Getting a OME lift for my TJ

Dahbarez

I'm about to buy a Old man emu heavy load lift for my TJ just had a few questions the first is should I buy the kit or piece it together and get Rancho RS5000x shocks to save me about 200 bucks as I'm a little strapped for cash. The second question is do I need to buy anything else that isn't in the kit like adjustable track bars or anything else. Last question would be what body lift to add to the emu lift.

I had to buy an adjustable track bar for the front. I wouldn't add a body lift, but that is just me. I am running 33's with the HD lift that you are looking at. If I were to do it over again, I wouldn't get the HD springs, but if you are going to have a heavy rig, you might want them.

Get the Rancho. Adj track bar can wait. Forever if having the axle a fraction of an inch to one side. But pay attention to all the control bushings and steering joints to be sure they are up to snuff.👍

Reactions: Alex01
I'm pulling the trigger on an OME lift soon and I've been bouncing back and forth between the OME shocks and Rancho RS5000x shocks. Most everyone who speaks on this question here is in favor of the Ranchos, but I haven't heard much from people who have run the newer Nitrocharger Sport shocks (most seem to have used the older regular Nitrochargers).

Dirk from DPG offroad (https://dpgoffroad.com), however, vehemently disagrees about Ranchos. He's spoke about this on the beginner's lift thread (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/) and he'll go on a good long rant about the subject if you talk to him and mention Ranchos.

Personally, I'm considering just pulling the trigger on OME with the Nitrochargers since I think they have a better boot on them to keep out dirt. The one on Ranchos doesn't seem to be effective and I've even heard some people here say that it's likely to trap in dirt and moisture. I drive my TJ during the winter up here, so I really don't want to have issues with salt on my shocks since it causes enough problems everywhere else.

As for the track bar, everything I've researched seems to show that it's a good idea. If nothing else, you may at least want to be able to get one if you encounter issues after installing the lift.

Most everyone who speaks on this question here is in favor of the Ranchos, but I haven't heard much from people who have run the newer Nitrocharger Sport shocks (most seem to have used the older regular Nitrochargers).
I have run the newer OME nitrocharger sport shocks and the Rancho's. The OMEs are a bit harsher than the ranchos on the road and turns but acceptable. The OME shocks are complete garbage on washboard roads compared to the ranchos.

Save the money and go with the ranchos.

OME shocks here also. I find them to be comparable to the Rancho RS5000X, which they replaced. Simply because they came in the kit. If doing this over, I would have ordered the OME springs and kept the Ranchos to save $$. I got a rear adj. track bar 'cause I'm a bit OCD. Bump stop spacers for sure.

Reactions: skrelnik
OME shocks as well, from Dirk. When I ordered my kit there was limited information available about the Rancho shocks, other than this forum. I didn't want to risk getting poor quality shocks so I went with the OMEs. I am glad I did because at the time there was no info about how the Rancho shocks rust, so mine would have been ruined after one winter and I would have ended up buying new shocks.

Now that more info is available, I still would have ordered the OMEs, but if I lived in Arizona that would be a different story, and I would go with the Rancho shocks.

You pay for what you get and my assumption is that the OMEs are made from better materials that are more corrosion resistant than Ranchos 5000x. I don't want to deal with premature failures if the snow/rust damages the shock, and moreso since Ranchos warranty does not cover rust.

Not sure what size tires you plan to run but the basic 2” OME is good up to 31’s without a body lift. You want to run 32’s then you’ll want to add the optional OME 1/2” coil spring spacers to give you about 2.5-3” of suspension lift. 33’s a 1” body lift will be required in addition to the 1/2” coil spacers. The OME lift comes with a rear track bar relocation bracket which will center your rear axel for the most part. I would recommend you add an adjustable front track bar to get your front axel centered. I have the HD springs on my kit. As others have mentioned they can be a bit stiff if your Jeep is on the light side. Have a winch, HD bumpers and some trail armor then you’ll be okay. The newer OME shocks are valved differently than the older versions. It’s nothing too radical but it is slightly stiffer and not the plush ride of the old Nitro Chargers. They are still an excellent shocks both in build quality and ride performance. This is my 3rd OME kit so obviously I am a fan of ARB products. You may or may not need to add a T-case lowering kit after doing this lift to eliminate driveline vibration. 3” of lift is the point where this problem will start to rear its ugly head.

My TJ with 2.5” OME lift, 1” body lift and 33’s

92F73EB2-2683-4A12-A374-990FAC48A6BB.jpeg

Take it from someone who has gone this route before... piece it together.

Get the OME springs, but Rancho RS5000X shocks. The OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks are a bit too rough of a ride for my taste. I can guarantee you'll like the Ranchos better.

