Glove box lock cylinder survey

20210928_202639.jpg

Ok, I'll bite... What are you after, @mrblaine ?
I'm painting a glove box door. We looked up how to remove the lock cylinder in the FSM. No mention is made of that hole whatsoever and in fact all the digging around we did showed that you access the removal pin from the back side. I fetched up several more doors and none of them had the hole. I bought one on eBay and it had no hole. I finally bought a lock cylinder from Q-tec to see if it came with directions and it did not. Looking at the cylinder, it is obvious how it has to be manipulated to be removed, but without the hole, you can't depress the lock tab to turn the lock cylinder the opposite direction to like up the slot with the tab on the other end so it can be removed. I had to lay out and drill the hole to make it all work. All of the online posts in forums I found stopped when no one could figure it out.

After that was done, we started checking the other rigs and found one with the hole. So, I wanted to know how common that is.

I'm painting a glove box door. We looked up how to remove the lock cylinder in the FSM. No mention is made of that hole whatsoever and in fact all the digging around we did showed that you access the removal pin from the back side. I fetched up several more doors and none of them had the hole. I bought one on eBay and it had no hole. I finally bought a lock cylinder from Q-tec to see if it came with directions and it did not. Looking at the cylinder, it is obvious how it has to be manipulated to be removed, but without the hole, you can't depress the lock tab to turn the lock cylinder the opposite direction to like up the slot with the tab on the other end so it can be removed. I had to lay out and drill the hole to make it all work. All of the online posts in forums I found stopped when no one could figure it out.

After that was done, we started checking the other rigs and found one with the hole. So, I wanted to know how common that is.
I just wanted to say "thank you." For educational purposes I disassemled the glove box latch assembley. I attempted to remove the lock cylinder as outlined in the FSM. I used a 2000-01 FSM 8E-20.
Using a modified trans pick from the back side of the latch would probably work much better then a small screw driver.
Nowhere in the FSM does it mention the use of the access hole to remove the lock cylinder.

I just wanted to say "thank you." For educational purposes I disassemled the glove box latch assembley. I attempted to remove the lock cylinder as outlined in the FSM. I used a 2000-01 FSM 8E-20.
Using a modified trans pick from the back side of the latch would probably work much better then a small screw driver.
Nowhere in the FSM does it mention the use of the access hole to remove the lock cylinder.
No pick will reach the locking tab from the back side. Nothing will reach it from the front. The only way to remove it is to push a 5/64" drill bit shank in that hole and then turn it the opposite direction from normal. Only then will the cylinder rotate to line up the slot in the cylinder with the tab in the hole that you can see from the other end.

The lock tab also can not be manipulated from the key slot once a key is put in to turn the cylinder. You can move it without the key in, no room once the key is in.

Or at least that is the case on several I have here.