Genright rear sway bar

Powdermonkey

SAPPER
Supporting Member
Anyone have this sway bar? It is expensive and takes some fabricating to make it fit so there are more cost associated with it. But as I understand it, it can go infront or behind the rear axles. Not sure if one is better than the other? On top of that Genright claims you won’t need a front sway bar. I seen where blain said it is one of the last things to do to gain that last little bit. It sounded like Genright recommenced it when they calling about the outboarding parts.

I didn’t find anything in a search on this forum but I’m sure someone knows about it. And I always like to check on what is being recommend.

It's a torsion bar just like the Antirock, this one just allows you to put it in whatever location you want, which would only really benefit you if you were doing some sort of very custom fab build (i.e. a front and rear stretch). I wouldn't waste my money unless you have a reason for needing to relocate it.

I'd just go with the Currie Antirock.

Reactions: Powdermonkey
.... Not sure if one is better than the other? On top of that Genright claims you won’t need a front sway bar. ....

Where do they say that? If they are saying this, then GenRight doesn't understand the full value of front and rear sway bars.

As far as needing one, why isn't the factory rear working with your setup?

For placement in front of or behind the axle, you put it where it fits best with your setup.

Oh, my bad... is this a rear sway bar replacement or a front one?

Either way, this is far from a bolt-on affair. GenRight makes awesome stuff, but it's larger catered towards builders who are doing something very specific with their Jeep. This is by no means meant for a stock TJ / LJ frame with basic mods. If that's the case, the stock sway bar should be more than up to the task.

I could see this being on a build with full width axles, coilovers, 37s (or larger), stretched front and rear, etc.

Take a look at the last paragraph that I screen shot from their website.

I was just dicussing installing front and rear AR with the shop while they do the outboard. I’m so green I just throw shit against the wall to see what sticks. After dicussing it with them I try google and ask on here. I know it would be cheaper to do it while they’re in there already and to try to make sure things work together.

Glad you chimed in.
50B88691-2CE2-4D61-997A-5A58030EC08D.png

I think this is one of those things where you have to ask yourself why you need it?

My reason for wanting the mid-arm suspension for instance is that I actually really want my suspension geometry at 4" of suspension lift to be back where it should be (like when it was stock). I'm sure I could get by with short arms like everyone else, but I like knowing that my geometry is where it should be. In addition, I also like the flexibility that the 3-link front and 4-link rears offer. I've seen them move over rocks, and they definitely do it a lot better than the way the control arms are setup stock.

While I could throw something like this sway bar on, I'd have to ask myself why would I want to? I truthfully don't know what the solution is that it would solve, but my thought is that I wouldn't even discover that problem until I started stretching the TJ, adding full width axles, and requiring a sway bar that can mount wherever I want it to.

The difference between this and mid arms is that GR is going so far as to suggest something that can actually diminish performance.

As far as the value of an aftermarket rear, I already know first hand that the factory rear already supports 12" of shock travel. There must be other reasons to change the existing sway bar.

@Chris in the screen shot posted above it says on or off road.

Remember guys I’m just trying to learn something. I’m not trying to say one way or the other.

Remember guys I’m just trying to learn something. I’m not trying to say one way or the other.
Front and rear sway bars are of value both on and off road. Not running a tunable front (like the Antirock) along with a rear bar will decrease stability/balance and increase body roll.

Well yes, but the Currie Antirock can be used on or offroad as well, so can M/T tires ;)

Anyways, I'm not the one to answer this question anyhow, so I'll let someone more knowledgable with off-road builds and fabrication answer it!

Front and rear sway bars are of value both on and off road. Not running a tunable front (like the Antirock) along with a rear bar will decrease stability/balance and increase body roll.
Yeah I’m definitely not going for that! To be honest I probably would discount the front just to see how it handles if I went that route. But from what I’m gathering so far I won’t be adding it.