I’m in the process of piecing mine together as well, and while I’m not 100% through it yet (hopefully installing this weekend) - here’s what I bought and think it’s a good setup (with likely follow ups):

* ARB 2942 rear HD springs (2”) - $83 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P9IIO2/?tag=wranglerorg-20
* ARB 2933 front HD springs (2”) - $174 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P9PLQK/?tag=wranglerorg-20
* Rancho corners RX5000x - $208 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01963N4ZY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
* JKS rear trackbar relocation bracket - $60
* Choose a spacer kit (you’ll likely need 1.5”-2” for the rear from what I’ve seen).

So far all in I’m pretty far under the price of a kit with a commonly recommended setup and budget to spend into anything unexpected.

Longer term I’ll throw in the adjustable track bars and control arms. But with a smaller lift I want to see what I need verses guessing, as every Jeep is different.

I’m in the process of piecing mine together as well, and while I’m not 100% through it yet (hopefully installing this weekend) - here’s what I bought and think it’s a good setup (with likely follow ups):

* ARB 2942 rear HD springs (2”) - $83 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P9IIO2/?tag=wranglerorg-20
* ARB 2933 front HD springs (2”) - $174 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P9PLQK/?tag=wranglerorg-20
* Rancho corners RX5000x - $208 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01963N4ZY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
* JKS rear trackbar relocation bracket - $60
* Choose a spacer kit (you’ll likely need 1.5”-2” for the rear from what I’ve seen).

So far all in I’m pretty far under the price of a kit with a commonly recommended setup and budget to spend into anything unexpected.

Longer term I’ll throw in the adjustable track bars and control arms. But with a smaller lift I want to see what I need verses guessing, as every Jeep is different.

Do you need adjustable anti-swaybar end links, front and rear?

I'm about to buy a Old man emu heavy load lift for my TJ just had a few questions the first is should I buy the kit or piece it together and get Rancho RS5000x shocks to save me about 200 bucks as I'm a little strapped for cash. The second question is do I need to buy anything else that isn't in the kit like adjustable track bars or anything else. Last question would be what body lift to add to the emu lift.

Any link to the Kit in question?

With only a 2-2.5” suspension lift no adjustable/disconnectable sway bar links are immediately required but they are recommended for the front. If you go off-road any amount and flex your suspension you’ll eventually break a stock front link. Get some SKS or similar quick disconnect links for the front. The backs you can leave.

Reactions: rasband
I think the number one problem on forums is guys that offer their opinion but have never run more than one option. Or not run the two options in question. Specifically the OME shocks and Rancho's. Or at least don't mention it in their responses. I trust guys that have run both. Single option opinions are hard to trust. As they compare nothing between the two.

If you haven't run both you don't really have a true comparison opinion. Only the opinion of someone that has only run one of the options. Which is like saying your first and only car is the best car you've ever driven.

I can tell you from watching this forum and reading in depth reviews by high post count guys that have used both. And really know what they are talking about. That the Rancho's are superior in ride quality - both on and off road - to the OME shocks.

And I seriously doubt the lessor ride quality is worth any extra time you might get out of OME's because they're made out of different materials. If you want to rattle your molars out (exaggerating) for the next 8 years while your OME shocks outlive the Ranchos by a year or two. Go for it. Not that there's any definitive info to prove that either will outlive the other.

I run the Ranchos. But have never run the OME's. As my research here proved the Rancho's to be superior in ride quality. In an overwhelming number of reviews. So I bought the Rancho's.

Having said that. (That I'm not posting a true comparison opinion here.) The Rancho's blew me away over the crappy stock or whatever shocks that were on my Jeep when I bought it. Turned a barely drivable tuna boat. Into an almost refined driving experience.

I think the sweet spot is Rancho's and the OME springs. But like I stated - I've never run the OME shocks. But dozens of other guys have on here. And have been sorely disappointed with the ride quality of the OME's compared to the Rancho's.

Do your research. Do your due diligence. And read thru the many posts on this forum. From guys that build Jeeps for a living. And guys that have built "many" on their own. And you'll come to a better understanding of what's out there. And the effects it will have on your ride. Shocks and tire pressure are by far the two biggest indicators of ride quality. And Rancho's are by far giving the best ride. I rarely if ever have come across a review or opinion that said the OME's rode better than the Rancho's. It's overwhelmingly in favor of the Ranchos. In fact, I don't recall a single review that compared the two and the choice wasn't the Rancho.

Which sucks really. Because I have the utmost respect for OME products. And can't wait to get a 2" lift from them and installed. How they could change their once great ride quality shocks into something harsher than the Rancho's is beyond me. They must test the hell out of them before production. And shocks are such an important (if not the most important) aspect of ride quality. You'd think they would have come out with at least two types. One that is stiff like they are selling and one that could compete with the Rancho's.

My only wish is that I'd painted them before installation. The red boot looks ridiculous behind my wheels and tires. lol!