Glove box lock cylinder survey

not that it matters at all but i also have the tiniest hole right above the lock on the backside or inside of the door it might be 2/64" i dont think a toothpick would fit in but it appears to be from the factory.

I attempted to rekey the lock to my glovebox door today and based on this thread and some experimentation have learned a bit more. I don’t see any way that the lock cylinder can be removed from the rear. It appears the hole is a necessity. The lock cylinder is made out plastic. In the picture below there is a red arrow pointing at the black piece that is depressed when pushing the drill bit through hole. It allows the cylinder to turn clockwise so it can be removed. It is not necessary to have a key that unlocks the cylinder to remove it.

The lock cylinder does not use the same size tumblers as the other locks on the jeep. They are narrower, and an example is circled in red next to a regular chrysler 8 cut tumbler. The tumblers are a friction fit, they can be removed by pushing with a bit of force from the back side (the side where the tumblers are inset not protruding). I used small needle nose pliers to do so.

If you need to drill a hole, make sure you drill it close enough to the lock face. You can see in the picture I started to far back and had to butcher mine a bit compared to a factory hole.

The glove box lock as well as locking gas caps use Chrysler 7 cut wafers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1337524459...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

A36112C2-678B-4B5D-AB56-528027E4625A.jpeg

827DF98E-2F02-468E-ABF9-B8B84FE76770.jpeg

DF8067EE-74D3-41BC-B25D-B1CB50ABBA3C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJTJ04
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
No pick will reach the locking tab from the back side. Nothing will reach it from the front. The only way to remove it is to push a 5/64" drill bit shank in that hole and then turn it the opposite direction from normal. Only then will the cylinder rotate to line up the slot in the cylinder with the tab in the hole that you can see from the other end.

The lock tab also can not be manipulated from the key slot once a key is put in to turn the cylinder. You can move it without the key in, no room once the key is in.

Or at least that is the case on several I have here.

This has the last part of my dash swap. Thank you!