Getting the vibes again

LilHammer97

TJ Enthusiast
Been a while since I have logged on but I'm getting some slight vibrations and a little shimmy around 50 mph. I did have death wobble a few months back but I got that fixed! But now I have a slight vibration with a shimmy around 50 mph I also done my front and rear brakes when I was fixing my death wobble situation and I didnt notice any bad bearings or u joints. It almost felt like death wobble at first but was not near as violent. I took it to a car wash to wash all the mud and gunk out from underneath and that is when I noticed one of my sway bar links bolts was loose so I tightened it back up too and that calmed it down maybe 80%. It does disappear after 55 mph. Anyone got any advice? I am taking it to get tires balanced and front end inspected and alighened tomorrow. I will post back with some results after wheel and tire balance/alignment.

Well an alignment and tire balance didn't help. I did watch them balance my tires to perfection. I was watching my axle when my friend turned the wheel and my axle side of my track bar was moving and the bushing to my stabilizer seems to move a little too. Can anybody tell me the proper torque for these or does anybody have a link to the torque specs for these bolts?

Well an alignment and tire balance didn't help. I did watch them balance my tires to perfection. I was watching my axle when my friend turned the wheel and my axle side of my track bar was moving and the bushing to my stabilizer seems to move a little too. Can anybody tell me the proper torque for these or does anybody have a link to the torque specs for these bolts?

Torque specs should be listed in the FSM at this link:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/

Reactions: Chris
I remember back in the day doing alignments, anybody coming in complaining of shimmy or vibration 1. Tire balance 2. loose or worn front end components. Even the drive shaft loosing a balance weight. Mud on a spinning shaft or wheel causing out of balance.

I'm gonna take it and pressure wash the heck out of it later and the recheck and re torque everything. The mechanic I take all my vehicles too when I can't figure it out said to loose everything up while it's under it's own weight and then re torque everything I can. Is this a good or bad idea?
I remember back in the day doing alignments, anybody coming in complaining of shimmy or vibration 1. Tire balance 2. loose or worn front end components. Even the drive shaft loosing a balance weight. Mud on a spinning shaft or wheel causing out of balance.

Hey guys I think I've found my problem my track bar is moving side to side when I turn my wheel a little. So I torqued it down to 55 and it still does it. Anybody got a good track bar recommendation? Not too pricey but of good quality

Hey guys I think I've found my problem my track bar is moving side to side when I turn my wheel a little. So I torqued it down to 55 and it still does it. Anybody got a good track bar recommendation? Not too pricey but of good quality
Your axle slide hole may be elongated due to the excessive play in the trackbar. Thus simply replacing the trackbar may not solve your issues. One fix for that could be to weld washers over the holes to reduce the play.

Alternatively, some track bars come with oversized hardware that requires you to drill larger holes, thus resolving the elongation issue.

This Currie model requires that both the frame side and axle side be drilled out:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIYGXJ2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Alternatively, some track bars come with oversized hardware that requires you to drill larger holes, thus resolving the elongation issue.
An oversized bolt in a new oversized hole will still eventually elongate if not properly torqued. The larger (stronger) bolt would allow additional torque if needed.

Reactions: Steel City 06
How does your trackbar mount to the frame side? Is it like a normal tierod end or has the mount been drilled out to take a straight bolt? And if it's been drilled out what size is the bolt? Depending on the trackbar you have now will help to determine the right bar to get.

Sadly it's that adjustable forged one from rough country. And the PO drilled it out to fit a 7/16 bolt so idk if I could go any higher in bolt size on the axle side. The frame side has not been drilled or reamed so it should be good.