General Recovery Gear Discussion

xxdabroxx

TJ Addict
I recently ordered a couple soft shackles and a recovery rope from TRE and I'm looking at reorganizing my recovery gear. I currently carry a receiver hitch shackle adapter in my gear bag but after reading a post by @mrblaine where he used a soft shackle and an Allen wrench in a hitch with a recovery rope I was thinking of replacing the whole receiver shackle with just a pin. It would get rid of bunch of weight and bulk from my kit.

1575567020653.png
1575567057012.png

If I did that it leaves me open to the idea of scrapping my recovery gear "bag" and just placing my gear within reach from the drivers seat. I have a really big 15' tree strap (I live in big tree country and figure it can double as a rope extension) that I think I can fit next to the drivers seat with a soft shackle wrapped around it along with my winch cable. I'm thinking I can stuff the recovery rope under the drivers seat along with another shackle but it may be hard to get to as I've got a fire extinguisher mounted in front of my seat a la @Jerry Bransford (I also dont know how much space the 20' 3/4" rope is going to take up as I haven't got it yet). Gloves I can stick in either the console or the pouch on my doors (I'm not too worried about them). Now that I'll have some soft shackles I can get rid of the hard ones and likely only keep the one on the front of the jeep that my winch hooks onto for cable storage (I still have steel cable). That would give me three shackles with recovery options front and rear, is there anything I'm missing or not thinking of?

1575567427262.png

After a trip to the snow yesterday I've decided I need to keep my airing down tools in the glove box or somewhere more accessible than the tool bag. It was a bit of a pain to get to being buried under snow boots towels, etc. while standing in the snow to air down.

I also really want to get my compressor mounted on the ABS tray and an air chuck stubbed out front so I don't have to mess with it. Not having the hood open to air up would be nice too. I had a couple people stop to check on me because they saw me with my hood up while airing back up.

Another Jeep is possibly the best recovery gear and sometimes the only way to get you and your rig out of the woods. One Jeep with good recovery gear can get you out of some sticky situations, but sometimes another Jeep is the only way to get out.

I use the Smittybilt seat covers for storing my three soft shackles, winch remotes, air down/up tools, patch kits etc, so everything is within easy reach from the front seats. Straps, blocks, and ropes go into a waterproof duffel bag. And emergency supplies and first aid kit go into the rollbar storage bag

Smittybilt GEAR Seat Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CF3N9M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Roll Bar Storage Bag Cage (one I have is no longer available)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRYJLYL/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: rdtbull