glwood's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Doubtful. I've had good luck with Rugged Ridge stuff. With something this simple, it's pretty hard to mess up.

They are Amazon Prime too, so if they don't fit, you can send them back for free without hassle.

Makes sense. I will order and see how I like them. Sorry @glwood for hijacking.

Reactions: Chris
Day one home
View attachment 33588 View attachment 33589 View attachment 33590

Lost the rack & chrome nerf bars, got new 32" tires
View attachment 33591
BB and Rancho shocks
View attachment 33592
Top down, Body Armor rails, nets on,
View attachment 33593

Jeep buds - Bailey and IgnacioView attachment 33594
OME suspension replaced the BB
View attachment 33595
Dirtworx bumpers front & rear
View attachment 33597 View attachment 33598
Trying to talk the Tacoma out of the carport
View attachment 33599
Sharp!

@glwood just curious, when you purchased your TJR, was the transmission a factor, in other words, would you have purchased if it had a 5 speed manual ?
And weren't you driving your 1st owner JK at the time, just wondered what made you pull the trigger on the TJR ? Low mileage?

@glwood just curious, when you purchased your TJR, was the transmission a factor, in other words, would you have purchased if it had a 5 speed manual ?
And weren't you driving your 1st owner JK at the time, just wondered what made you pull the trigger on the TJR ? Low mileage?
I was driving a 2012 JK Sport at the time I purchased the TJR. The transmission actually had nothing to do with the decision at the time. I would have bought it with the 5-speed also, if, after driving it, it impressed me as much as driving the auto tranny did...I have to say, though, I did test drive a 2004 manual transmission Sport a few years ago, and that one, whether it was because it had a few more miles on it, or what, did NOT impress me. It was clunky, loud, and nothing like I had driven in a TJ Wrangler previously with the AX-15.

Looking back, though, I am perfectly happy with the choice of the auto tranny.

The 1st owner 2007 JKR was about 6 Jeeps ago, so I did not decide to give that one up for the current TJR. That's another story...

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
Transmission was a factor. Driving a Jeep is great fun. This Ruby is my 5th Jeep. I think driving a 4-5-or 6 speed adds to the jeep experience .Automatics are great for rock crawling but that is not all I do with my Ruby..............YAR!!

Reactions: JMT and KCsTJ
Autos are great for city driving. I live in a fish bowl, surrounded by mountains, so the 5 speed seemed more appropriate for me. And you're right the NV3550 trany is a noisy bastard like a box of rocks in a tumbler, but they are practically bullet proof.

IMG_6903.JPG

Finished up the transfer case shifter mod today, after having received a replacement shift rod from

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=222704377496

Unfortunately, the second shift rod was just like the first one. I ended up just cutting about 3/16 off the end of the rod, to make it match the length of the oem shift rod, and drilled a new hole for the spring clip. Works perfectly now, shifts like it's supposed to. Here's the photos of the installation, and now I just have to decide whether to go with the 1 7/8" knob, or the 2 1/8" knob. I like the looks of the larger knob, but my hand hits it when I shift the automatic transmission shifter, it's a bit too close. I think the larger knob would work great with a standard transmission shifter. Here's some photos of the project:

IMG_1175.JPG IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1179.JPG IMG_1180.JPG
Larger shift knob:
IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1183.JPG

Now, after the completed installation. First, the larger knob:
IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1193.JPG

And the smaller knob:
IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1198.JPG

I think I will stay with the smaller knob, it just seems to work better. All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out. It's a lot easier to grab and shift than the oem shifter, which you have to reach for...

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
All the while you're transfer case is secretly telling you how much it would like TWO shift levers... you know... RubiCrawler style :D

All the while you're transfer case is secretly telling you how much it would like TWO shift levers... you know... RubiCrawler style :D
Oh, I know that for a fact. Thing is, I believe the RubiCrawler comes with its own shifters, doesn't it? Those make this project extinct once I actually get one of those.

There was some guy on here who was going to install a Rubicrawler and do a write up for the rest of us little people...rumor has it he farmed the work out to a shop, so we'll never find out if a shade tree mechanic can actually install one in their driveway...:rolleyes:

Reactions: tomtaylz and JMT
Oh, I know that for a fact. Thing is, I believe the RubiCrawler comes with its own shifters, doesn't it? Those make this project extinct once I actually get one of those.

There was some guy on here who was going to install a Rubicrawler and do a write up for the rest of us little people...rumor has it he farmed the work out to a shop, so we'll never find out if a shade tree mechanic can actually install one in their driveway...:rolleyes:

Yes, the RubiCrawler includes those CNC aluminum shifters, as well as the handles. They look really good too!

Haha... Rumor is that guy has a 2 year old, a 5 year old, and a 7 month pregnant wife... trying to find the time to do anything like I used to is nearly impossible.

Oh, I could have got it done alright, it would have just taken over a month I suspect!

Yes, the RubiCrawler includes those CNC aluminum shifters, as well as the handles. They look really good too!

Haha... Rumor is that guy has a 2 year old, a 5 year old, and a 7 month pregnant wife... trying to find the time to do anything like I used to is nearly impossible.

Oh, I could have got it done alright, it would have just taken over a month I suspect!
Well, at least post up some good reviews and your impressions of the functionality once you get it back...

Finished up the transfer case shifter mod today, after having received a replacement shift rod from

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=222704377496

Unfortunately, the second shift rod was just like the first one. I ended up just cutting about 3/16 off the end of the rod, to make it match the length of the oem shift rod, and drilled a new hole for the spring clip. Works perfectly now, shifts like it's supposed to. Here's the photos of the installation, and now I just have to decide whether to go with the 1 7/8" knob, or the 2 1/8" knob. I like the looks of the larger knob, but my hand hits it when I shift the automatic transmission shifter, it's a bit too close. I think the larger knob would work great with a standard transmission shifter. Here's some photos of the project:

View attachment 58986 View attachment 58987 View attachment 58988 View attachment 58989 View attachment 58990 View attachment 58991
Larger shift knob:
View attachment 58992 View attachment 58993

View attachment 58995 View attachment 58996 View attachment 59002

And the smaller knob:
View attachment 59007 View attachment 59008 View attachment 59009 View attachment 59010

I think I will stay with the smaller knob, it just seems to work better. All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out. It's a lot easier to grab and shift than the oem shifter, which you have to reach for...
The smaller one looks better IMHO. I like the knob, good choice

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.

View attachment 58986 View attachment 58987 View attachment 58988 View attachment 58989 View attachment 58990 View attachment 58991
Larger shift knob:
View attachment 58992 View attachment 58993

View attachment 58995 View attachment 58996 View attachment 59002

And the smaller knob:
View attachment 59007 View attachment 59008 View attachment 59009 View attachment 59010

They give you a choice of two different size knobs?

They give you a choice of two different size knobs?
No, I ordered them separate from the shift rod, from Ebay from two different sellers. Each had their own version of knob, size, and type of thread adapter. I saw the larger while waiting for the replacement shift rod, and thought I would try it. It was only $21.

Last edited: