Gear shop hesitant to install 5.13 gears

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The axle shop that’s done all the work on my gearing in the past, is hesitant to install 5.13 gears on my dana 35 w/ revolution chromoly shafts 30 spline w/ e-locker. When I originally upgraded to 4.56 gears years ago I had 33’s . Now I’m looking to re -gear again to either 4.88or 5.13 gears. Shop owner said he wouldn’t go 5.13 as the teeth has such little surface area compared to 4.56 gears . The general consensus I’ve seen on the forum is 5.13 is the most ideal for 35’s and restoring factory ratios. The Jeep is mostly daily driven on-road and it’s a 4.0 5 speed. What are you opinions on which gear ratio I should choose, 4.88 or 5.13?

thanks

Tell them to install them anyway, they don't know WTF they're talking about. And due to how the ring gear and pinion gear tooth count was changed for 5.13 and 5.38 gears there is still the same number of teeth engaged as would be with 4.10. Not to mention 5.13 is now one of the most commonly installed gear ratios in our TJs. :)

P.S. If they refuse to believe that have them call Brook Hilton at www.revolutiongear.com who is their head guy. Brook will set them straight.

Reactions: connor grimes