Getting a dog in a TJ

IMG_2337.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

IMG_2338.jpeg

@Bratch A pup update would be great!

-Mac

He’s doing good, well at least as good as a big, cranky, GSD can be.

After that first trip he started jumping up into the passenger seat and then climbing into the back seat on his own.

He’s has entered adult stage and put on about 25# to weigh in right at 100# these days. As he approaches 6 I have noticed him being slightly more hesitant to jump up in the cab. On a side note a friend with a 12 y/o Malinois said she can no longer jump in and out of her JK.

He loves his Jeep rides (he loves all rides).

Last edited:
Reactions: macleanflood
I know I’m late to the party, but this pic of your dog with the spider man just cracked me up lol cute dog!

I'll be even later. I have the SpiderWebShade top and sides and they did a great job keeping the dogs in and out of the direct sun while going for rides.
We load them by folding the passenger seat forward and letting them get their front feet into the tub, then we just grab them by the butt and help them up.
1698067627888.png

Pro tip: if you forget to bring a water bowl, just use a side window.
1698067671121.png

And when conditions are just right, let them fly!

Anyone have two dogs that they’ve managed to put in the back with some kind of seatbelt? I’m considering a cargo netting but also if I restrain my two with harness and seat belt clip as the clips are so close together I find the dogs get tangled so I am not using them. Is there another place to attach a seatbelt clip to?

Anyone have two dogs that they’ve managed to put in the back with some kind of seatbelt? I’m considering a cargo netting but also if I restrain my two with harness and seat belt clip as the clips are so close together I find the dogs get tangled so I am not using them. Is there another place to attach a seatbelt clip to?

The rollbars. Use a harness on the dogs themselves. Then a short leash or just tie it shorter to either side of the rollbar. I would still consider a net between the rollbars if your seriously offroading.

You could also run a cable from one side of the tub to the other. With loops where you want the harnesses to attach. Like the ones you make yourself with crimpers.

Aliexpress has oremade cables like that for different purposes. You could also attach cables to various olaces on the bottom of the tub. Seatbelt attachment points. Or drill and grommet your own fasteners anyplace you want.

The rollbars. Use a harness on the dogs themselves. Then a short leash or just tie it shorter to either side of the rollbar. I would still consider a net between the rollbars if your seriously offroading.

You could also run a cable from one side of the tub to the other. With loops where you want the harnesses to attach. Like the ones you make yourself with crimpers.

Aliexpress has oremade cables like that for different purposes. You could also attach cables to various olaces on the bottom of the tub. Seatbelt attachment points. Or drill and grommet your own fasteners anyplace you want.

I have a stout rope with a short loop in the center tied between the b pillar rollbars. Carabiner clips to a harness on the pooch. It lets him barely get his nose to the edge of the tub

I have a stout rope with a short loop in the center tied between the b pillar rollbars. Carabiner clips to a harness on the pooch. It lets him barely get his nose to the edge of the tub

If I had two dogs I would attach them both to a center loop like above. As the real problem is a roll over. That way both dogs are attached to the center most spot in the back.

But even then the chances of them getting a leg pinched between rollbar and ground are still possible. I guess if you added a strap type rollbar net that might mitigate that.

Keep the harness connection as close to the bottom center of rear - as close to bottom - as you can. I had a dog jump out and basically hang himself with a collar and tightly tied leash to the center bottom of my Suzuki Samurai once. But it was obviously tied to long .

Luckily it was on a slow moving logging road. I jumped out ummediately and threw him back in. But then shortened how I had the leash tied.

He was a crazy Bull Terrier with absolutely no fear.

Basically you're restrauning them to as close to center bottom as possible. It's more about safety than comfort. Even if all they can do is lay down. Thats better than any possibility of them falling out or yaving a leg mangled.

If I had two dogs I would attach them both to a center loop like above. As the real problem is a roll over. That way both dogs are attached to the center most spot in the back.

But even then the chances of them getting a leg pinched between rollbar and ground are still possible. I guess if you added a strap type rollbar net that might mitigate that.

Keep the harness connection as close to the bottom center of rear - as close to bottom - as you can. I had a dog jump out and basically hang himself with a collar and tightly tied leash to the center bottom of my Suzuki Samurai once. But it was obviously tied to long .

Luckily it was on a slow moving logging road. I jumped out ummediately and threw him back in. But then shortened how I had the leash tied.

He was a crazy Bull Terrier with absolutely no fear.

Basically you're restrauning them to as close to center bottom as possible. It's more about safety than comfort. Even if all they can do is lay down. Thats better than any possibility of them falling out or yaving a leg mangled.

This is the idea with my setup. Keep him from jumping out after a squirrel or something and getting sucked under that exposed rear tire.

Reactions: mudmaster