GMRS or CB for Emergency Comms

Photocycler

Sometimes I like to explore solo, not doing any hard trails or crazy snow but just basics trailing in no coverage areas in the woods of Oregon.

I was wondering if GMRS would be good for getting a distress signal out or calling for help? In the area I go I imagine there are probably more CBs but not sure if that should sway my choice?

Reactions: Vasq
I have both the CB and the GMRS for trail runs. But I also carry an InReach which is what I always carry and if running alone it for sure would be my go to unit. It is basically a Satellite texting device, if you run into an emergency you hit the SOS button and they send out the troops. Since they have your gps coordinates they know were you are. You can also text anyone you want which can be a marriage saver. If you breakdown or are running late and your wife is at home waiting on you they Strat thinking the worst like you rolled over in a ditch someplace. So can text them telling them them your running late but everything is ok.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269/pn/010-01735-10
inreach.jpg

GMRS is limited to line of sight.

GMRS would be handy if you have access to a repeater near to where you are exploring. You'd still need line of sight to reach a repeater, but they are most likely on the top of a mountain. You'd also have to know how to access said repeater, so some research on your part. CB in heavily wooded areas, you'd be lucky to have a mile of range unless you are sportn' a 100 watt illegal amp.

Reactions: D M
GMRS is also unlikely to have random people monitoring any given channel. Ham and CB both *may* have someone listening - particularly the former.
HAM is the most likely, especially at any meaningful distance. However locally I have been hearing more chatter on random GMRS channels and local repeaters.

Neither is a good choice if you are alone off-road in an emergency situation. If you can reach someone in an emergency by CB you probably could have just walked over and talked to them. In most areas GMRS wouldn't be much better. Instead use a vehicle mounted Ham radio so you can reliably hit repeaters or go with something like Spot or Inreach.

If you need to rely on it to save your life, ham would be a better option but it's still no gauruntee. If you know you have repeater coverage in the area you plan to be though, GMRS would be worlds better than CB. CB (or GMRS on simplex for that matter) isn't going to do much for you that a long walk through the woods wouldn't do anyways unless you know somebody is in range and monitoring. There are of course specific instances where you could do a lot better. Where are you planning to go?

Reactions: rasband
Sometimes I like to explore solo, not doing any hard trails or crazy snow but just basics trailing in no coverage areas in the woods of Oregon.
Go prepared to spend the night, tell people where you are going, wait for help when your shit breaks if you can't fix it. You'd think everybody died when they had a flat tire before cell phones.

Reactions: rasband
You can also text anyone you want which can be a marriage saver. If you breakdown or are running late and your wife is at home waiting on you they Strat thinking the worst like you rolled over in a ditch someplace. So can text them telling them them your running late but everything is ok.
This is the key reason to get sat. The gap between dead in three hours and just injured enough that I can press a button but not survive until help arrives in a few days is something Garmin doesn't want you to think too much about. The wife thing is priceless.

Go prepared to spend the night, tell people where you are going, wait for help when your shit breaks if you can't fix it. You'd think everybody died when they had a flat tire before cell phones.
The prepper fools call it a bug out bag. I call it a get home bag and regardless of season I can walk out or stay in place for at least three days and more if necessary.

Reactions: pagrey and rasband