Get a dash camera

L

LTTJ

I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this, but @Chris can move it if he feels like it.

So we have had dash cameras in our vehicles for a while now, and what happened to me this morning is a perfect reason why they are useful.

So I pulled into a gas station to get a soda and then climbed back in my Jeep. I noticed a guy staring at me, but didn't really think anything of it. So I pull out of the parking lot and go on my way. So a few lights up the road (yes, apparently this dude followed me several blocks), I see the same guy in the vehicle next to me trying to get my attention and I look over and well... he is doing something very rude, lewd, and in this context illegal.

So the light turns green and I gtfo and call my husband. Turns out I have video of this person in the parking lot of the gas station and now I am waiting for the police to come take my report.

I have also provided video of accidents I've witnessed to insurance companies in the past and we got the cameras in the first place because my husband was hit and fraudulently sued several years ago.

Seriously, a camera is one of the best ways to protect yourself or help someone else out if they are not at fault for an accident.

Holy hell this has been a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this, but @Chris can move it if he feels like it.

So we have had dash cameras in our vehicles for a while now, and what happened to me this morning is a perfect reason why they are useful.

So I pulled into a gas station to get a soda and then climbed back in my Jeep. I noticed a guy staring at me, but didn't really think anything of it. So I pull out of the parking lot and go on my way. So a few lights up the road (yes, apparently this dude followed me several blocks), I see the same guy in the vehicle next to me trying to get my attention and I look over and well... he is doing something very rude, lewd, and in this context illegal.

So the light turns green and I gtfo and call my husband. Turns out I have video of this person in the parking lot of the gas station and now I am waiting for the police to come take my report.

I have also provided video of accidents I've witnessed to insurance companies in the past and we got the cameras in the first place because my husband was hit and fraudulently sued several years ago.

Seriously, a camera is one of the best ways to protect yourself or help someone else out if they are not at fault for an accident.

Wow, when it rains, it pours! Maybe offsetting Karma for Thesis presentation? Sorry, just teasing a little.

I'm seeing more and more dash cams when I head out into the city (rare). This is another couple of practical applications.

For me, you'd just see a LOT of this:
20160124_160914.jpg

Or this:
University Falls Road.jpg

Reactions: JP13
Well those are a lot more beautiful than the city!

Reactions: StG58
Oh, NO DOUBT about it! I got one less than a month ago and I've already got a decent amount of entertainment, illegal activities and crazy incidences collected.

Well those are a lot more beautiful than the city!

The city never worked out for me. I became agresive, stressed, gained weight, my blood presser was going through the roof and my attitude sucked. Daughters got out on their own and established, so I went back to my roots. Much better now.

The city never worked out for me. I became agresive, stressed, gained weight, my blood presser was going through the roof and my attitude sucked. Daughters got out on their own and established, so I went back to my roots. Much better now.

Yeah, we are in the city for graduate education. Once that is wrapped up for both of us, we are moving. That is one thing I miss about the military life- his postings were always in smallish towns. Or at least a more country feel.

Yeah, we are in the city for graduate education. Once that is wrapped up for both of us, we are moving. That is one thing I miss about the military life- his postings were always in smallish towns. Or at least a more country feel.

Hey, I just had a thought. Should we call you Dr. LTTJ now?

Military towns kind of have a unique feel to start with. Very small-townish. Kinda run down and just a bit shabby around the edges. But vibrant. Lots going on at all hours it seemed like.

What dash cam do you have?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about getting a dash cam for a long time, due to shit like this.

My questions are as follows?

How long does it record for? I assume it only records when you have keys in the ignition?

Once it's all out of recording memory, then what haopens? Do you have to erase it every day or back it up to your computer?

I have 4 of these and only three Vehicles.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHUQEWO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They use up to a 32 GB (Sold separately) card and will record on the card for about 8 hours driving/on time.
The the camera starts to over write the fist recording so its bascialy non stop.
Cig ligther plug that powers up when the vehicle starts.
I got a hard mirror mount for each instead of the suction cup mount it comes with. Also it can be swiveled to record when a cop pulls you over.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D1KF370/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I also run one of these Cameras
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBACUVJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The record time on each is variable from 1 minute to 15 minutes so it is easier to do the vid playback on the camera itself.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about getting a dash cam for a long time, due to shit like this.

