Gearing down stock Rubicon carriers

CatskillMNTrubicon

I am lifting my 04 rubicon and will be putting 35's and or possibly 37's on it. What ring and pinion sets can I choose from without changing my stock rubicon locking carriers? I'm thinking 4:55 or 4:88 is what I want

Reactions: JeepZilla380
"Thick" gear sets are what you need for your Rubicon lockers and X2 on the recommendation for Revolution Gear & Axle's gears. For 35's X2 for 5.38 if you're running the automatic, definitely. You could go 4.88 or 5.13 if you have the 5-speed. Don't install 37's, the Rubicon's Dana 44 axles are not strong enough for 37's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
5.38 Revolution gears. That’s what I’m putting in my 05 Rubicon with 35s and an auto tranny.

Stock tires ATM and stock 4:10's
I would go with 4.88 with 35s on a manual. If you drive alot on the highway/freeway. If you want more low end power with a lack of good freeway speed i would go with 5.13 gears.

I personally would go with revolution 4.88 gears from allens offroad. They are thick geaks so you keep your factory lockers.

https://www.xf_vendor_spam_manageme...ar-Packages/Gear-Packages-Jeep/Rev-TJ-Rub-488

Last edited:
I currently run 4.88/33s/nv3550 in my daily driver. Highway driving is perfectly fine. 75mph is at 3k rpm.

If I move to 35s, I would want 5.13.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My rig is going to be more of a long distance overland expedition vehicle pulling an adventure trailer, so lots of highway driving and also the ability to get up in the mountains on some decent trails mostly forest service roads.

My rig is going to be more of a long distance overland expedition vehicle pulling an adventure trailer, so lots of highway driving and also the ability to get up in the mountains on some decent trails mostly forest service roads.
4.88 would be a perfect ratio for that. 5.13 wouldn't be too low of a ratio too though. Especially if you'll ever be at higher altitudes when towing your trailer.

Reactions: CatskillMNTrubicon
My rig is going to be more of a long distance overland expedition vehicle pulling an adventure trailer. . . .

First, forget the 37" tires. The TJ Dana 44 axles won't stand up to the forces created by 37" tires no matter how the axle assemblies are modified. Its a money pit with no real reward. Besides, you don't need 37" tires for an "overlanding" vehicle. 33's are typically enough.

For 35" tires and the 4.0l motor with 5 speed manual transmission you should consider 4.88 or 5.13 gears. If you don't mind downshifting when necessary the 4.88 gears will be adequate, however if your goal is to gear for both your tire size and the weight of the trailer you will be towing then 5.13 may be the better choice, particularly if you anticipate frequent elevation changes and tough grades.

My advice would be to try to find a similarly equipped jeep with the tire size and gear ratio you are considering and test drive it. Then you will know for sure which gear ratio is best for you and won't be relying so much on crowd wisdom or Internet experts..

Reactions: CatskillMNTrubicon
What about the later model Rubicon’s (05-06) with the 6 speed nsg370? Would 35s and 4.56 gearing be best or 4.88?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What about the later model Rubicon’s (05-06) with the 6 speed nsg370? Would 35s and 4.56 gearing be best or 4.88?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
well the AX-15 gears are 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79,
nsg370 gears are 4.46 2.61 1.72 1.25 1.00 0.84

so other then a much lower 1st at top end you are going to be bretty much the same as the 5 speed.

well the AX-15 gears are 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79,
nsg370 gears are 4.46 2.61 1.72 1.25 1.00 0.84

so other then a much lower 1st at top end you are going to be bretty much the same as the 5 speed.
The 03-04 Rubicons used the NV3550, not the AX-15.
  • 1st: 4.01:1
  • 2nd: 2.32:1
  • 3rd: 1.40:1
  • 4th: 1.00:1
  • 5th: .078:1
  • Reverse 3.57:1

i was going more for just an example that at top end the 6 speed and 5 speeds are very close to each other. the bigest change in gears are going from manual to auto. then you have a lot more to take into consideration. For example what kind of torque converter you have can affect the low end as well as the hig end. Its been a while sence i have played with torque converters. im sure they have gotten better sence the days of the 70's musslle cars.

I am also going to be regearing my 44s to accommodate 35” tires with the nsg370 trans. I’m use to 5 speed Xj and zjs. As I’ve read the difference is minimal so 4.88s should be sufficient right?
4.88 would be more than enough for 35's with your 6-speed transmission and a good decision. The 6-speed is geared lower than the 5-speed is so you'd have slightly higher engine rpms with the 6-speed than 5-speed. Not enough so so that I'd consider going with 4.56.