GMRS Antenna Mount Options

CodaMan

California Escapee
Supporting Member
My Jeeps mates all run GMRS radios. I have handheld radios but I'm going to do a hard mount radio. I'm struggling over antennas.

Here are the two options I'm looking at. Opinions?

1) Mount a 6 db gain 32" whip antenna on my passenger side taillight using a Teraflex mount. It would mirror my drivers side mount that has the CB antenna.

or

2) Remove one of the hood snubbers and use a 3/8" NMO mount cable with the existing hole and then use a 3 db gain 3.5" snubby antenna on the hood. The 3.5" could be removed and stored easily and a rain cap placed on the NMO mount where it would look just like a snubber.

Thoughts?

Pictures below

IMG_20180906_195434915.jpg

MXTA26-6db-Whip-Antenna.jpg

MXTA25-600x400_3.jpg

I would choose Option #1, but its been two months since the question was originally posed so the decision has probably already been made.

Why Option #1? Because someday one may want to grow into a ham radio or other communications platform and the Teraflex tail light antenna mount will be more versatile in such an event.

Ham Radio Antenna Mount 07 04 19.jpg

So glad I found this thread cause I was debating the two options you listed and ultimately chose option 1 like you. But I had the same question as thomat65, where did you find a Teralex mount that will fit the nmo antenna setup? I only see the Teraflex mounts for the CB radio style with smaller holes.
You can find 3/4" NMO mounts too. This isn't Teraflex and I haven't bought it yet but it has good reviews on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLCLUJ6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So you mean I can use that nmo cable with a regular teraflex tail light mount?

I had purchased this one from Midland: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0842B1WFS/?tag=wranglerorg-20
and was looking for a tail light mount to fit it. I guess I can do it the other way around?
Oh sorry I think I misunderstood you. I believe people are just drilling out the Teraflex tail light mount. Apparently there's enough material there to do that. I can't speak from personal experience though.

If you mount it on your hood doesn't it hit your windshield/frame when you are wheeling?
The base doesn't have a spring so no it doesn't move around even close enough to get near the windows. Unless, I suppose, a branch hit the upper part it might swing back to hit but that applies to any antenna mount. I have the same setup as @CodaMan and never had an issue. My CB radio on the other side has a spring and that one actually does swing back to hit my soft top sometimes

J-bar antenna under the rear roll bar pads. That's how I have my GMRS antenna set up. My radios are hidden so it's an incognito setup.

This is the little "rubber ducky" unity gain magnet mount that came with my new GMRS radio. I may or may not replace it in the future, but you can see it on the front driver's fender, eclipsed by the CB antenna further back. The nice thing is that I can move it to the center of the hood when I'm on a trail - *IF* I feel the need to, and put it back out of the way when I'm done...
00.jpg

So glad I found this thread cause I was debating the two options you listed and ultimately chose option 1 like you. But I had the same question as thomat65, where did you find a Teralex mount that will fit the nmo antenna setup? I only see the Teraflex mounts for the CB radio style with smaller holes.
I used the Teraflex CB mount and drilled it out to fit the 3/8" NMO. Piece of cake.

https://midlandusa.com/product/micromobile-mxta24-low-profile-antenna-cable/

Reactions: SkylinesSuck