get anything else mechanical for it.

But now that. I think about it.... If I weld the axle shaft. It might be hard to take out once the locker comes in. . . . Hahaaaaaaaa. Oh well. Patience is still something I'm working on.

I recommend preparing your rig to stand up to the trails at Moab. I’m not suggesting over-kill, but a recovery could be very expensive. In some parts of Canyonlands National Park up to $2,000. Granted, we are a big group and we will get you out, but better not to need to have us get you out. So, check everything and if you need stronger shafts, get them before the trip. If you need a spare, get one before. If you need a new serpentine belt, get one before, et. Al you get the point.

Comms
My Cobra 75 is kinda suck, but it works if you talk slow.

Recovery
Winch, tree strap, d rings or soft shackles

Safety
I carry a basic first aid kit, nothing fancy. Bring a helmet if you plan to roll over.

Tools
A basic set of tools and torque wrench for trail fixes. Assorted goodies including JB Weld and Duct Tape.

I'll be honest. I haven't gotten the chance to camp much in my tj yet. Went on one trip, my anniversary last August. Stayed at a lodge so we didn't bring much in the way of that, all the trails we did were close enough that we could come back for lunch n all that.
It's sad, I snapped my axle after taking ownership of the yellow beast within two months. It's been sitting under my carport ever since. 😭
Still waiting on my locker so I can do a full rebuild on the Dana 35. I'm about ready to drive down to Florida and give Morris 4x4 a piece of my mind. At the same time, I understand because of all the virus junk going on.
Bringing my welder back from work tomorrow and I'm going to try to weld my axle shaft to my diff carrier so I can drive it some more to make sure I don't need to get anything else mechanical for it.

But now that. I think about it.... If I weld the axle shaft. It might be hard to take out once the locker comes in. . . . Hahaaaaaaaa. Oh well. Patience is still something I'm working on.
You should be able to find some Dana 35 shafts on CL if you are anywhere near population center. Keep an eye out. Maybe cost you $100.

You should be able to find some Dana 35 shafts on CL if you are anywhere near population center. Keep an eye out. Maybe cost you $100.
I've got a set of 30spline axle shafts sitting in the box right now. 4.56gears, master over haul kit for the axle. Literally the only thing left before I pull the trigger on installing is my OX locker w/ lever and shift cable.
I like knobs and levers, 😀😀😀😀

On recovery

Since you have a year and a budget I would look for a used Warn and go through it and add a syn. rope. I also like having soft shackles over D-Rings but I do carry one D-Ring. The soft ones are more expensive but easy to store, you can stuff them under your seat and not worry about them flying around. I keep mine attached to my roll bar. You should have tow points front and rear, a tree strap for the Rubicon not Moab and tow straps.

Also i recommended ALWAYS carrying a couple of ratchet straps, then come in handy for some many Red Neck fixes.