Gladiator Jeep wave: yay or nay?

So there is an opinion here that a TJ is not a real Jeep. I think the TJ is that last real Jeep. Difference between a Willy's Jeep and a TJ-Coil springs, fuel injectors, slight difference in the body design, bigger better engine a bit wider, but really the same set up as any other Jeep. Short wheel base four wheel drive vehicle. Now I do agree that the JKs and JLs looks more like a soccer mom SUV. I wave at Jeeps through the TJs. Jk and JL don't wave anyway.

Funny. I passed a Gladiator coming the other way today and he waved - reflexively, I waved back.

Came on here to see what the consensus was on if we wave to them or not.

Reactions: reddvltj
Well if you've already have I guess there's not much we can do about it....

what I think we should do is have the person post the picture of the Gladiator they saw

If we approve it as being Worthy

Then you run the person down and wave.

We are really trying hard to keep things from getting out of hand.

Last edited:
So there is an opinion here that a TJ is not a real Jeep. I think the TJ is that last real Jeep. Difference between a Willy's Jeep and a TJ-Coil springs, fuel injectors, slight difference in the body design, bigger better engine a bit wider, but really the same set up as any other Jeep. Short wheel base four wheel drive vehicle. Now I do agree that the JKs and JLs looks more like a soccer mom SUV. I wave at Jeeps through the TJs. Jk and JL don't wave anyway.

I almost always throw out a wave when I pass a Wrangler, and you are correct; JKs and JLs rarely wave back. I would estimate that the TJ wave return rate (WRR) is over 75%, whereas the JK and JL WRR is around 40%. I have no data to back up these numbers.

My hypothesis is that the overwhelming majority of TJ owners are well aware that they are TJ owners, which also means that they are enthusiasts. They know what they're driving, what the machine can do, and how the machine stacks up in the history of its evolution. I think there are far more TJ owners who can tell you about their engine & drivetrain than JK or JL folks, and that is something that brings them together, thus increasing the WRR.

Reactions: reddvltj
I waved at a JK the other day and got this r-e-a-l-l-y confused looking back at me...made me laugh and shake my head...my youngest said " They just don't get it aye Dad " 😊
my youngest said " They just don't get it aye Dad "
This right here is PRICELESS!!!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I've replied to these waving posts before and tend to not be the first to initiate a wave on any newer Jeep but I have to admit, since i've been sporadically driving mine again just last weekend I had a Gladiator and at least 4 JK's all wave at me when they see me passing. Gave me a guilty conscience. And yes I did wave back.

I waved at a JK the other day and got this r-e-a-l-l-y confused looking back at me...made me laugh and shake my head...my youngest said " They just don't get it aye Dad " 😊

That's hilarious. My 5 year old girl CONSTANTLY looks for other Wranglers when she's in the back, and she waves to every single one. She's starting to read pretty well now, and one day she noticed a newer Cherokee and read the nameplate. She said "Dad, that's a Jeep? Should I wave?" I told her she can try but don't expect a wave back.

I believe the Jeep Waving Hierarchy dictates that newer Jeeps must initiate the wave to elder Jeeps. As such, JKs, JLs, and JTs need to wave first. Since most people who own them aren't real Jeepers, they rarely do. But when they do I return the favor. Also, if a newer Jeep is obviously built for REAL off-roading (not just for show) and looks good, I will sometimes initiate.

There's not a lot of waving going on in the urban areas out here. But when I'm out in the more remote areas like the deserts and mountains, I find the majority of Jeepers wave.

Remember NIKE:

JUST DO IT

It’s a Jeep thing , whether you get a wave back or not
( IMHO )
There’s a few new Gladiators up here in the Peacecountry ,speak Fort Saint John and Dawson Creek ,British Columbia

I’m surprised I haven’t seen a single one modified yet

—•|||||•— 👋🏿
Local buddy of min here on the coast. Sold his built LJ and bought a JT and modded it right away

jt.jpg

I wave at all jeeps sans the libertys and patriots etc. I have found where I live that more JLs and JTs wave back than the older jeeps...I think the newer generation is getting more marketing and YT/Insta education on the Jeep life....its really fun!