Getting a dog in a TJ

Thanks guys

Is everyone having their dogs jump in the back or in the front seat and climbing into the back?

I have a 70 lb border/St Bernard mix. Frankie is 14 yrs old and tires out pretty easily. I taught him to run up and jump into the back of the Jeep. He's usually good with doing that till late in the day after jeepin and playing all day. Then I have to pick him up.

2018-01-07_09-54-18.jpg

Been thinking about a solution for this myself. I have a Golden Retriever, but he is stupid about jumping. Even my lower vehicles I have to lift him into. He can certainly jump, when he's tearing around the yard, just not when he looks at something and has to think about it.

Was thinking of getting some 2X4s and plywood and building a ramp for him.

Removing the backseat helps. My dane was not liking laying down in the back when I first got the Jeep last year, I had to force him in there a few times. Then one day while I was cleaning the interior he decided to just hope right in on his own lol. I added a large dog bed and a blanket so he doesn't have to lay on the seat rails. He seems to enjoy it now

20200606_131724.jpg
FB_IMG_1591532463505.jpg

My last pup was a lab/border collie mix at 70 lbs. When she got older she couldn't hop in any more so I built a ramp with furring strips for traction. She always felt bad when I had to pull it out for her, but would do her best to climb in. I would put my arm around her butt and help her. My new pup is a lab/pitty mix that absolutely LOVES a car ride. Any car ride. She can jump right in thru the driver side door. If I'm loading anything in the back she climbs in first chance. If your dog wants to go with you then it would make every effort to do so. Offer it to hop in your Jeep. If it declines then put it in the house and go for a 5 minute spin, then come back and offer it a ride again. If it still doesn't want to jump in then let it stay home for a hour or so. If it still doesn't want to go with you then just leave it home for the day. The dog should want to go wherever you go. If it is a mobility issue then build a small ramp or perhaps a milk crate for it to use.

I have my St Bernard (170#) put his front legs up then I lift his back for him.

Shepard should have no problem jumping up. Mine gets so excited she will jump over the half doors before I can open it lol. She prefers getting in the passenger or rear.

Reactions: John Cooper
I've seen quite a few people use cargo nets to help prevent a dog from exiting the vehicle. You could also get a net for the B-pillar to fully close it off.
J0046110.jpg
unnamed.jpg

aspen13_grande.jpg

(Photos are ripped from Google)

Reactions: John Cooper
I had to let my red heeler sit in my jeep for 2 weeks without it on and without it moving before she would load up in iy while running and moving.
A heeler is amazing , ask@Hog about Buddy and Roscoe ...once they get the idea they will get it done.

I've seen ramps that go up to the tailgate.

Reactions: Babygools99
A heeler is amazing , ask@Hog about Buddy and Roscoe ...once they get the idea they will get it done.

I've seen ramps that go up to the tailgate.
Yeah, heelers are my favorite brees by far. I got her 4 years ago from the shelter, story was someone dumped her out of a car at a gas station, so i can only imagine thats why she didn't like the idea of getting in the jeep. The first 6 months she forced her way onto my lap while driving, and then i got a cargo net because the bigger she got, the harder it was to shift gears, 6 more months after that she finally got the idea and she sprawls out in the backseat every trip now.

cheater bar. Of all the cargo netting (which is what I thought I needed) I was turned on to using a harness type collar and attaching it to the seatbelt locking mechanism. The strap is found on Amazon as is the harness. Loosen the strap while you are with the pup and then shorten the strap so it can't jump out of the Jeep. It helps that my pup is in the passenger seat always. Even if there is a person there too.😁

My GSD never had an issue getting into a car. She is 80lbs. She jumps into passenger seat. Then goes between the front seats to get in back. Any GSD should be perfectly able to jump up into the front seats. Use a treat. Maybe even practice before starting the jeep.

I highly recommend a tethered short leash when in back. Especially with the top off. Top middle roll bar is good. Has to be centrally located. I had a dog get just enough slack that he jumped out but didnt have enough leash to get to ground. And hung himself for a moment. Until i could stop and lift him back in. I used to have chest harnesses for all my dogs to ride like this.

No matter how calm. You cant bet on a dog staying put. A short tie down will keep him in place.

I pull my TJ out to the street up to the curb, and my dog jumps right into the passenger seat and then climbs into the back. He is a 60lb Labradoodle. The curb gives him just enough extra height so he can get in. He doesn't jump out when the windows are out or the top is down.

https://twistep.com/ but you will need a hitch on the back to be able to use it.

I use one on the back of my '03 Expedition. Just don't want the dog jumping down from that high up if he doesn't have to. Used it once on the TJ earlier this year. Can't recall if I had any clearance issues when swinging it back underneath. I do have concern about the rear tube bumper and our 60 lb buddy getting a leg caught in it. But that could be fixed with welding a plate on the top if doggy in the jeepy becomes a regular thing. 400 lb weight limit and makes a good sitting spot with the tailgate open.

We got our first Jeep trip. He put his front paws in the seat and let me help his back in. Bounced right out on his own.

A6250712-1B99-4FA5-B1B7-DCC5EC1EB428.jpeg

Reactions: KevinC74
I have a 70 lb border/St Bernard mix. Frankie is 14 yrs old and tires out pretty easily. I taught him to run up and jump into the back of the Jeep. He's usually good with doing that till late in the day after jeepin and playing all day. Then I have to pick him up.

View attachment 169367

I know I’m late to the party, but this pic of your dog with the spider man just cracked me up lol cute dog!

Our old lab would put her front paws on the tub after I moved the seat fwd and then I'd lift her back end up and she would clamber to the back seat from there. She would just jump out on her own.