Gears with wheel and tire size

I had the 3.73 gears then I upgraded to 4.56 gears due to me moving up to 35" tires. So my question is i have 15" wheels and I want to move up to 35"13.50 rim 20. Would I have to regear it since I am moving up in wheel size?

No, you would not need to necessarily regear. Out of curiosity, what year, what axles and what transmission are you using? Moving to a 13.5 wide tire I would be concerned about the weight more than anything. Especially if you use a Dana 35 in the back. That's a lot of rotational mass at the end of that axle.

Your gear ratio should be focused around tire size and the transmission you have in your TJ. What is the year, make and model of your TJ? We need to know which transmission it has to give sound advice.

Reactions: JMT
Also, like to help but not enough data as per ^^^. It helps if everyone reading this updates their profile with the specs and mods on their Jeep. That way we don't have to ask the same questions over and over again. :)

Reactions: StG58
He already has 35" tires on 15" rims. He has already regeared to 4.56's. he wants to go up to 35" on 20" rims. So no you don't need to regear cuz you are not changing the diameter of the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He already has 35" tires on 15" rims. He has already regeared to 4.56's. he wants to go up to 35" on 20" rims. So no you don't need to regear cuz you are not changing the diameter of the tire.

I totally missed that, good catch!

You're right, he doesn't need to change the gearing at all because he's only changing wheel size, not tire size.

20" wheels on a TJ though? I've got to see that...

I still wondered if 4.56 was the right gearing for his rig or just what was done following the charts...He could still be undergeared, though he may not mind

Well he's not asking that. So.

"I still wondered..."
Whether he wants to reveal that information is his business...