General questions from newish owner

TheShakes90

I bought my 2006 LJ about a year ago and this summer I'm catching up on maintenance I should've done last summer but ran out of time.

1) I found a leak in my vacuum line for my HVAC system. I've gone through a few dozen threads trying to find where to buy a replacement, but most either don't have a spot to buy or are for 97-02. Any ideas before I hit the dealership?

2) I've got the 42rle and when it's colder it does 2 things that kind of concern me: 1) it more or less slams into 2nd from 1st and 2) OD doesn't usually engage. I've spoken to a buddy who has the same transmission and he says the same, just want additional input.

3) Measuring for Suspension. Not gonna lie I'll be doing more research on this while waiting, but figure I'll toss it in. The PO put on 33s and from what it looks like no suspension lift but possibly a body lift. This is my first Body on Frame, any way I can somewhat tell if and or how it's been lifted?

Measure your springs front and rear. I think stock is 12" front and 8" rear. Body lift just measure the thickness of the puck that is between the frame mount and body mount.

Reactions: Twopoint and indio
Here you can see my 1.25" body lift aluminum puck on top of the OEM rubber. This is the driver most rear puck by bumper. Take a pic of this with a tape measure next to it if you need some more clarification.

20190415_092200.jpg

Measure your springs front and rear. I think stock is 12" front and 8" rear. Body lift just measure the thickness of the puck that is between the frame mount and body mount.

My front TJ aftermarket spring measures around 14.5" maybe closer to 15". Based on your 12" stock measure, if I am measuring correctly, I guess that means the front is lifted around 2.5 or max 3 inches?

TJfrontSpring.jpg

The 42RLE is a quirky transmission.
The slamming you mention can be eliminated by letting it warm a few minutes.
I'd also drop the pan, replace filter and fluid.

I say this with slight sarcasm....wish my 42RLE failed to find OD.

I bought my 2006 LJ about a year ago and this summer I'm catching up on maintenance I should've done last summer but ran out of time.

1) I found a leak in my vacuum line for my HVAC system. I've gone through a few dozen threads trying to find where to buy a replacement, but most either don't have a spot to buy or are for 97-02. Any ideas before I hit the dealership?

2) I've got the 42rle and when it's colder it does 2 things that kind of concern me: 1) it more or less slams into 2nd from 1st and 2) OD doesn't usually engage. I've spoken to a buddy who has the same transmission and he says the same, just want additional input.

3) Measuring for Suspension. Not gonna lie I'll be doing more research on this while waiting, but figure I'll toss it in. The PO put on 33s and from what it looks like no suspension lift but possibly a body lift. This is my first Body on Frame, any way I can somewhat tell if and or how it's been lifted?

For question number 1, I believe this is what you're looking for:
https://www.morris4x4center.com/mopar-a-c-and-heater-vacuum-hose-and-valve-55037637ab-m.html
It's also available on Amazon, but appears to be cheaper at Morris4x4:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EIBPME0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
Thanks for the help everyone.

Looks like I need shocks, springs, and sway bar brackets for 2-2.5" of lift now

Figure I'll keep this one going instead of adding more threads.

I'm planning on starting to switch out my suspension components now that my doors are finally removable and the hinges are cleaned up. After some searching on here I realize that I went from "oh yeah I kinda understand springs and shocks" to "why is there a kinder gardener in a calculus class?"

Stuff I think I'm getting the hang of:
1) Spring Rates: Take the weight that is over the specific axle, divide that by the spring rate and you can find out roughly how much spring you lose

2) General: I thought my approximately 2.5" suspension plus 1" body lift was enough for the 33s that I currently have, I now know I have three option: 1) up the lift; 2) lower the tire size; 3) high lines and some small trimming on the rear

3) Track Bars: I need to choose based on the amount of lift I have so I can keep my axles centered

Things that I'm so lost on it seems like I'm looking for the hole to China:

1) Spring Rates: how do I roughly determine my sprung weight on the axles? I know I'll need a scale but how would I line up on it, I would rather this be explained to me so I can start doing what my A&P Instructors have taught me for weight and balance

2) Track Bars: when selecting do I use full amount of lift(currently 3.5") or do I not take in body lift, it seems to me that it should but I already said how my understanding has changed

3) Bump Stops: I'm not really worried quite yet since I barely have enough time to eat and sleep let alone find some off roading near Chicago, but I plan on moving west. I've read a couple of threads here there and everywhere on setting up bump stops, but is there somewhere I can watch it? I've become lost in the sauce a few times while reading them

Installed Rokmen arms a couple days ago and was going to attempt to adjust them correctly, but after reading Chris and TJDaves threads I realize that saying I'm a little confused is an understatement.

I understand for the lowers: remove springs, jack to full bump, and use the arms to center the pads on the axle with the bump stop. Pretty easy.

For the uppers I'm a little lost. My Transfer case appears to be angled down by 10* and I currently have my rear pinion angled up by 10* making a more or less straight line between the yokes(OEM driveshaft). For the front with the CV I have it so the pinion angle equals the driveshaft angle.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding all the instructions

Rock Auto is a great place to find parts. I would do a transmission filter change and fluid flush. Do a full flush on the fluid, don't just change what's in the pan. Look it up on You Tube if you don;t know how to do a flush on the transmission.

Question 1:)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...at+&+air+conditioning,heater+hose+/+pipe,6892
Question 2:)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...l6,1432231,transmission-automatic,filter,8600