Gentex 341 (map, lights, HomeLink, compass, and temperature) rear view mirror wiring connections to TJ OEM harness

Question for folks with factory Gentex mirrors, were all factory 241's equipped with map lutes. Would love to have a 341 but don't really need Himelink and to cheap to pay $190 to 225 for one. Thanks
When I posted this thread I thought no map lights from the factory mirror, but that was wrong. The 221 does have map lights.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
2006 TJ X, 4.0, manual 6 spd,

Do any of you know where the mirror harness comes in under the dash ? Not the harness on top of the defroster, but the one it plugs into.

I have the factory sensor harness on the grill, and it looks like it goes into the main, which goes into the firewall. From that point I'm unable to find any male plug that would attach to the harness on the defroster top.

I hooked up a 221 using the (defroster top) harness that came with it, and add'l spliced wires. It works great, but I'd much rather have the factory plugs together.

Thanks

Ray

2006 TJ X, 4.0, manual 6 spd,

Do any of you know where the mirror harness comes in under the dash ? Not the harness on top of the defroster, but the one it plugs into.

I have the factory sensor harness on the grill, and it looks like it goes into the main, which goes into the firewall. From that point I'm unable to find any male plug that would attach to the harness on the defroster top.

I hooked up a 221 using the (defroster top) harness that came with it, and add'l spliced wires. It works great, but I'd much rather have the factory plugs together.

Thanks

Ray
Are you talking about the harness that goes up the A-Pillar to the mirror?

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that harness will need to be purchased (ebay?) as it will not be anywhere in your jeep if you did not have the mirror as a factory option.

Are you talking about the harness that goes up the A-Pillar to the mirror?

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that harness will need to be purchased (ebay?) as it will not be anywhere in your jeep if you did not have the mirror as a factory option.
No, I was referring to the under dash harness that it (A-pillar) harness plugs into. I have the pillar harness, but it came with the mirror.

Ray

Reactions: Xysos
Those who have installed a gentex mirror has any one installed on a older Tj that does not have plastic trim on A pillar and at head liner How did you hide the wires or can trim be added/ fit older TJ’s

Those who have installed a gentex mirror has any one installed on a older Tj that does not have plastic trim on A pillar and at head liner How did you hide the wires or can trim be added/ fit older TJ’s
I drilled a hole in the windshield frame down low on the right and fished it thru the hole in the frame for the soft/HT top clips. little bit of patience and a few words later.

I did a quick search for the 341, but had no luck. There was a harness, but no mirror. Is this a junkyard pull thing? The Homelink function is a worthwhile upgrade over the 177 or 221

I bought mine off of ebay and agree it is worth it just for homelink. When I researched this, I found most of the Gentex 453 mirrors would work too, they don't have map lights but are a newer style mirror.

The Gentex 341 mirror was offered in the Sebring (I believe 2003-2005) convertible. The GNTX 341 has the compass and temperature readings like the 221 that was offered in TJs from 2003 - 2006. Additionally, the 341 adds homelink and map lights. The Jeep mirror harness has all the wires to use the 341, and I think some penny pinchers saved a few and gave us the 221 mirror instead of the 341.

I bought a used GNTX 341 for $40, cut the plug off the factory harness, and soldered the wires to the 341 plug. The 341 uses smaller pins than the 221 mirror so you have to repin, butt splice or solder. I really like this swap, having homelink in the mirror is nice and the map lights (they come on when the doors are open and can be turned on) are good too.

Here are the connections to make the swap:

341 pins
1- red/white - Constant 12 volt
2 - no wire
3 - black - Ground
4 - yellow - Temp sensor
5 - purple/white - Temp Sensor
6 - red/blue - Switched 12 volt
7 - red/blue - 12 volt for backup
8 - green/orange - Map lights
9 - no wire
10 - no wire

221 pins
1 - blue/white - Switched 12 volt
2 - black/green - Ground
3 - purple/black - 12 volt for backup
4 - purple/green - Temp Sensor
5 - black/blue - Temp sensor
6 - yellow - Map lights
7 - pink/white - Constant 12 volt

Connections
341 221
1 - 7
3 - 2
4 - 5
5 - 4
6 - 1
7 - 3
8 - 6

View attachment 185157

View attachment 185158

View attachment 185159

View attachment 185160

View attachment 185161

View attachment 185162
Nice share, thanks. So with the Gentex 341, is Homelink built into the actual mirror itself? I know on some OE vehicle mirrors, I'm not sure if they use the 341 but a similar 3-button homelink mirror, they have a separate homelink module they install into the roof area above the headliner. Does the 341 not need this at all? Would be awesome to simply install a mirror, wire it up and be good to go. Hate carrying garage door openers.

I did a quick search for the 341, but had no luck. There was a harness, but no mirror. Is this a junkyard pull thing? The Homelink function is a worthwhile upgrade over the 177 or 221

I found the same a few weeks ago. I think I found one mirror but it was around or over $200. Seemed high for a part for a crappy 15 year old Chrysler.

I was also disappointed to find that my LJ lacks the harness under the defrost vent cover, so I'll either have to find one (discontinued, naturally) or make my own and splice directly into the factory harness wherever that connector is.

Reactions: zebra12 and Irun
Nice share, thanks. So with the Gentex 341, is Homelink built into the actual mirror itself? I know on some OE vehicle mirrors, I'm not sure if they use the 341 but a similar 3-button homelink mirror, they have a separate homelink module they install into the roof area above the headliner. Does the 341 not need this at all? Would be awesome to simply install a mirror, wire it up and be good to go. Hate carrying garage door openers.
Homelink is built into the mirror, just wire it up and you are good to go.

I bought mine off of ebay and agree it is worth it just for homelink. When I researched this, I found most of the Gentex 453 mirrors would work too, they don't have map lights but are a newer style mirror.

Hey there Zebra12-

I’m looking at installing a homelink mirror in my 99- no factory wiring so I’m starting from scratch. The Gentex 341 mirrors on eBay are over $200, but there are a ton of 453s for around $50.

What makes the 453 workable for this mod? (As opposed to other mirrors…) My biggest concern is getting a mirror that is too long to fit in between my visors. Any idea on the dimensions of the 453?