Gen III Hemi Swap into TJ—Reference Guide & Swap Info

This is a great build with a ton of information! Amazing job! I know I’m late to the party, but you mentioned earlier that with the computer situation that the 05-06 TJ’s came with a CAN bus system? Am i misreading this because in my research for the swap on my 06 TJ manual trans, I have been told that I need an 05 Ram 2500 manual computer which is PCI bus. Am I supposed to be sourcing a later style computer and wiring for that matter?

I also bought the Holley mounts and was wondering how much further forward you would estimate the front face of the bell housing is now sitting compared to stock? I’m putting a brand new AX15 from Novak and was hoping the shifter wouldn’t be too far forward. Thanks in advance and keep up the amazing job!

The easy way to fix the shifter on the transmission is to weld and extension to it. I'm trying to find a picture of one done but am having issues finding it. When I do I'll post it up here. Basically you use a piece of flat stock to move the shifter back into the hole in the floorboard.

Reactions: pc1p
Thanks to both of you guys for the quick reply’s!! I too, have read about the TJ’s only being PCI after 01, but I just wanted to make sure they never changed again. It seems to be very hard finding info on the 05-06’s in general, let alone for a hemi swap, even though on paper, they seem to be the most straightforward.
Mopar/Jeep stuff in general is typically short in info and availability - that's really the main reason I compiled this as I went through my swap and learned along the way!

I see where you have you motor placed on the Holley mounts, you only have that little 1/4” or so of room before the valve cover hits the firewall. I can’t imagine the motor could be moved back anymore regardless of different engine mounts, though I could be wrong. I know I’ve seen the ax15/nv3550 behind a hemi before, I just have no idea how much surgery it required.

I appreciate all the research you’ve done and the time you’ve taken putting this write up together, it’s one of the best ones I’ve seen on the subject.
I cut off the nubs on the valve cover and have ~3/8" to 1/2" of clearance now. You're correct though - even with the different mounts, sitting lower in the frame and with non-Eagle heads, you'll never be able to completely keep the AX in the factory location. I also feel like I have seen Hemi-swapped TJ's with AX15s but do not recall any of them mentioning major surgery. The AX-15 trans mount does sit back on the crossmember some. Perhaps they redrill or relocate the mount forward some and then bend the shifter to fit around the dash/console? With a slight shift in engine location + a non-tummy tuck + some shifter work, it may be possible...

If I run across any links/discussions, I'll send them to you and link them here for folks to refer to.

His plans changed and he is now building a LJ instead of the TJ that this swap was going into.

Here is the LJ build
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/pc1ps-2006-jeep-lj-build-brünhilde.48964/page-2#post-862266

And here is the TJ build that got stopped.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/pc1ps-1998-jeep-tj-build-ophelia.42820/
@Wildman saved me some time :)

The Hemi swap will resume once I get situated after the move this summer. I have been reading good things about some of the aftermarket controllers for the 8HP transmissions, so I may end up doing something with that instead.

Alternatively, Holley now offers a controller for the Eagle motors + 46RE transmissions, which is actually a better transmission (wow, never thought I'd be saying that about a 46RE!!!) for higher horsepower builds. Since everything rusts apart in PA, I may be on the prowl for a 98 5.9L ZJ in the junkyards and snatch up the trans from it (the Jeep RE's have the starter on the right-hand side).

Reactions: Wildman
Awesome Write-Up. I have a 2006 Magnum R/T with with a 5.7 HEMI I am thinking about swapping into my 1997 TJ. I was going from a 2.5 to a 2003 4.0 out of a Rubi that I rebuilt but the wiring harness and ecm are being a pain to get which blows me away.

I am curious about price and complications for the swap. The only issue with the R/T engine is I blew a head gasket. It still runs fine but I'm sure i'll have to at least hone the cyl's and of course make sure the heads didn't crack or warp. I of course have the ECM and all wiring in the car still. I'm wanting to bolt to my AX15 with NP231 Transfer Case.

Awesome Write-Up. I have a 2006 Magnum R/T with with a 5.7 HEMI I am thinking about swapping into my 1997 TJ. I was going from a 2.5 to a 2003 4.0 out of a Rubi that I rebuilt but the wiring harness and ecm are being a pain to get which blows me away.

I am curious about price and complications for the swap. The only issue with the R/T engine is I blew a head gasket. It still runs fine but I'm sure i'll have to at least hone the cyl's and of course make sure the heads didn't crack or warp. I of course have the ECM and all wiring in the car still. I'm wanting to bolt to my AX15 with NP231 Transfer Case.
I put a Hemi out of an '06 Dodge RAM into mine. Cost is driven a lot by what you do to the motor. Mine is stroked and bored to 392, with a complete forged Molnar rotating assembly, head work, and 100% new accessories. Along with a complete performance build of the 545RFE tranny. It was not cheap. A good guess for just swapping in an engine is probably 5-7 grand or so - plus the cost of the engine and trans.