My questions are as follows?

How long does it record for? I assume it only records when you have keys in the ignition?

Once it's all out of recording memory, then what haopens? Do you have to erase it every day or back it up to your computer?

So I have these cameras, one in front and one in back. I have never had a problem with them and they have stood up well to the heat here.

Garmin Dash Cam 20 Standalone Driving Recorder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFMN46S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The hubs has this camera, which I am less impressed by. It stopped beeping about a week after he got it so he needs to send it in to be replaced. This is perhaps more material to this model because it detects when traffic is moving in front of you at a light and beeps to let you know the light turned green if your face is in your phone.

Garmin Dash Cam 55 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG27N5L/?tag=wranglerorg-20

We specifically prefer Garmin because it records a lot of information into the video like time, gps location, speed traveling, etc. the video is excellent quality and the sound is really good too.

You can get different size storage cards for the cameras and mine is set to record until its full, then it writes back over the older files. If you think something needs to be saved, then you just push a button while it's happening and it will protect the file from being written over. It also has a gizmo inside that detects if the camera is jolted, like if you had an accident, and it beeps then automatically saves those files.

You can either plug the camera into the cigarette lighter or have them wired at a car stereo place. Mine turn on when I start the Jeep and turn off about a minute after I turn my Jeep off.

I think I'll do a write up on my build thread of the cameras I have and I'll post some footage from mine. They are really dang useful.

So I have these cameras, one in front and one in back. I have never had a problem with them and they have stood up well to the heat here.

Garmin Dash Cam 20 Standalone Driving Recorder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFMN46S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The hubs has this camera, which I am less impressed by. It stopped beeping about a week after he got it so he needs to send it in to be replaced. This is perhaps more material to this model because it detects when traffic is moving in front of you at a light and beeps to let you know the light turned green if your face is in your phone.

Garmin Dash Cam 55 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG27N5L/?tag=wranglerorg-20

We specifically prefer Garmin because it records a lot of information into the video like time, gps location, speed traveling, etc. the video is excellent quality and the sound is really good too.

You can get different size storage cards for the cameras and mine is set to record until its full, then it writes back over the older files. If you think something needs to be saved, then you just push a button while it's happening and it will protect the file from being written over. It also has a gizmo inside that detects if the camera is jolted, like if you had an accident, and it beeps then automatically saves those files.

You can either plug the camera into the cigarette lighter or have them wired at a car stereo place. Mine turn on when I start the Jeep and turn off about a minute after I turn my Jeep off.

I think I'll do a write up on my build thread of the cameras I have and I'll post some footage from mine. They are really dang useful.

Can you turn off that gizmo that detects jolts for off roading use?

Ive got this cam:
AUKEY Dash Cam, Dashboard Camera Recorder with Full HD 1080P, 170° Wide Angle Lens, 2“ LCD and Night Vision https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M592J9C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Records 10 min clips back to back @1080p. It auto starts as soon as power flows to the lighter port. Clips are seemless, in case you're wondering.

You'll need to buy a mini disc like this one:

SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring Card with Adapter 32GB (SDSDQQ-032G-G46A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5Q1K3O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thus far, a whole week of driving to work and back (2 hours round trip) plus weekend errands, and it saves an entire week. At some point, yes, it'll go back and erase what it recorded as it fills up. But I bought one of these:

Saicoo USB3.0 Card Reader 4 Slots 11 in 1 with dual SD and Micro SD slots https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMKS2DI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

....so that I can view it on my desktop and save what I need. Easily scrobble through the clips and save what you choose. Wish I could upload a clip to show you the quality, but they're about 250 to 300megs each.

I luv it!

Reactions: JP13 and Chris
Okay, wow, it sound like I'm going to need to really start thinking about a dash cam then. This would be a great feature to have, because hey... You never know what's going to happen. Can't deny it when it's on video either.

Reactions: fourpointzero