Getting pulled over by a cop with a gun in your car

I think after reading all that I've read online, I have no reason to say anything to an officer if it's in the trunk, in a case, unloaded. They can see I have a concealed weapons permit when they run my ID, and if he asks me if I have a weapon in the car, I'll gladly tell him that there is one in the trunk. I never carry anything on me while I'm driving, or in the glovebox, so it's all well out of reach.

I could see instances when you run into the wrong cop in the wrong town (i.e. a rich yuppy town like Lake Oswego or West Linn, Oregon) where they would go bonkers just knowing you had a rifle in the trunk and probably want to detain you for an hour or two, only because it's probably the most exciting thing they get in their neck of the woods short of a teenage girl attempting suicide for attention because her Mom didn't buy her the Juicy Couture outfit she wanted.

Reactions: Kyle_W
Nah, I wouldn't tell about anything in my trunk. I don't consider it any of their business anyway. I find police tend to ask a lot of questions and are quite nosey. I know it's their job but I have other things to do. I'll tell them that I have a cpl, which they already know, and tell them where I'm carrying that firearm but that's it. I prefer to get it over asap and get on my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Nah, I wouldn't tell about anything in my trunk. I don't consider it any of their business anyway. I find police tend to ask a lot of questions and are quite nosey. I know it's their job but I have other things to do. I'll tell them that I have a cpl, which they already know, and tell them where I'm carrying that firearm but that's it. I prefer to get it over asap and get on my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember, police officers are killed all the time by people who pull guns on them during traffic stops. We'd all ask a bunch of questions too if we were in their shoes.

Just remember, police officers are killed all the time by people who pull guns on them during traffic stops. We'd all ask a bunch of questions too if we were in their shoes.
I haven't forgotten :). But giving them reasons to ask even more questions isn't on my list of things to do either. I prefer more privacy and less big brother.

Reactions: JP13 and Chris
I always, kill the ignition, keys on the dash,both hands on the wheel, with the reggy,DL,ins, and concealed weapons permit. Most of the time, they never ask if there is a weapon onboard, or where it is. Then again, there is always one in every crowd that doesn't appreciate the honesty and will bust your chops and try and make a federal case out of it.

Any time I'm pulled over, I'm very nervous yet calm. There are far too many easily frightened cops cowering behind their trigger happy fingers these days. I read story after story after story of harmless people being shot by police. A lethal option should not be the first choice when dealing with the public.

Reactions: Chris and derekmac
Here's a perfect example of a thread that is political because guns have been politicized. So when we talk about getting pulled over in our Jeep by a cop and we have a CCL, we are in a catch 22. I personally think its unavoidable. Nor does it bother me. Chris probably doesn't want to have to police every comment! On thread topic, I have my CCL too, and just hand them the license. In TX they don't ask many questions.

Reactions: Chris and JP13
If they supposedly already have the info that you are licensed to carry when they pull you over, and unless you were doing something pretty stupid or aggressive to get pulled over in the 1st place, and especially if you aint buzzed or cocked. I probably wouldn't mention the cache of stolen AK's and AR's with the serial numbers ground off in the trunk, and I definately would shut up about the drop in auto sears that are in the glove box. Otherwise, i think anybody would be good to go regardless.

IMG_1608.PNG
IMG_1609.PNG
love my Bestop underseat lock box, with a few well placed magnets, everything stays put and doesn't slide around. I keep a copy of my DL/CCW in there as well, in case a cop wants to open it himself.

Reactions: Chris and NicKnack
With all the police killings that have been happening the last couple of years cops are trained to always assume someone is armed. My brother in-law is about to complete his police academy here in Florida and he mentioned that. They also show them the dash cam videos of the many police assassinations caught on the officers body cam or dash cam. When it comes to a trunk I will agree no need to say anything unless they want to do a search. Now we drive TJ's and they really do not had a trunk. I will always lean of advising the officer that I am a legal CCW holder and I have a gun either on me or near me and if in my Jeep and have rifle in the back. This will show I have respect for the officer. This is only in states my Florida CCW has reciprocity.

When It comes to the North East (MD, NJ, NY, CT, MA and RI) I choose not to say anything. I vacation up in New Hampshire for winter break and always carry my hand gun. When I am getting close to MD I unload it and pack it in my locked gun case and put it at the farthest point away from me (Following the Federal Interstate Transport Law). If I were to get stopped in any of those states I would not disclose I have a gun in the vehicle.