I'm not sure about the accessory configuration on the Magnum, but on the truck they are stacked vertically - which makes it a bunch easier to swap into a TJ.

Here's mine:

Jeep - 5.7 Hemi 7-7-2017 1503.JPG

If you are interested in seeing the detail, check out my build thread over on JeepForum.com, starting on post #1070.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/nashville-tj-s-coilover-build-3838225/index107.html

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pc1p and Wildman
I put a Hemi out of an '06 Dodge RAM into mine. Cost is driven a lot by what you do to the motor. Mine is stroked and bored to 392, with a complete forged Molnar rotating assembly, head work, and 100% new accessories. Along with a complete performance build of the 545RFE tranny. It was not cheap. A good guess for just swapping in an engine is probably 5-7 grand or so - plus the cost of the engine and trans.

I'm not sure about the accessory configuration on the Magnum, but on the truck they are stacked vertically - which makes it a bunch easier to swap into a TJ.

Here's mine:

View attachment 269973
Looks great man. I have the engine already in my Magnum R/T and will just put it back stock for expense purposes and it had good HP/Torque stock to be more than enough in a TJ. I plan to use my AX15 with it for now if I go this route. I've already put a good 4k in the Jeep already so I better ease up a little.

Reactions: hardtailpan
Looks great man. I have the engine already in my Magnum R/T and will just put it back stock for expense purposes and it had good HP/Torque stock to be more than enough in a TJ. I plan to use my AX15 with it for now if I go this route. I've already put a good 4k in the Jeep already so I better ease up a little.
The AX15/NV3550 was the path I wanted to go down with my hemi swap. There are some questions as to whether or not this transmission will hold up behind the hemi, but it sure seemed like a hemi powered manual transmission TJ would be a ball to drive.

The AX15/NV3550 was the path I wanted to go down with my hemi swap. There are some questions as to whether or not this transmission will hold up behind the hemi, but it sure seemed like a hemi powered manual transmission TJ would be a ball to drive.

The AX15/NV3550 is rated for 300 HP per Novak if that helps any.

Reactions: hardtailpan
The AX15/NV3550 is rated for 300 HP per Novak if that helps any.
Hey Wildman, yeah, I remember reading this, probably from some of the awesome info you've pointed me to in the past. This rating makes it weak to put behind the hemi. My thinking is if you aren't thrashing the hell out of it it will be ok, but who knows, not enough of them have been created, at least that i know of, to give us any meaningful stats on viability.

I still say it'd be fun as hell to drive tho!

For those looking to put a manual transmission behind their swap getting the shifter to line up into the stock opening in the floorboard here is how some have fit this. They cut the shifter and welded a piece of flat stock to move the shifter handle back.

1628680400629.png

I hope this picture helps to explain how it's done.

Hey @pc1p I know you're busy remodeling the house...but we want this thread finished! LOl.
Working on it! Need to find me a motor and trans again…

(I do have access to a free 5.3L LS with 4L65E that I’m resisting to swap into something too!)

Working on it! Need to find me a motor and trans again…

(I do have access to a free 5.3L LS with 4L65E that I’m resisting to swap into something too!)

Hold out for a Hemi....

With the way cars/trucks rust out I'd think that you could find one.

@Wildman saved me some time :)

The Hemi swap will resume once I get situated after the move this summer. I have been reading good things about some of the aftermarket controllers for the 8HP transmissions, so I may end up doing something with that instead.

Alternatively, Holley now offers a controller for the Eagle motors + 46RE transmissions, which is actually a better transmission (wow, never thought I'd be saying that about a 46RE!!!) for higher horsepower builds. Since everything rusts apart in PA, I may be on the prowl for a 98 5.9L ZJ in the junkyards and snatch up the trans from it (the Jeep RE's have the starter on the right-hand side).

I can confirm a 2019 Ram 8HP70 will work in a TJ with a 6.1. I’m wrapping up the swap and have 50 or so miles on it. I’m using a harness from Hotwire and a trans controller from Russel, at Sound German.

I can confirm a 2019 Ram 8HP70 will work in a TJ with a 6.1. I’m wrapping up the swap and have 50 or so miles on it. I’m using a harness from Hotwire and a trans controller from Russel, at Sound German.

I just pulled out a 6.1 out of a Challenger working on swapping the pan to a rear sump oil pan and a Holley mid mount accessory drive. I'll be sending my fuse box/harness to Hotwire for the Hemi swap and 545RFE using '08 Ram ECM. If I were to use a 8HP70 tranny, does Hotwire need to build the wiring differently? I've got Holley motor mounts and transmission adapter for 545RFE. Do I need to fabricate a transmission mount adapter for 8HP70? Does it require a 1" body lift or can be done with no body lift? Thanks for any input...