Getting pulled over by a cop with a gun in your car

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I have a concealed weapons permit, but here is my question:

When we go on trips, I regularly drive with my AR-10 rifle in it's case, in the trunk, not loaded at all (I've got magazines loaded with rounds, but they aren't actually in the rifle when I travel).

Although I've never been pulled over by a cop, I am curious. If I was to get pulled over, am I supposed to tell the cop that I have an unloaded rifle in the trunk?

Now I know for certain if I had a concealed weapon in my glove box (or within arms reach) I would definitely tell a cop. I'm just not sure if it's good practice to tell him when the rifle is in a case, unloaded, in the trunk, or not?

Instinctively I would tell the cop just because I'm an honest and upfront person, who is certainly not looking for trouble. However, I'm just curious as to what you guys do.

I would tell them. Why not? I'm sure he/she would appreciate the honesty.
Why tell them? Unless you are required by law, there is no benefit to telling them. They may be cool or they may take it as a reason to search, detain, or ??? Would you tell them you just had a couple cocktails while at dinner?

Reactions: Chris
I'm not required by law to tip the waiter either.
It's just simple consideration for another person trying to do their job.

Why try to hide it?

Reactions: Frank
Legal here to pack concealed without a permit. If pulled by law you must tell them you are concealed or basically are incontact with a firearm. If it is in the trunk you do not have to say anything.

I'm not required by law to tip the waiter either.
It's just simple consideration for another person trying to do their job.

Why try to hide it?

There is a difference between trying to hide it and simply not declaring it. Again, would you voluntarily tell an officer you had been drinking? Or that you have a pocket knife? Again, some may appreciate the fact that you told them. Others many not care at all. Some may use that as an opportunity that you have a gun to detain you for whatever reason.

Everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with. Being from CA surely has formed my opinions regarding guns in different ways than those from "free states." Even so, unless required to do so, I ain't saying nothing bout nothing. :D

Last edited:
I wouldn't have to tell an officer I'd been drinking. He'd already have a reasonable suspicion, and driving drunk is a criminal offense.
So your question as to whether I would admit to drinking or not does not apply to DUI in the same manner as carrying a legal firearm.

Officers cannot detain or search you solely for having a legal weapon, whether it's in the trunk, glove box or even in plain view.

By advising him or her that you have a weapon in the vehicle, you are demonstrating that you are cooperative, legal and have nothing to hide from the outset.
You are also demonstrating that you respect his/her personal safety.

I wouldn't have to tell an officer I'd been drinking. He'd already have a reasonable suspicion, and driving drunk is a criminal offense.
So your question as to whether I would admit to drinking or not does not apply to DUI in the same manner as carrying a legal firearm.

Officers cannot detain or search you solely for having a legal weapon, whether it's in the trunk, glove box or even in plain view.

By advising him or her that you have a weapon in the vehicle, you are demonstrating that you are cooperative, legal and have nothing to hide from the outset.
You are also demonstrating that you respect his/her personal safety.

He wouldn't necessarily have a suspicion if you were simply stopped for a burned out tail light. Regardless, a cop can detain you for any reason. Again, I am in CA and they can detain you to do a weapons check. There have been several documented cases of long detainment's for legal weapons. It is also illegal to transport in a glove box or plain view. They must be in a locked container; glove box, center console, etc, do not suffice. Again, this is Commiefornia, YMMV.

Reactions: Umbra and Chris
What's up with the California "button ban" in hearing all about?!

What's up with the California "button ban" in hearing all about?!
Well, to conform with the laws on AR rifles, a guy came up with the "bullet button." It takes the place of the mag release and requires a tool, like a bullet tip, to release the mag. This conformed with the law which states that any rifle with a detachable mag cannot have a pistol grip, flash hider, forward grip, collapsible stock, and a few other features. The BB made the mag not detachable since the DOJ says it needed a tool to remove it.
Starting Jan 1, the BB'd rifles are now classified as assault weapons and will need to be registered as such. Like Commiefornia did back in 1989. Heavy restrictions on transport, no transferring to anyone within state family included, no one under 18 can shoot it, and some other bullshit. You can avoid registration if you remove all the previous mentioned features.

Well, to conform with the laws on AR rifles, a guy came up with the "bullet button." It takes the place of the mag release and requires a tool, like a bullet tip, to release the mag. This conformed with the law which states that any rifle with a detachable mag cannot have a pistol grip, flash hider, forward grip, collapsible stock, and a few other features. The BB made the mag not detachable since the DOJ says it needed a tool to remove it.
Starting Jan 1, the BB'd rifles are now classified as assault weapons and will need to be registered as such. Like Commiefornia did back in 1989. Heavy restrictions on transport, no transferring to anyone within state family included, no one under 18 can shoot it, and some other bullshit. You can avoid registration if you remove all the previous mentioned features.

Jesus Christ man... those fucking whack job California law makers are really trying to make life miserable for gun owners.

Jesus Christ man... those fucking whack job California law makers are really trying to make life miserable for gun owners.
Yep. Everyone worries about confiscation but it is just not realistic and they know it. But what they can do is make it so difficult, confusing, and scary, that people simply get rid of, or not buy, those types of rifles.

He wouldn't necessarily have a suspicion if you were simply stopped for a burned out tail light. Regardless, a cop can detain you for any reason. Again, I am in CA and they can detain you to do a weapons check. There have been several documented cases of long detainment's for legal weapons. It is also illegal to transport in a glove box or plain view. They must be in a locked container; glove box, center console, etc, do not suffice. Again, this is Commiefornia, YMMV.

Ever get a whiff of a drunk in a car? He'd have reasonable suspicion. Again, admitting to a criminal offense is not the same as advising of having a legal firearm.

A cop can't detain you for "any reason". 4th amendment- Search and Seizure
If they detain you for an unreasonable amount of time simply for having a legal firearm, call a lawyer. You will win a tidy sum, especially in the 9th US Circuit (West coast)

Chris asked if we would inform the officer about a legal firearm.
I said yes.
You asked why and I explained.

But, I'm in KY and every other pick up has a rifle or shotgun in a gun rack in the back window.

Reactions: Frank
Legal here to pack concealed without a permit. If pulled by law you must tell them you are concealed or basically are incontact with a firearm. If it is in the trunk you do not have to say anything.

Kinda thought it was a law that you HAD to carry a rifle up yonder. :camper: :biggrin:

( I met a trooper who told me that he once had a prisoner that would have been eaten if the trooper hadn't had his rifle with him :emoji_bear:)

Last edited:
Ever get a whiff of a drunk in a car? He'd have reasonable suspicion. Again, admitting to a criminal offense is not the same as advising of having a legal firearm.

A cop can't detain you for "any reason". 4th amendment- Search and Seizure
If they detain you for an unreasonable amount of time simply for having a legal firearm, call a lawyer. You will win a tidy sum, especially in the 9th US Circuit (West coast)

Chris asked if we would inform the officer about a legal firearm.
I said yes.
You asked why and I explained.

But, I'm in KY and every other pick up has a rifle or shotgun in a gun rack in the back window.

Used to do that here too, a looooooong time ago:frown:

Reactions: Umbra
I probably wouldn't say anything about the rifle, unless the officer asks "are there any weapons or anything that may hurt me in this vehicle?"

Ignorance is bliss; sometimes it makes the whole ordeal simpler with the less you say.

Reactions: billiebob