Hopefully someday the CCW permit will be like a drivers license valid in every state

One thing I love about Florida is the long list of states I can use my CCW
Screenshot_20170420-075546.png

So, the advice to check your local and state laws is spot on. In Michigan, with a CCW you can transport without a care in the world, basically whatever you want. In your instance Chris, you would NOT have to declare, as the weapon is unloaded, the ammunition is stored separately, and its outside of arms reach. One of the big reasons I HAVE my permit is just to make transportation that much easier. I don't generally carry, but I also need to go places to shoot (I live in town, and as such, cannot discharge a weapon). Having a CCW means I can just toss my stuff in my range bag and go. Yes I have to declare if I were to get stopped, but that's not a big deal to me.

In Florida you do not need a CCW to transport your firearm. Of course you would have to in the process of going or coming from a shooting range, or gunsmith, or any FFL dealer, or gun show. If you got the CCW, then all bets are off the table, except for that cache of AK's with the ground out serial numbers, No amount of sweet talking gonna get you off the hook on that one. ouch! that one is gonna sting.

Not really sure how to interpret some of the newer gun laws, but here in Ohio, I have a "duty to inform" an officer that I have a firearm in the vehicle during a stop. Now, I know that means if I'm carrying my CC gun, but not sure if it applies to an unloaded gun, in the trunk.
Before Ohio had a CCW permit and you went out hunting or to the range, you never had to tell them you had a firearm in the vehicle, as long as you followed the transportation laws.
But times have changed and I'm not going to lose my CCW permit over some rookie cops' "interpretation" of the Law, so I'd probably make mention of it, just in case.

I have been watching this thread and biting my tongue until someone started talking about trigger happy police hiding behind their guns. If you ever get a chance to go through a citizen police academy please do so. You will get an eye opened!
There are millions of police interaction every day in this country. Several hit the news! Think about it. Beyond that I will say nothing or probably get banned! Erg!

I have made more traffic stops than the average copper, averaging 4 tickets a day!
Not once did I give a shit about the person being a CCW holder. If a person announced they were I always said" I'll make you a deal: "You don't touch your gun and I won't shot you." Always worked.

Would I tell an officer? Why would I?—-unless I had a weapon in the glove box that would be exposed if I had to get registration or insurance card out. I always considered anyone I encountered as armed until proven other wise. Was I hostile, aggressive, belligerent, bullying. Don't think so. Just careful.

I have been watching this thread and biting my tongue until someone started talking about trigger happy police hiding behind their guns. If you ever get a chance to go through a citizen police academy please do so. You will get an eye opened!
There are millions of police interaction every day in this country. Several hit the news! Think about it. Beyond that I will say nothing or probably get banned! Erg!

I have made more traffic stops than the average copper, averaging 4 tickets a day!
Not once did I give a shit about the person being a CCW holder. If a person announced they were I always said" I'll make you a deal: "You don't touch your gun and I won't shot you." Always worked.

Would I tell an officer? Why would I?—-unless I had a weapon in the glove box that would be exposed if I had to get registration or insurance card out. I always considered anyone I encountered as armed until proven other wise. Was I hostile, aggressive, belligerent, bullying. Don't think so. Just careful.
Stinger...you probably can't vouch for Florida. But in Oregon, when you pull someone over and run the registration, does any CCW info for that particular owner of the vehicle show up as well? BTW...big thanx for your service to the country, much appreciated.

Stinger...you probably can't vouch for Florida. But in Oregon, when you pull someone over and run the registration, does any CCW info for that particular owner of the vehicle show up as well? BTW...big thanx for your service to the country, much appreciated.
You are welcome. I loved law enforcement because it gave me a chance to, once again, make a difference.

The vehicle registration has nothing to do with the owner. In Utah, the CCW is tied to a drivers license and I assume it is also in a majority of states. So when a vehicle is pulled over there is NO CCW information known. There is no information on the driver because the driver is unknown. In addition, in my case when I made a traffic stop I had NOT run the registration on the vehicle. UNDERSTAND THIS! Each stop in normal traffic work was a surprise.